Should I appeal my mark? (1 Viewer)

vivillon

HSC
Heyy all,

So recently I received my english advanced assignment marks for the reading to write module and I got:

Imaginative Writing: 19/20
Reflection: 9/10
Overall: 28/30
Overall Percentage 93%
Grade: A

I was wondering if you guys thought it would be a good idea to appeal the mark since I received ticks in all boxes for the criteria however no constructive feedback were given to me as to why I lost a mark in both categories.
The feedback given to me was:
Imaginative: 'Your imaginative piece is quite creative and engaging.'
Reflection: 'Reflective piece was well written, could of been just a little more evaluative.'
I wasn't sure what to say when I got the feedback as it was so vague. I really want to email my teacher :v

Do you guys think I'd sound reasonable? I just don't want to accidentally anger my teachers or seem ungrateful for the marks but I just feel as if the lost marks were unexplained tbh :(

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Heyy all,

So recently I received my english advanced assignment marks for the reading to write module and I got:

Overall Percentage 93%

I was wondering if you guys thought it would be a good idea to appeal the mark since I received ticks in all boxes for the criteria however no constructive feedback were given to me as to why I lost a mark in both categories.
Reflection: 'Reflective piece was well written, could of been just a little more evaluative.'
I wasn't sure what to say when I got the feedback as it was so vague. I really want to email my teacher :v

Do you guys think I'd sound reasonable? I just don't want to accidentally anger my teachers or seem ungrateful for the marks but I just feel as if the lost marks were unexplained tbh :(
Well you only lost 2 marks overall and both your sections are basically perfect so it's probably something silly or trivial so the teacher didn't bother writing an extensive array of feedback thinking you probably won't need it.

If you really care you should first probably ask something like "What can I do better in order to not lose those two marks" or something of that sort.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Heyy all,

Overall Percentage 93%

Hmm if you really wanna appeal I'd recommend asking for feedback/improvements and if the feedback sounds unreasonable as to why you lost the marks then you can appeal but overall you still received good marks :). I guess the reflective part sort of had feedback but the imaginative writing you could probably ask for tips.

ultra908

HSC
Be aware alot of schools don't allow you to appeal marks- in the HSC at least, its nesa policy that you can't appeal marking, only the assessment process (i.e. u didn't get enough notification). This is especially true in more subjective marking subjects.
I agree with others, maybe ask for more feedback/ ways to improve if u can :)

idkkdi

HSC
Heyy all,

Overall Percentage 93%

Can I read your assignment?

Potato Sticks

HSC
Rule 1: Do not appeal English Marks
Rule 2: Do not appeal an assignment where your marks are already good for a subjective response.

I am sure that the teacher could just point out a zillion things where you could improve, even if a worse submission scored full marks. You’re almost certainly not going to get your two points back, and it could strain your relationship with the teacher.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Rule 1: Do not appeal English Marks
Rule 2: Do not appeal an assignment where your marks are already good for a subjective response.

I am sure that the teacher could just point out a zillion things where you could improve, even if a worse submission scored full marks. You’re almost certainly not going to get your two points back, and it could strain your relationship with the teacher.
Yeah honestly english teachers will try and nitpick at anything in your writing to justify the lost marks so it's not worth a bother unless you're genuinely just looking for feedback

Accurate

clix
HSC
4th is a good place, it's not worth risking to anger the teacher just to get a higher rank otherwise you may lose that good rank in the future if the teacher starts disliking you or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)