Senior Geography Project (1 Viewer)

Pocket-Sized

HSC
Well im posting it here because i was referred here rather than in the prelim part.. Im curious what topics other people did for their past geo project or what you are doing if your doing it currently aswell.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
I investigated "which strategies my local council are employing to reduce the amount of landfill waste and encourage recycling."

Which I thought was really easy and most of my SGP was made up and full of shit. So I dunno. Have Fun with it.

courtnez

Now, what I want is Facts
HSC
I assessed how modern Leichhardt has been heavily influenced by the Italian migrants, and in what aspects of the suburb can these influences be seen. It was actually reasonably fun to research and put together.

gibbo67

HSC
i did mine on the impact of the parramatta rail link on businesses within macquarie centre and the epping commercial precinct. things got a bit interesting midway through when the government announced the cancellation of the parramatta - epping section; i didn't do as well as i had thought i had done; though i must admit i wrote up all 7000+ words the weekend before it was due.

handy tip - don't write 7000 words for your SGP unless you plan to write a definitive EIS or DA, which is not what the markers are after - unless you give yourself plenty of time to edit and refine your work

heart

sm:)e
HSC
i did mine on whether the public transport in Baulkham Hills satisfied the needs of residents. I pretty much surveyed residents.
wow was ur project 7000 words. Thats heaps, i think ours was like 3000 max.

alayenay

HSC
I did 'Assess the impact of urban development on the Field of Mars.'...I think...it was in that general subject area. I did it in about a week and got 46/50 so :). Do something like that, something to do with the environment/traditional geography because it's easier to get good marks and apply a range of skills. Be a sellout like I was. :)

rockets

HSC
N/A
so what sort of things did you find out and write about? where did you get statistics for graphs etc. i'm doing impacts of housing around a park and having troubles getting data!!!!!

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
and if your lazy like me. I just emailed the council and told them my address.

They got me in touch with the Educational Officer and she sent me a whole bunch of stuff to my place.
And this is without me even leaving my room.

rockets

HSC
N/A
wow thanks for that, as u can probably tell i'm new to y 11 geog- only picked it up late when i dropped a subject which was a total reverse of what i thought it was going to be like. Anyway walked straight into sgp and I'm thinking wot do i do and like wot sort of things do u say or check out.
any help on type of skills to use or wot data/graphs to do would be great!!!!!!

elisabeth

HSC
Well, I did something on "investigatating the abundance of flotsam in public parks at x and y" - basically, it involved me counting rubbish in car parks, by the waterfront and in picnic areas on a twice weekly basis at two different locations for 6 months.

Heh, or it would have if I didn't prefer to make the whole lot up.

Personally, I reckon it's a great topic to do. I hadn't done geography since year 8 at my old school in London and my teacher suggested this. I don't reckon I could've done well on any of the topics other people have come up with here! Most people live around or on the water, so you can blab on about how our lives revolve around recreational activities by the water, and it's disturbing to see how polluted our waterways and parks are becoming. It's not really factually based, so you don't need to research much and you can make it up, if you're pressed for time or just lazy.

Anywho, 'results' in hand, then I tried to attribute the amount of litter to a number of factors: amount of visitors/cars/boats, number of bins in the area, types of bins (with/without lids), weather (wind, temperature...) and so on.

I made it up to say it was the number of people which had the biggest effect, which was influenced by the weather. The type of bins also was important on windy days when rubbish could be blown out of them.

I left it to the last few days to write, which I really regret because it was the shittest night of my life, staying up till 6:30 to get it done. I need sleep! But I got full marks, so it all worked out in the end.

Last edited:

Pocket-Sized

HSC
Thanks guys for seeding me your topics. Im planning to do something probably along the lines of Elisabeth's topic.

gibbo67

HSC
zenger69 said:
wow 7000 words. I'm impressed too.

Mine was barely 1500 and we had a max of 2000. And i still got 48/50.
i was irritated that i only got 31/40 for my sgp :(; the guy i sat next to got the same mark for doing a 15 slide power point presentation without a speech

HSC
'Australia's ageing population'
and then used a local case study or something a rather
I think I went a couple of times over the word limit but oh well

sphinxtress

HSC
hey pocket-sized, i'm doing my senior geography project on a local swimming pool that the council wanted to close down. I'm analyzing the effects that the closure of the pool would have on the local community.

jesster88

HSC
rockets said:
so what sort of things did you find out and write about? where did you get statistics for graphs etc. i'm doing impacts of housing around a park and having troubles getting data!!!!!
yeah i did that i know the parks manager of a council and i did mine "on open spaces in urban places" - a study of waterfront parks in the leichardt municipatlity and the strategies put in place when planning park infrastructure

it was really interesting i surveyed people in the park

i got 78% which is good considering i did it in one weekend - including surveying the residents who were at the park, taking fotos and doing a tally.

i lost marks for not collating my data properly

i think you have a good topic i just think you need to refine it

so yeah i just made like a big folio of info

and handed it in

also even though they arnt sposed to take marks off dont do wat i did in my haste to complete this assessment and mount the fotos so that they are all lopsided and crooked it makes it look as though u dont give a toss about your topic or your assignment

Last edited:

felixcthecat

HSC
i'm doing it on Luna Park~ due end of term ^^'' we had like checkpoints which made us keep doing it and not leave it to the last minute which was good for us hehe~ i'v done most of my report already so i guess i'm doing alrite.. hehe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)