Short texts prep (yeats, Speeches and TS elliot) for HSC (1 Viewer)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
So to all people who did Mod B in the past, what was your best way to prep for Mod B, especially when it is really annoying when they specify your weakest text or when they make you write an essay based on a quote or a short extract as opposed to a theme or when they make you do a critical response, etc

Thanks

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Or should I write "critical analysis" paragraphs on each text which covers the whole Module B rubric for each poem and link them to other poems, as opposed to writing Mod B essays? Anyone?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Or should I write "critical analysis" paragraphs on each text which covers the whole Module B rubric for each poem and link them to other poems, as opposed to writing Mod B essays? Anyone?
I haven't done mod B before but based on people from my school who graduated, write a prepared essay (as for each module) and write a body paragraph for every poem/speech etc. Write bigger paragraphs for your best ones just in case they let you choose and write shorter ones for the others and just add sentences on on the day of the exam.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I haven't done mod B before but based on people from my school who graduated, write a prepared essay (as for each module) and write a body paragraph for every poem/speech etc. Write bigger paragraphs for your best ones just in case they let you choose and write shorter ones for the others and just add sentences on on the day of the exam.
tbh I'd rather not write a prepared essay, especially when it's a theme based essay since that's probably the easiest one to discuss, as opposed to an extract based question or a critical response

And I doubt they would let you choose whatever poem/speech you want to do, especially when the HSC chooses your poem/speech for you and can really screw you over if they pick your weakest

(jazz519 u english beast where r u)

SuperAltastic

HSC
I studies Yeats for my Mod B texts and did decent in HSC Advanced English, this is the advice I would offer you to do well.

1. It is essential you understand your text throughly not only in terms of the poems or speeches various meanings but why the writer choose these particular examples or ideas. As it is when you try place yourself in the writers shoes can you truly try to understand what the poet is trying to convey and hence develop a stronger response.

2. Get analysing, get a copy of the text on a A3 page of paper and make sure the text is in the centre and then, slowly with a lot of resources analyse each part of the text until you have a large annotated copy, adding to your understanding.

3. Organise your texts into themes i.e. for yeats I had love, time, ageing and etc. This I believe is done most effectively by creating a page with 8 boxes( or however many themes you have) and in each box place the poems that you can relate WELL to the theme. Then place this chart where you can see it day in and day out until the HSC.

4. Once you have analysed all your texts, I recommend putting them into their own paragraphs, these will be what you aim to perfect constantly till you are happy with what you have written.

5. Make sure you engage with the poem, as that is what markers are looking for this means you attempt to put forth your own understanding of what you believe the poems mean, this can be done in many ways but the most effective for me was challenging the critic's understanding. An example; As said by X in his publication Y [quote from critic about what your studying]. However this can also translate to [your own understanding of the poem].

6. Make sure you not only analyse the meaning behind the text but its structure and context as well and how the structure contributes to the meaning of the texts hence adding to your understand and improving your analysis.

7. When writing an essay it is essential in the reading time you decide the poems which best fit and then from the short paragraphs you created before you adapt them to the question that is there.

8. Don't just chuck critics quotes in there or any quote for that matter make sure the quote flows with the response, it should be seamlessly integrated so that when the marker reads it they don't have to stop their train of though because the quote was just chucked in and doesn't flow.

9. It is essential you know every poem or speech backward, forward, diagonal and upside down because the BOSTES (NESA) has the right examine any part of the poem as they have done in the past. In terms of memorising I only memorised my poem short paragraphs and the opening lines of my intro and conclusion the rest I adapted to the question.

10. It is also crucial you know how to write a solid introduction and conclusion, that goes for any essay.

Thats all I have through my experience, thanks for reading and good luck with your HSC.

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
i studies yeats for my mod b texts and did decent in hsc advanced english, this is the advice i would offer you to do well.

1. It is essential you understand your text throughly not only in terms of the poems or speeches various meanings but why the writer choose these particular examples or ideas. As it is when you try place yourself in the writers shoes can you truly try to understand what the poet is trying to convey and hence develop a stronger response.

2. Get analysing, get a copy of the text on a a3 page of paper and make sure the text is in the centre and then, slowly with a lot of resources analyse each part of the text until you have a large annotated copy, adding to your understanding.

3. Organise your texts into themes i.e. For yeats i had love, time, ageing and etc. This i believe is done most effectively by creating a page with 8 boxes( or however many themes you have) and in each box place the poems that you can relate well to the theme. Then place this chart where you can see it day in and day out until the hsc.

4. Once you have analysed all your texts, i recommend putting them into their own paragraphs, these will be what you aim to perfect constantly till you are happy with what you have written.

5. Make sure you engage with the poem, as that is what markers are looking for this means you attempt to put forth your own understanding of what you believe the poems mean, this can be done in many ways but the most effective for me was challenging the critic's understanding. An example; as said by x in his publication y [quote from critic about what your studying]. However this can also translate to [your own understanding of the poem].

6. Make sure you not only analyse the meaning behind the text but its structure and context as well and how the structure contributes to the meaning of the texts hence adding to your understand and improving your analysis.

7. When writing an essay it is essential in the reading time you decide the poems which best fit and then from the short paragraphs you created before you adapt them to the question that is there.

8. Don't just chuck critics quotes in there or any quote for that matter make sure the quote flows with the response, it should be seamlessly integrated so that when the marker reads it they don't have to stop their train of though because the quote was just chucked in and doesn't flow.

9. It is essential you know every poem or speech backward, forward, diagonal and upside down because the bostes (nesa) has the right examine any part of the poem as they have done in the past. In terms of memorising i only memorised my poem short paragraphs and the opening lines of my intro and conclusion the rest i adapted to the question.

10. It is also crucial you know how to write a solid introduction and conclusion, that goes for any essay.

Thats all i have through my experience, thanks for reading and good luck with your hsc.
holy shit, thanks so much

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
tbh I'd rather not write a prepared essay, especially when it's a theme based essay since that's probably the easiest one to discuss, as opposed to an extract based question or a critical response

And I doubt they would let you choose whatever poem/speech you want to do, especially when the HSC chooses your poem/speech for you and can really screw you over if they pick your weakest

(jazz519 u english beast where r u)
You can adapt your themes to any question

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
it may not work at times though depending on how many themes you've discussed in your essay
You can adapt any themes to any question, if you couldn't then people wouldn't memorise essays word for word

donkily

HSC
N/A
i heard for yeats the easiest poem to hardest is when you are old to Among school children

when making themes on paragraphs is it crucial to cover the more important things such as the criteria for textual integrity, being content, form, language and reception (in their own and a contemporary contexts)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)