Senior Science - Exam Thoughts (1 Viewer)

shona1990

HSC
No one does Senior Science??!
:p
Anyone? How'd you find the exam?

It was a lot easier than I anticipated, but I wish they'd asked more on the scientists contributing to our understanding of disease (for pharmaceuticals)... A TWO MARK question?!
GAH! I wrote like a page haha. I could have gone on forever about that... And the six mark question, I wrote barely 3/4 of a page! Sucks, but oh well. Glad it's over. All the communications questions were really easy, cos before that morning, I had no idea about ANYTHING to do with the topic... Lucky they asked what I studied! :)

skhan123

HSC
It was OK. not too bad. there was a couple of questions that were never taught to me i.e. the alveoli and modulation questions. The disasters questions werent so great either. In senior Science we learn so much and then they put in the most far out random questions that barely even test everything we have learnt. That was worst written exam i have ever done. BOS are trying be funny or something???

shona1990

HSC
Haha yeah, a lot were really random, just general knowledge questions! And I had NO idea about the alveoli question! I just left that first part of it blank! Felt soo bad doing that!

Lai

c a r p e . d i e m
HSC
'Random' thats a good way to describing it.

Additives and Preservatives was random beyond random, they threw in an article and asked about sources!!! What's food spoilage got to do with that!?!?

phoebe2007

HSC
i thought it was actually really hard... they weren't straight forward basic questions testing if you knew your stuff... i found some of the questions really perculiar... and i was counting on that to be my easiest exam
guess i should have studied harder!

hscbec101

HSC
I thought the exam was hard to be honest. i think thast questions worth 2 marks needed lots of explaining and questions worth 6 didnt. The alveoli question was about how the water is a surfactant. its a surface active agent to the alveoli. I wrote heaps on the non-invasive techniques. And the disaster topic was difficult. The experiment was difficult, cos hwo can do a safe fire experiment. So yeh.
Maths 2morro
YAY (no really yay)
xxx

happy101

HSC
N/A
hay all hope you did well does any one know what the answer was to the question in the core info technology bit about the wave modulation what type was it. And ive got to say i think they (BOS) is really loosing focus very random questions and the options all set out exactly the same with a table and an article crazy any way hope you all did well:confused:

ChrissyGirl2007

Vivimus Vivamus
HSC
well it was amplitude modulation. (AM Radio)
i finished my exam and hour early but i spent half and hour checking it. i thought i mustve missed some pages but no i didnt. i took up more space than what was provided in every question.. i think i did alright. good thing is i know i'll get the top mark in my class.. because i did come first in my class.

hayleyl

HSC
I thought it was hard, but I wasn't expecting go well in this subject its my worst I went to drop it so many times but it was one of my best ranks.
I also thought it was random, throughout the year you learn so much and in the exam they test so little of it :( Oh well only 4 more exams to go!!!!
Good luck for the rest of your exams :)

N1C0L3

HSC
i thought the test was shit...some questions were easy but alot of them were weird shit they have never asked before. I did every past paper from yr 2001 and this exam was the hardest senior science one by far. They 2 and 3 mark questions were tricky and they were deliberatly trying to screw with our minds...they are trying to be overly clever in the questions they make, but they were just crap and confusing.
glad its over.

KaLibuR

HSC
Hmmm the test was a bit topsy turvy. I got the modulation wrong, i said it was "digital modulation" (the only modulation I could remember) and explained that it took samples from both and added them together. Fingers crossed i got a few marks for that :(

The alveoli i knew nothing about. I spun some yarn about the surfactant in the water, which seemed to be correct (lucky), though I wasn't specific and prolly wont get that many marks.

I did, however, appreciate the 6 mark question "Describe how information systems have influenced society" (I dont have the paper infront of me but the question was along those lines). They gave us some room to breath on that one, at least it wasn't "Describe the characteristics of common surfactants and their use in everyday activities", which I would have failed miserably on :p

It wasn't as easy as the English exams, sadly, but it's over and you just gotta close your eyes and cross your fingers and hope the markers are generous! Ha!

KaLibuR

Pieces of Me

HSC
I think I did fairly well. There were a couple of questions I wasn't 100% sure with, like the bone saying label part X with which I put down compact bone then the next question talking about UHMWPE and then I talked about it in relation to cartilage? Also the alveoli question about the change in diameter I had know idea so talk about the water layer reducing the surface area. But other than that I think I should do alright.

KaLibuR

HSC
Yeah for the first bit of that question I identified part x as cartilledge, and from what I can remember of UHMWPE, it is the optimal replacement for destroyed cartilledge?

Extract from HSC online syllabus:

Dot Point: describe the properties that make ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWPE) a suitable alternative to cartilage surrounding a ball and socket joint in terms of its
- biocompatibility with surrounding tissue
- low friction
- durability

* Ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWPE) is biocompatible with surrounding tissue. It possesses a similar density to living tissue, and therefore tends not to cause problems in the body.
* UHMWPE has a low friction coefficient and this, along with other exhibited characteristics, such as high hardness, high tensile strength, high elasticity, add to its suitability of it for use in joints as artificial cartilage.
* UHMWPE is durable: it has no known effective solvent at mild temperatures. High temperatures and pressures must be used to manipulate the material and gain the desired product. UHMWPE also exhibits a very high creep resistance. Creep resistance is the tendency for polymers to deform when under constant stress.

I hope this made some people relieved :p

KaLibuR

Pieces of Me

HSC
That's what I though but it can't of been cartilage because the lines ended inside on the bone not to the edge of the bone. It will be interesting to see how this question is marked

Last edited:

emmyg

HSC
I loved the exam! I thought it was fantastic!
I do agree however, that it was definitely the most difficult exam since 2001.
That crap on Preservatives and Additives was ridiculous - foodborne illnesses, design first hand investigation - crap.

Good luck to everyone!

skaylac

HSC
I thought the exam was average- I must say it was alot better than inticipated but im soo happy its finally over- there was alot to know and to much time left after completetion.. most of us finished 45 minutes early...
The modular section on questoin 26 was tricky - I must have missed that section on my studies..
Did any of you do polymers ??
What was your opinion on the Baby Bottle conspiracy- haha facinating

KaLibuR

HSC
Hmm seems mixed emotions regarding the exam. What did everyone do for the bone labelled x? Perhaps I just assumed it was pointing to the cartilledge because of the next question.

And I agree with the Preservatives & Additives questions, really stupid. I buffed up on different methods of preservation, and how they preserve and memorised stomach bugs that can be caused if food isn't preserved properly, and I was unable to use most of it. Aargh! :mad: lol

soccerchic077

HSC
hey people, personally i found the exam quite difficult to some degree. The most difficult questions was probably the alveoli one. In this case, i said the more water in the lung, the less room for the alveoli to expand, thus its size is reduced and air is pushed out of it. Yet, when there is a lower amount of water in the lung, the alveoli has more room to expand (i got no idea if its right). Also, the question asking to label part x was a bit tricky. At first i thought it was cartilage but the arrow was pointing inside the bone, whereas cartilage is attached to the outside. Because of this, i labelled part x as synovial fluid. The graph was also a bit weird, i did a line graph...i hope its right. And for any of you who did the option disasters, i found that option exceptionally difficult, especially determining the distance of the earthquake and the first hand investigation. So people please tell me if you feel the same...thanks

KaLibuR

HSC
For the graph I did a column graph. The x-axis was already labeled, and i worked out that 4 columns clumped together left 1 box between clump. I did BPM along the y-axis.

For each student I did a different box decoration (one had lines, one was filled in, etc). There is no right and wrong answer, as long as you picked one that was relevant (e.g. you didn't pick a pie graph or something stupid like that) and you graphed it according to the table.

stariiskiez

HSC
the test was pretty screwed... especially lifestyle chem part... everything else was ok. i dont expect much for this test because i'm not a science person even though i studied hard for it :mad1:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)