Shipwrecks (1 Viewer)

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
How did you guys go in this option?

I thought it was pretty straightforward, except the 7 marker, if you didn't study an australian wreck well, yeah it would have been gay.

fishbulb

HSC
Yeh i think i nailed this section.

I did Vernon anchors and HMB Endeavour Cannons. Drew diagrams of electrolysis to go with it.

Zephyrio

HSC
My answers: short version

a) i) The rod can be Zinc - anode - oxidised in preference to the steel; steel is reduced and hence it is protected from corrosion.
ii) Two methods: coating the steel with paints such as Rustmaster; coating the steel with zinc (galvanising).

b) i) Comparing the rate of corrosion of an iron and a steel: just weigh both nails, submerge in water (or half submerge) and then observe the results/reweigh the nails.
ii) Iron corrodes more than stainless steel, which is corrosion resistant.
iii) Steel composition may be altered with the introduction of passivating metals such as Cr to increase corrosion resistance.

c) i) Just drew a normal electrolytic cell with AgNO3 instead of water. Cathode electrode coated with silver.
ii) Cathode: Ag+ + e --> Ag(s)
Anode: 2H2O --> 4H+ + O2 + 4e
iii) Four factors that affect the deposition of silver:
- distance between electrodes
- temperature of the apparatus
- concentration of electrolyte
- voltage applied to the system

d) I used the Batavia and the Endeavour Cannons:
Preliminary wash: Hosed down in the case of Batavia; the concretions of the Endeavour were chipped away.
Desalination: Both placed in a NaOH bath; then electrolysed. Drew an electrolytic cell here.
Both impregnated with PEG.
Display: Batavia was considered more fragile so it's in a glass display, whereas the Endeavour was more stable so it's displayed in controlled conditions, low light, low humidity. (Only minor point was made here since the question wanted more on chemical reactions.)

Any disagreements? Lol

fishbulb

HSC
Zephyrio said:
My answers: short version

a) i) The rod can be Zinc - anode - oxidised in preference to the steel; steel is reduced and hence it is protected from corrosion.
ii) Two methods: coating the steel with paints such as Rustmaster; coating the steel with zinc (galvanising).

b) i) Comparing the rate of corrosion of an iron and a steel: just weigh both nails, submerge in water (or half submerge) and then observe the results/reweigh the nails.
ii) Iron corrodes more than stainless steel, which is corrosion resistant.
iii) Steel composition may be altered with the introduction of passivating metals such as Cr to increase corrosion resistance.

c) i) Just drew a normal electrolytic cell with AgNO3 instead of water. Cathode electrode coated with silver.
ii) Cathode: Ag+ + e --> Ag(s)
Anode: 2H2O --> 4H+ + O2 + 4e
iii) Four factors that affect the deposition of silver:
- distance between electrodes
- temperature of the apparatus
- concentration of electrolyte
- voltage applied to the system

d) I used the Batavia and the Endeavour Cannons:
Preliminary wash: Hosed down in the case of Batavia; the concretions of the Endeavour were chipped away.
Desalination: Both placed in a NaOH bath; then electrolysed. Drew an electrolytic cell here.
Both impregnated with PEG.
Display: Batavia was considered more fragile so it's in a glass display, whereas the Endeavour was more stable so it's displayed in controlled conditions, low light, low humidity. (Only minor point was made here since the question wanted more on chemical reactions.)

Any disagreements? Lol
I said surface alloys such as stainless steel and applied current methods for a)

I said Iron nail and mild steel nail in 2 different petri dishes with 10ml of water and then record observations throughout 7 days. Keep all the dishes in the same place.

For c)ii) Since there is going to be Ag reduced which requires 0.8v, then it must also have this reduction equation as well:
o2 + h2o + 2e- --> 2OH- (0.4v)

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
Looks like I got mostly what you guys got. Except for the steel pipe, for some strange reason I couldnt think of any ways of protecting it other than sac. anodes and electrolysis. sighs.. o well.

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
How easy was the prac part? omg, I think I did galv steel as the other nail.

vds700

HSC
I thought it was very easy, not sure about my factors affecting rate of electroysis, but apart from that it was good.

My school had been on the maritime museum excursion, which was really helpful for the 7 marker coz id actually seen the artefacts (vernon anchors and endeavour cannon) and they gave us really good notes too, so i think i nailed that 1.

HSC
i just talked about very general stuff in the 7 marker cos i did NOT know any specific wreckcs AT ALL...!!

abut i think i did well on the rest of shipwrecks :)

Artemis.

HSC
Really liked the 7 marker as I'd studied that a lot, the rest of it was pretty straightforward except for 6 marks on electrolysis stuff, mainly cos I suck at electrolysis.

HSC
we never did the maritime project. i still said endeavour cannon and vernon anchor but just made techniques for cleaning and restoration up. ah well .

HSC
umm cant remember all of em, use of heat, electrolysis, hammers to remove encrustations, desalinise in water....cant remember

sarah94

HSC
N/A
i got confused and wrote about the motor affect
the hsc is really getting me lol
:cold:

iEdd

HSC
I'm surprised "Mrs Pooviah" didn't tell YOU the answer was the motor effect, with no logic or reasoning whatsoever, just that as a blunt answer. :rolleyes:

Muchi

HSC
u guys since water is lower in series than series isnt it reduced and silveris oxidised? am i confused?

drobby

Pwnage
HSC
yer thought it was good...
7 marker could have been better.. but it was suprising i remembered most of it...i did the silver dutch coins and the cannons...
all my study was remembering every equations, so i did the one for removing calcareous deposits and also the electrolysis for the coins
lot better than expected....
finished!

HSC
i thought that shipwrecks was really, really good this year
so much easier than other years
i almost laughed when i read the 7 marker about restoration and conservation
it was the last thing i learnt the night the night before

Muchi

HSC
the only thing worrying me now is that i got like a 50ish mark at school and im predicting my hsc mark to be in the low 70s so im hoping i get a bd 4 atleast~...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)