Shipwrecks (1 Viewer)

tegs

That was pretty good as far as Shipwrecks usually go I think.
What was with all the electrolysis stuff tho?
At least there was like nothing on volta and davy etc. That gets really annoying.
What did everything else think???

d__o__a

DOA
HSC
N/A
i liked the shipwrecks, as it was based on the last dot points. with the electrolysis question i said that through electrolysis u can clean the artefact from any leftover corrosion and further prevent any corrosion when its in the display case

ghoolz

HSC
yeah i liked this option. the last question i didnt like much though but the rest was great.

oh well all over now so thats the main thing.

tegs

Mmmm, I studied that this morning. Yay!!! All about getting chlorine off artefacts from concretions.

crazylilmonkee

HSC
i thought it was pretty good
more straight forward than past years..

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Hmm.. what about that container stuff? I just put textbook answer and put aluminium because it'd oxidise rather than the iron. But im confused with the whole question..

N

ND

Yeh, it wouldn't corrode with the Al, it would corrode normally with the plastic, and would corrode alot with the copper.

crazylilmonkee

HSC
for the container one i said plastic and alluminium would be good
i wrote aluminium is passivating, so it doesnt corrode to protect the hook but just act as a barrier - same as plastic
and said copper would not do the job etc

keepin_sanity

Yeh same, i just showed what would happen in each case - compared the corrosion etc and said that the aluminium would be best

skool_angel

yeh the questions were ok this year
i studied so hard on the faraday, volta, galvani
and they were not in it

wat do u have to write get full marks for the last question?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
for the container one, i wrote heaps, but my basic answer was:
Cu-would not work, the Fe would still corrode more
Al-would be good if the fishermen didnt mind an Al oxide on their hooks, which could be easily removed
Plastic-provided the hooks were clean and dry when they went into the container, and as much air as possible was excluded, it would work in slowing down the corrosion, but wouldnt actually stop it or anything, there was no chemical anti-corrosion techniques in plastic

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
i just said al would have least corrosion, cuz a galvanic cell sets up wif it being the anode(cu is otherway around) and if no Cl- are present then iron will still corode at the rate of the plastic container after Al forms a passivating layer but if theres Cl- present as to mimick sea conditions, then the galvanic action will continue until Al is completely corroded, protecting the iron... oh and explained the other 2 container as well...

dont think i did this section too well though, only 30min to do it, due to spending 2hrs 30min in the second sections... esp. the last q... cuz of the assess part...and that only had 5 min or so to jot down a page of dot pts with mumbled thought processes :(

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
i fink the container one is lookin for sacrificial anode, so i wrote down plastic will not work, al will work to a certain degree and cu would work best??

edit: sori guys, dat's right..... i guess i was in a bit of stupidity when i mistake oxidation of fe2+ wif fe(s)....... :'( omg...... this hsc is nothing but disaster for me......

Last edited:
N

ND

Originally posted by xiao1985
i fink the container one is lookin for sacrificial anode, so i wrote down plastic will not work, al will work to a certain degree and cu would work best??
Nope actually the Fe would act as a sacrificial anode for the Cu.

eeyore

I was actually hoping for a question on galvani, volta, davy, faraday....
and something with %of carbon in steel..
but no...

ruella

Originally posted by eeyore
I was actually hoping for a question on galvani, volta, davy, faraday....
and something with %of carbon in steel..
but no...
lol - yeah i know, i fully prepared for any scientist questions! argh! ~sigh~ i guess that's the board of studies for ya...

as for the questions i didn't like - i thought that last 6 marker was a load of bullshit - i ended up linking the factors that change the rate of electrolysis, like the distance between the electrodes, the reactions that occur at the anode, cathode, etc, w/examples of cleaning and restoration...hmmm....
i also didn't like the 5(?) marker Titanic question.

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
excellent option lol
omg how straight forward ay
all regurgitation
i brought davy, lavoisier and volta and faraday into it in the last question on how idea of electrolosis changed and assisted scientists etc etc... wrote alot for this... loved every question... i more exam to go and i'm freeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Carla2003

HSC
crap.
I thought since the aluminium is passive this would mean that the steel corrodes in preference. So the layer actually forms on the hooks? dammit!!!

Carla2003

HSC
far out-------I think you are going to ace the HSC because I have seen you express your love for questions before. nice work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)