Should a struggling student go down to 10 units? (1 Viewer)

Phenomenon_y

HSC
Firstly, hear our my situation:
I am currently doing 3u maths and 4u english, business and biology, a total of 11 units. I am struggling in all my subjects except for English, which is my strongest, but I’m still nowhere near top of the grade for it. We will focus on my extension subjects, as those are the only ones I can drop - I am thinking of dropping ext maths. My school’s ranking is in the top 50, and we have very competent teachers in the Eng faculty for extension 1 and extension 2. Maths on the other hand, feels like I am learning by myself, and although my dad does help me with theory, I ‘can’t find the time’ to practice it very much. I feel that if I drop extension maths, I will feel less stressed and have more time to practice adv skills, to slow down and also plan for my major work (it is one less extension unit after all).

But is being on 10u risky knowing that I’m struggling? Or would it be beneficial because I have less subjects to focus on, as the only way to ‘fix’ my situation to just focus on my subjects and improve my performance best I can? I feel so unconfident, but I’m stressed with the workload right now (even though I ‘only’ have 2 subjects besides eng and maths.. T0T). Especially since procrastination and 4u major work are pretty much the worst combination, I feel doubtful towards my capabilities in 4u english, but I definitely feel less secure doing 3u maths on 10 units….

P.s (Business is okay, biology is not so great.. but I don’t have the option to drop either - and that’s okay with me !)

nine9

HSC
I'd say talk with your teachers? What do they think about your performance in each subject? Also I don't believe you "can't find the time" to practise, unless you just hate maths and simply cannot be motivated enough to do questions, in which case, dropping it is your best bet since it's gonna be your worst subject and the unit that's not gonna count for your hsc either way.
It really depends on how you feel about each subject. Are you willing to put in more effort for 4u Eng or 3u Maths, and which subject do you do better in generally? 11 to 10 is a very risky move but if you get, well, way below average for every maths test...then you might as well drop it!
All things aside, have a talk with your parents and the school. People have done well with 10u so don't worry about being disadvantaged, as long as you try your best!

specificagent1

HSC
I'd say talk with your teachers? What do they think about your performance in each subject? Also I don't believe you "can't find the time" to practise, unless you just hate maths and simply cannot be motivated enough to do questions, in which case, dropping it is your best bet since it's gonna be your worst subject and the unit that's not gonna count for your hsc either way.
It really depends on how you feel about each subject. Are you willing to put in more effort for 4u Eng or 3u Maths, and which subject do you do better in generally? 11 to 10 is a very risky move but if you get, well, way below average for every maths test...then you might as well drop it!
All things aside, have a talk with your parents and the school. People have done well with 10u so don't worry about being disadvantaged, as long as you try your best!
I dont think 10 units is extremely risky but if you make a decision to go to 10 you have to be able to accept to risk and ensure it is an informed decision

may22

HSC
I am currently doing 3u maths and 4u english, business and biology, a total of 11 units. I am struggling in all my subjects except for English, which is my strongest, but I’m still nowhere near top of the grade for it. We will focus on my extension subjects, as those are the only ones I can drop - I am thinking of dropping ext maths. My school’s ranking is in the top 50, and we have very competent teachers in the Eng faculty for extension 1 and extension 2. Maths on the other hand, feels like I am learning by myself, and although my dad does help me with theory, I ‘can’t find the time’ to practice it very much. I feel that if I drop extension maths, I will feel less stressed and have more time to practice adv skills, to slow down and also plan for my major work (it is one less extension unit after all).

But is being on 10u risky knowing that I’m struggling? Or would it be beneficial because I have less subjects to focus on, as the only way to ‘fix’ my situation to just focus on my subjects and improve my performance best I can? I feel so unconfident, but I’m stressed with the workload right now (even though I ‘only’ have 2 subjects besides eng and maths.. T0T). Especially since procrastination and 4u major work are pretty much the worst combination, I feel doubtful towards my capabilities in 4u english, but I definitely feel less secure doing 3u maths on 10 units….

P.s (Business is okay, biology is not so great.. but I don’t have the option to drop either - and that’s okay with me !)
I don't think it would be risky. I personally dropped ext math for some of the same reasons as you; it was way to time consuming and I was better at ext english (also lost motivation/interest but that's a different story lol)
If you think dropping ext math would give you more time to focus on and improve your other subjects, then go for it. In the end, only 10 units will count anyway. So if ext math is your worst it won't count; but say you kept it -- you might not do as well as possible in your other subjects, and that's a big risk. Remember, it's better to aim to do well holistically, rather than just one or two subjects

Phenomenon_y

HSC
Hm okay! I will consult with my teachers because I haven’t done that yet, and then from there, do my best ^^

Phenomenon_y

HSC
I don't think it would be risky. I personally dropped ext math for some of the same reasons as you; it was way to time consuming and I was better at ext english (also lost motivation/interest but that's a different story lol)
If you think dropping ext math would give you more time to focus on and improve your other subjects, then go for it. In the end, only 10 units will count anyway. So if ext math is your worst it won't count; but say you kept it -- you might not do as well as possible in your other subjects, and that's a big risk. Remember, it's better to aim to do well holistically, rather than just one or two subjects
Right. If I want to put all my energy into 10 units, I’ll also need to have faith in myself

+ Haha GL for our HSC then, hope your motivation doesnt waver too much this yr : )) classof2022 we got this ~

vishnay

God
HSC

it's only risky bc of 4u english which traditionally has some very dodgy external marking + it's pretty demanding afaik

5uckerberg

HSC

Seems like someone is falling off a cliff for maths here. Throw them on the Bored of Studies forum and I will get to answer them. I love eating maths problems for a snack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)