Short On Cash For Uni?! (1 Viewer)

Foxodi

HSC
Lets get ourselves into more debt? Just work hard in holidays imo :)

HSC
or i can just get a loan?

where i live there is like zero full time work... therefore i couldnt really work in the holidays then go to uni. and to be honest i didnt even think i would be going to uni.

Marky24

HSC
o0o_chris_o0o said:
or i can just get a loan?

where i live there is like zero full time work... therefore i couldnt really work in the holidays then go to uni. and to be honest i didnt even think i would be going to uni.

ok then how are you suppose to pay this said loan off if ur not working?

Foxodi

HSC
Loans are for the devil, unless buying a house or used for investment :)

HSC
Marky24 said:
ok then how are you suppose to pay this said loan off if ur not working?
did you click on the link and read about the loan? its a deferred loan. you dont pay it back until you finish your degree or 5 years has passed [whichever occurs first].

therefore. i dont need to be working to pay it back while at uni! but i'll try to do some while im there.

loser101

HSC
o0o_chris_o0o said:
did you click on the link and read about the loan? its a deferred loan. you dont pay it back until you finish your degree or 5 years has passed [whichever occurs first].

therefore. i dont need to be working to pay it back while at uni! but i'll try to do some while im there.
lol'ing.

most loans you dont have to make repayments.

no repayments = great for the bank.

heard of compound interest?

its 14% fixed rate for the personal loan, thats not cheap money.:hammer:

rozymisty

HSC
I looked into that NAB loan and you have to get a list of people who you will pay money to and the bank do a cheque for that third party.Ie if your buying books, you tell them you want money sent to the bookshop and they send it to them....which is really stupid.

The ANZ have a simlilar thing, but like a graduate loan..thinking about it but given my credit card scenario, i couldnt get one. And yes its not good to have a big debt once you get out of uni.Sure Nab its a 'small' loan of up to $2000 i think, but when you add intereston, its not worth it.

Just work for the 4month holidays that you get between 2nd and first semester,..whcih is far too long a break when considering that they cram everything into 13wks...and then like work 2 days a wk during semester.

Plus when you graduate, the employer will take HECS out of your pay. For my first grad pay, I got $100 out of my pay for just one week so yeah you doneed to think about that.

Also, if you cant get a job where you are living chris, then how are you going to get to uni? You can do work like around uni, they always want pple.

Or if your really desparate, you could do those clinical trials. QUT had an article about it recently how lots of students, particularly med students will be guinea pigs for drug trials coz they pay you a lot.varies from like $50 up to $600 plus...but then you are playing with drugs that you dont know anything about.....

HSC
loser101 said:
most loans you dont have to make repayments.
ah most loans you do have to have to make repayments, its called the minimum repayment!

loser101 said:
heard of compound interest?
you only pay interest on what cash you use. so if you only use $5000 then youre only gonna pay interest on the $5000, not the full loan of say $15000.

loser101 said:
its 14% fixed rate for the personal loan, thats not cheap money.:hammer:
its actually at a rate of 11.035%

rozymisty said:
I looked into that NAB loan and you have to get a list of people who you will pay money to and the bank do a cheque for that third party.Ie if your buying books, you tell them you want money sent to the bookshop and they send it to them....which is really stupid.
yeah it is pretty stupid, but they can transfer [$insert amount$] into a savings account that you can use with your card. there are ways around it.

i get that its an expensive option, but sometimes there isnt an alternative. and for me it doesnt seem like there is an option... it was just a suggestion for y'all incase you needed it. i didnt say you HAD to do it.

Marky24

HSC
loser101 said:
sounds like you got yourself a loan. lol

go for it. the bank will love ya. hahahaha 11% haha

u want to pay me 11% for my money compounded monthly? hahahah
my thoughts exactly

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Doesn't seem like such a bad deal. If you need $2000 for a car, computer etc...

$2000 @ 11.035% compounded annually for 3 years = $2,738.22

$2000 now is so much more valuable to me than $3000 after graduation.

Any decent graduate position, until you take on a mortgage, family etc.. you'll have more money than you know what to do with, so why not?

loser101

HSC
if only we could live on $2k a year

and that is IF interest rates stay at 11%. i doubt it.

and its more like 14.70% p.a for unsecured personal loan, compounded monthly, effective annual rate is 15.7%. thats getting up to Credit Card rates.

http://nab.com.au/Personal_Finance/0,,78960,00.html?urid=1162429247668

if u can, ask your parents to lend you money, pay them back at say 10% annual, thats the way to go, otherwise get a job.

Last edited:
HSC
loser101 said:
if only we could live on $2k a year

and that is IF interest rates stay at 11%. i doubt it.

and its more like 14.70% p.a for unsecured personal loan, compounded monthly, effective annual rate is 15.7%. thats getting up to Credit Card rates.

http://nab.com.au/Personal_Finance/0,,78960,00.html?urid=1162429247668

if u can, ask your parents to lend you money, pay them back at say 10% annual, thats the way to go, otherwise get a job.
dude. i have the loan already. its at a fixed rate of 11.0035%.

the piece of paper telling me all the terms and conditions of my loan

is right there >>> on my wall, like 25cm from my head.

my parents cant afford to give me $15000. they sent me to europe for a

year. i dont wanna ask them for more cash. geez. i'll take my own debt

and cash problems as they come!

N1C0L3

HSC
OMG chris i am in the EXAct same situation as you!! I couldnt qualify for youth allowance because parents earn over 55k. FUCK the howard government for screwing education over and making it so difficult...
next, parents wont support me..prob cant afford it either
I want to start my uni course this year and DON'T wana defer for a year or more.
I have to find a job and work my arse off to pay rent and survive.
also have shit all money in my bank account!!

so whats this NAB loan? do i have to be with NAB to get it? that would b a lifesaver.

loser101

HSC
N1C0L3 said:
OMG chris i am in the EXAct same situation as you!! I couldnt qualify for youth allowance because parents earn over 55k. FUCK the howard government for screwing education over and making it so difficult...
I want to start my uni course this year and DON'T wana defer for a year or more.

so whats this NAB loan? do i have to be with NAB to get it? that would b a lifesaver.
u live at home, u eat at home. you can make sandwiches for uni.

the only expenses u have should be textbooks, and weekly travel money.

if your parents cant give you that then go move out, disown your parents and get centerlink payments. lets see how far you'll get with $300 after you pay for rent and food.

austudy isnt their to support your lifestyle

the government dont owe you anything, you choose to goto uni, you should pay.

donnytuco

tuco
HSC
N1C0L3 said:

How the FUCK is it the Howard Government's fault if you don't get Youth Allowance? Youth Allowance is only there to support families who aren't as well off as you. You make it sound like it's going to be a tough life if you don't receive Youth Allowance, but shit, if you have half a brain in your environment you can't go wrong.

Fuckin hell you sound like a bitch.

N1C0L3

HSC
oy retards.
im not living at home i am moving from nsw to qld to live up there in student accomodation. and i know youth allowance is to help ppl financially, but seriously, two working parents, of course they are going to earn over 55k! that is nothing...i mean it might work for some people living out in rural areas of australia, thats fine...but when a family is earning over 55k and has 6 kids to support, the money is going to that. Its just stingy the maximum income cutoff he set and it does not encourage students to go to university, esp in another state.
and dont fucking judge me arsehole. pull the cork out your arse and chill the fuck out. you ppl are so fuckin touchy and sensitive.

loser101

HSC
and i bet you got some sort of EAS bonus, but no your not complaing about that r u? ;)

and what gives you the divine right to move interstate to do a degree?

if you are really so disadvantaged, you should of applied to the uni's "I'm a retard, so you give me money" scholarships.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)