~Sem 1 2012 Results~ (1 Viewer)

rayy_bann

HSC
Hey Guys,

Well many uni's have their own threads, so I decided to make one for Mac.

I hope everyone is pleased and/or fine with their first semester results! And that your efforts are reflected in it (of course if it was higher, then there should be no complains :p). Post your feelings/results if you choose~

Just like most, I think I could have done better. It's my first sem at uni and I guess its still taking time for me to adjust, but I hope to do better next sem. Just to put it out there, I'm doing Accounting 100 and BBA102 next sem. Do any of you people have any tips for me in relation to these subjects?

Thanks.

bimatty

HSC
I'm sorry to hear that you're not happy with your results? What were they exactly?

I am pretty pleased, I got one HD, 87, and one D, 78.

kkmok

HSC
Uni Grad
ACST202 Mathematics of Finance HD High Distinction 95
AFIN252 Applied Financial Analysis and Management HD High Distinction 90
STAT272 Probability HD High Distinction 91
STAT278 Computer Simulation HD High Distinction 97

AFIN252 is such a boring subject, just memorize all the formulas and theories.
Would've got a much higher mark if they do not include an essay for the assignment, because some new policy state that at least 20% of coursework must not be exam base.
Also no more essay for AFIN252 future students, because they marked really slow lol. (900+essays probably not fun for the lecturer I guess:p)

rayy_bann

HSC
ACST202 Mathematics of Finance HD High Distinction 95
AFIN252 Applied Financial Analysis and Management HD High Distinction 90
STAT272 Probability HD High Distinction 91
STAT278 Computer Simulation HD High Distinction 97

AFIN252 is such a boring subject, just memorize all the formulas and theories.
Would've got a much higher mark if they do not include an essay for the assignment, because some new policy state that at least 20% of coursework must not be exam base.
Also no more essay for AFIN252 future students, because they marked really slow lol. (900+essays probably not fun for the lecturer I guess:p)
Omg outstanding results! Congrats :)

rayy_bann

HSC
I'm sorry to hear that you're not happy with your results? What were they exactly?

I am pretty pleased, I got one HD, 87, and one D, 78.
Hi! Wow you got similar results to me. I got 1 HD and 2 Ds. I guess im alright with it. But i knew i ciuld have done better, for several reasons. But apart from that i cant complain. Im content. I just need to get dem straight HDs next sem :) (hopefully)

bimatty

HSC
Hi! Wow you got similar results to me. I got 1 HD and 2 Ds. I guess im alright with it. But i knew i ciuld have done better, for several reasons. But apart from that i cant complain. Im content. I just need to get dem straight HDs next sem :) (hopefully)
Lol, don't worry. There's really no difference between a d and HD. They both give you a 4.0 GPA towards your overall GPA result. At the end of the day the saying PS equal degrees is true, although I think it stupid to just aim to pass. It's always a good feeling to get more than just a pass.

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
LAW551 ALS internship HD
LAW488 access to justice D
LAW555 remedies D
LAW461 discrimination & the law Cr
LAW580 human rights & moral dilemmas Cr

been working and volunteering this semester so i expected my grades to go down a lot but it didn't - hopefully i can keep this up. i'm never going to overload law units again.

rayy_bann

HSC
LAW551 ALS internship HD
LAW488 access to justice D
LAW555 remedies D
LAW461 discrimination & the law Cr
LAW580 human rights & moral dilemmas Cr

been working and volunteering this semester so i expected my grades to go down a lot but it didn't - hopefully i can keep this up. i'm never going to overload law units again.
Wow! Congrats on such solid results! I hope I'll have enough motivation to have law grades like yours once I start doing those units. I've currently finished by Foundations of Law unit. It was really boring though :( I hope second sem law is more towards my liking :)

rayy_bann

HSC
Lol, don't worry. There's really no difference between a d and HD. They both give you a 4.0 GPA towards your overall GPA result. At the end of the day the saying PS equal degrees is true, although I think it stupid to just aim to pass. It's always a good feeling to get more than just a pass.
Yeah! I'm happy that I was able to maintain a 4.0 in my first sem at uni. But yes, that will surely decline in my 5 years here xD But in all honesty, transferring uni's may be a possibility for me. Thus, I'm assuming that they will standardise all university GPAs and will covert my Macquarie GPA to a 7 scale GPA. Which means that sadly yes, a HD is separated largely from a D.

AND TRUE. I believe people should always try to reach their potential in terms of grades. One person I met last semester told me she doesn't want to achieve HDs. Like even if it was set on a plate for her. Idk...i just find that weird.

rayy_bann

HSC
Btw, can I just ask, why do you only have 2 subjects? :p

I myself only have 3 GRADED subjects but my "Foundations of Law" unit is a pass or fail/ungraded unit. I passed but I don't get any numerical figure and it doesn't count to my GPA whatsover.

DAFUQ

HSC
ACST152 introduction to actuarial studies HD 85
ECON110 macroeconomics principle HD 86
MATH132 maths advanced HD 95
STAT171 statistical data analysis HD 96

ACST152 was probably the most interesting, but i hated the reports which pulled my marks down and robbed me of my free time.

haha. thats 1 essay less. : D

rayy_bann

HSC
ACST152 introduction to actuarial studies HD 85
ECON110 macroeconomics principle HD 86
MATH132 maths advanced HD 95
STAT171 statistical data analysis HD 96

ACST152 was probably the most interesting, but i hated the reports which pulled my marks down and robbed me of my free time.

haha. thats 1 essay less. : D
OOH Congrats! Btw, did you do ECON111 in the past? If so, how would you compare it to ECON110? Did YOU find it easier or harder? thanks!

bimatty

HSC
Btw, can I just ask, why do you only have 2 subjects? :p

I myself only have 3 GRADED subjects but my "Foundations of Law" unit is a pass or fail/ungraded unit. I passed but I don't get any numerical figure and it doesn't count to my GPA whatsover.
I'm in my fourth year now, and couldn't do more than 2 subjects in this semester. I also changed degrees, so am a bit all over the place in terms of number of units fitting into each semester.

In relation to your other post, you (as in generally, not you specifically) have to find an equal balance. Don't be so concerned if you don't get Ds and HDs for everything. A pass and/or credit here and there is no worrying matter, particularly a credit, which is still good. On the other hand, don't be so relaxed and just be content with Ps. That comment from that girl is rather odd, maybe she just thinks that HDs are beyond reach, and doesn't want to disappoint herself?

How does the 7.0 GPA scale work??

DAFUQ

HSC
OOH Congrats! Btw, did you do ECON111 in the past? If so, how would you compare it to ECON110? Did YOU find it easier or harder? thanks!
No, i haven't done ECON111, so i cant really give a comparison, but you should ask a 2nd year student for a proper comparison.
I would rate econ110 difficulty 3.5/5 (5 being hardest) and im NOT good at econ lol.
How is ECON111??

rayy_bann

HSC
I'm in my fourth year now, and couldn't do more than 2 subjects in this semester. I also changed degrees, so am a bit all over the place in terms of number of units fitting into each semester.

In relation to your other post, you (as in generally, not you specifically) have to find an equal balance. Don't be so concerned if you don't get Ds and HDs for everything. A pass and/or credit here and there is no worrying matter, particularly a credit, which is still good. On the other hand, don't be so relaxed and just be content with Ps. That comment from that girl is rather odd, maybe she just thinks that HDs are beyond reach, and doesn't want to disappoint herself?

thanks for the advice there! Yeah and I do understand what you mean by balancing. Which is so hard to do if I want to be competitive to transfer as well. LOL but ohwells.

Having a perfect 7.0 GPA means that you would have had ALL HDs in all your units. One distinction or lower would bring you to 6.xx GPA. Essentially if my GPA were to be converted I would 'believe' it to be 6.3 ish (i think). But I really really hope to bring it to 6.5+

DAFUQ

HSC

If you know how a 4.0 scale works, then 7.0 scale should be easy to understand.
Basicly: HD=7.0
D=6.0
C=5.0
P=4.0
Then do weighted average and you'll get your GPA

rayy_bann

HSC
No, i haven't done ECON111, so i cant really give a comparison, but you should ask a 2nd year student for a proper comparison.
I would rate econ110 difficulty 3.5/5 (5 being hardest) and im NOT good at econ lol.
How is ECON111??
Hi! Well I did Economics in HSC. And I believe ECON111 built on preliminary concepts as well an extension of some HSC economics. In saying that, I wasn't very good at Economics. I was no band 6'er. But I actually enjoyed ECON111. I don't know if I concentrated more. But I definitely know that my study habits haven't changed that much. So I don't really know why I have improved in Economics. Overall I would rate it a 3/5 in terms of difficulty.

But then again, all to their own. The vast majority of people I know/see on forums, say that ECON110 is easier and more fun. But I guess we can't judge unless we experience both!

kfnmpah

HSC
UNCLE is a piece of shit so no one here a) goes there b)makes a thread about it

EDUC2102 (educational psychology) 80 D
EDUC2195 (Placement) ungraded pass
MATH1120 76 D
STAT2000 (applied stats and research methods) 70 C (god dammit)

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Great marks everyone! I hope my subjects are going to be easy next semester...

I am doing

Econ110, ACCG106, ACST101 and LAW115 !!!!!!!!!!!!! noooooo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)