Self-catered uni accommodation (1 Viewer)

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
So, i've applied for self-catered on-campus accommodation, thinking to myself "hey, it's cheaper, and i'll save money on food".... i don't know what i was thinking at the time i applied, but it suddenly dawned upon me..... i don't actually know how to cook. Like, i can cook certain dishes for special occasions, but i don't actually know how to cook for myself (or anyone else for that matter) on a daily basis.

Please tell me bos... am i screwed? =\

Evilo

HSC
lol, its pretty easy to learn to cook.
If i was you i would help mum/dad with the cooking with the dinners all the way up until you start uni.

Most little meals are pretty easy to create. The trick is to keep the costs down by not purchasing ful priced meats etc and buying in bulk. there are plenty of threads here of what to cook. Google is also your friend too.

As per cooking, you'll pick up those little tricks (i.e. when pasta is cooked, when meat is well done etc) with time spent with your parents. I wouldn't suggest taking [most] cooking classes/book unless you're really bad (because most of them are usually designed to make gourmet food). Actually the only book i would suggest buying is Edmonds Cookbook ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonds_Cookbook for explanation) - but essentially its every new zealands housewifes cheat sheet for cooking.

In the days before you leave home i would suggest 'going solo' on a few family dinners. Remember ou can probably cook the same quantities as your family - then divide the meals into plastic containers and freeze them for casual meals too.
Hope this helps

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
learned to cook :p it's not hard. Sure you'll have to endure a few weeks of bad cooking, but once you get the hang of it, its a cinch

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
thanks for the advice. :) so, basically i just have to cook and cook and cook as much as i can up till i leave for uni? okay, as of today, i shall be taking over the kitchen! :D I never thought of using google to look for things to cook. :p thanks very much ^^

Evilo

HSC
sure, yeah practice makes perfect.
Also google things like '30 minute meals' etc and see what happens
Otherwise you could live on a diet of mee-goreng and french toast for the length of your degree.

aja152

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
sure, yeah practice makes perfect.
Also google things like '30 minute meals' etc and see what happens
Otherwise you could live on a diet of mee-goreng and french toast for the length of your degree.
i love mi goreng and french toast :d

hannahxxx

HSC
GenForShort said:
I've been living off soup and Mac and Cheese for years now =p
lol. I can remember when I first started living in self-catered on campus accommodation a yr ago....I really had no idea about cooking....and I still don't.
We got a new flatmate yesterday and I was sitting with him in the kitchen when he said to me "this mince doesn't have instructions on it"....I had to help him out....it was quite sad.....anywho:
a) Trick is buy things in bulk ( do a weekly shopping list) so you don't run out and do impulse buys of takeaway.
b) do very SIMPLE and healthy meals-get a cookbook-basic cooking definitely isn't hard
c) maybe pre-prepare meals during exam period. Put leftovers in fridge and don't waste
Good luck with your cooking adventures!

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
hannahxxx said:
lol. I can remember when I first started living in self-catered on campus accommodation a yr ago....I really had no idea about cooking....and I still don't.
We got a new flatmate yesterday and I was sitting with him in the kitchen when he said to me "this mince doesn't have instructions on it"....I had to help him out....it was quite sad.....anywho:
a) Trick is buy things in bulk ( do a weekly shopping list) so you don't run out and do impulse buys of takeaway.
b) do very SIMPLE and healthy meals-get a cookbook-basic cooking definitely isn't hard
c) maybe pre-prepare meals during exam period. Put leftovers in fridge and don't waste
Good luck with your cooking adventures!
Haha, I'll probably be like your new flatmate. :p

thanks for your advice. :)

Oh, and, thanks Evilo for the 30-min-meals google suggestion. Definitely helpful. =)

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
I think that Evilo already told you all that you need to know :)

But i also suggest that you keep some canned foods, tuna, noodles and stuff. Its also not that hard to make a simple stir fry (you can fry some meat or chicken, and just throw in some of those frozen veggies, add a bit of spices, wont take you long at all).
You'd get the hang of cooking quicker then you think you would, its not really hard, you just gotta watch the mess....clean the kitchen up regularly, i just hate wishing the dishes/cleaning the kitchen after the cooking's done, its worse then cooking imo :p

Goodluck :)

Evilo

HSC
yeah no probs, but seriously have a look at that book though - its been around for as long as New Zealand was colonised, and its one of those "cut the crap" cook books. Its not all about making food for a 5star resturant, its about just putting a meal together.

Also anything can be mixed with eggs, bread, milk and sausage. I instantly thought of something that includes all of them together! experiementing is the easiest way, if something fuks up - dont have it again lol.

Few ideas
Spaghetti bolognaise - Dolmio + pasta + 400gram of mince meat
French toast - Old bread + milk + egg
Burgers - any meat, any bread, any salad etc
Noodles - noodles + diced pork + carrots etc
Make-Your-Own Pizzas (my personal favourite) - any base (english muffins, lebanese bread, toast, anything) + pizza toppings + cheese
Pasta - Continential pasta etc (family size) with something on the side (usually meat for me lol)
Sausage sandwhich - just like a year 10 bbq lol
EvilO's Family Ultimo Pizza (half a pizza is my record in one sitting) - buy a pre made family pizza (inclusing toppings) + 400 grams of cheese + 500grams of chicken. Dice & Cook chicken then throw it all ontop of the pizza.
Oven bake - Pasta, meat, cheese etc - use the interweb
lasagne - straight from coles

Tips
Only buy shit on special
buy in bulk
Dont have takeaway - maybe have a takeaway night
Pizza hut does online pizzas @ $6 for a large (pickup from dickson)
Aldi is good, but look at quality (God i wish coles was in civic)
Superbarn is expensive
If you can't cook for shit - get a gf/bf who can cook. Then swap sex for meals etc. (jk)

Edit - oops names mentioned were places in canberra. Just ignore them.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
For all meats, get a turbo broiler

Throw in the meat and cook...or if you want tasty stuff put some season all on beforehand and then throw the meat in and cook.

Thought Shark

HSC
Evilo said:
EvilO's Family Ultimo Pizza (half a pizza is my record in one sitting) - buy a pre made family pizza (inclusing toppings) + 400 grams of cheese + 500grams of chicken. Dice & Cook chicken then throw it all ontop of the pizza.
Holy shit. That's like a week's worth of saturated fat and salt.

Some food tips:
Even though I know you're a girl, go to a service station and buy the latest Men's Health magazine. With it should be an obscenely bright orange book spouting the words "The Abs Diet' on the cover. Basically, the abs diet is a very non strict diet full of great food that will not only get you eating healthy, but also cut down a lot on your food preparation time. The book is full of a ton of healthy recipes that taste really good (I've been eating almost exclusively out of the book for at least a week or so now) and take only a few minutes to prepare.

If you also look in some bookshops, there is the womens' version of the Abs Diet book somewhere - my mother owns a copy, so I know it exists. This might be a little better for your gender-specific nutritional needs, although generic healthy eating principles are universal.

A couple of recipes for you as well, which are both quite healthy and very tasty.

Quick Omelette
2 eggs
A couple of rashers of bacon, grilled (however many you feel like - they're high-ish in protein, but also high-ish in salt)
2 cherry tomatoes (or a slice of tomato), diced.

Crack 2 eggs into a microwave safe container and stir them until the white and the yolk are combined into a nice smooth yellow liquid. Dice the cooked bacon and the tomatoes and add to the egg. Stick it in the microwave for 2 to 2.5 minutes on high, add sauce/flavouring/whatever and eat. Tis an excellent breakfast, but works well for any meal imo.

Asian sort-of salad
1 chicken breast, skinless (I recommend marinating before cooking)
Salad mix (aka whatever you want as the base of your salad - i use mainly lettuce, because the other stuff gives it flavour)
1 tablespoon of Coriander (this stuff is really strong - don't use too much of it or it'll taste like you're eating coriander by itself.)
2 tablespoons Flaked almonds or chopped almonds (very good for you)
1 Spring onion, chopped
Some green capsicum, chopped
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon olive oil

Cook the chicken in a pan or on the BBQ - whatever you can do better. Then chop the chicken up how you want to eat it with your salad. Start the salad by putting the salad mix on the bottom mixed in with the coriander, followed by everything else, making sure to put the almonds on last. Mix it around a bit if you want, and then throw the chicken on top. The dressing is simple: just put the orange juice all over the salad, followed by the olive oil, or you can mix them beforehand and then put them on - it's your choice. You can put the dressing on after or before the chicken and you then have a nice healthy salad that tastes good. You can also add some cooked prawns to this, which is rather nice as well.

Anywhoo, I hope I helped somewhat. Cooking is good fun, especially when you try and learn new things or ways to cook. It can be a bit trial-and-error at first, but it's a good skill and it is very satisfying to eat a good meal you cooked from scratch and holy crap i think i just made myself out to be some sort of gourmet chef by that paragraph. Hooray for pretentiousness.

Evilo

HSC
Thought Shark said:
Holy shit. That's like a week's worth of saturated fat and salt.
I have it like twice a year lol

Evilo

HSC
yeah like im in shape, and i exercise regularly. So it doesnt really kill me lol.
Its great though. I love it, and you're guaranteed to have left overs.
Btw you have to tower the cheese and meat, so keep the base on a piece of grease proof paper, and put the pizza on the middle-low racks.

Thought Shark

HSC
Evilo said:
yeah like im in shape, and i exercise regularly. So it doesnt really kill me lol.
Its great though. I love it, and you're guaranteed to have left overs.
Btw you have to tower the cheese and meat, so keep the base on a piece of grease proof paper, and put the pizza on the middle-low racks.
Advice noted. (Y)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)