Should I beg the head teacher for an advanced English spot? (1 Viewer)

Interdice

HSC
Hi guys. I want to maximise my atar and do some engineering degree at UNSW.

My current subjects:

MX1, PHY, CHE, English Standard(forgot abbreviation lol), IPT, SDD.

Subjects for year 12.

MX2, PHY, CHE, SDD.

If I get above 80 percent in the extension test, I will go for extension 2. I am doing decently in all my subjects, and am wondering if I should go to Advanced english. I am not very skilled with standard english, but for the extra atar, will it be worth it? My current teacher is the head teacher for all of english, if that is important. I reckon, the school will comply with my wishes, and transfer me to advanced, as there are people who will be dropping down to standard.

Should I take advanced english, or are my subjects good enough as they are? Also, can I drop down to standard english at any time?

fuzi

HSC
If you don't think you're that skilled at English standard, then I would not recommend moving up to Advanced English. It would likely prove a lot more difficult and time consuming and could ultimately leave you worse off. I would recommend sticking to standard, especially if your other subjects are going well too, I'm sure you'll do more than well enough to get into that degree!

As for dropping at any time back down to standard, I don't think that's possible/doable as you need to know ALL of the texts you study for the various modules, and Advanced and Standard study different texts, so if you do drop, have fun catching up.

But yeah, stick with standard, and best of luck!

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
honestly, I would affirm that you should try to English Advanced (considering you are in year 11) - you still have time to move down if it does not suit you. But the scaling difference itself (in my opinion) is enough to choose advanced over standard. I had friends who forgo the chance to do English Advanced, and now regret doing so closer to the HSC. So ig try to do advanced if possible, else ensure it does not pull you down (if its not your strong suite)!

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Idk why these people are saying "don't do adv". The workload for advanced and standard are nearly identical with the only differentiating factor being how poorly standard scales (also likely to have a worser performing cohort). Another thing I'll touch on is for math ext 1. 80+ is an okayish mark. But if you plan on taking ext 2 you should really be aiming for 90-95+ imo if you want to perform fairly well for ext 2.

On a side note, I don't think moving up to advanced is even legal... That's like not doing math ext 1 in year 11 and then in year 12 you ask to do it.

Interdice

HSC
I don't think I will do advanced, My subjects are fine enough and I don't need the extra marks. Thanks

Interdice

HSC
honestly, I would affirm that you should try to English Advanced (considering you are in year 11) - you still have time to move down if it does not suit you. But the scaling difference itself (in my opinion) is enough to choose advanced over standard. I had friends who forgo the chance to do English Advanced, and now regret doing so closer to the HSC. So ig try to do advanced if possible, else ensure it does not pull you down (if its not your strong suite)!
Haha cool language bro. I wish they had Tamil at my school. Would be nice to learn my mother tongue. Good luck and gettign 99 atar

Interdice

HSC
Idk why these people are saying "don't do adv". The workload for advanced and standard are nearly identical with the only differentiating factor being how poorly standard scales (also likely to have a worser performing cohort). Another thing I'll touch on is for math ext 1. 80+ is an okayish mark. But if you plan on taking ext 2 you should really be aiming for 90-95+ imo if you want to perform fairly well for ext 2.

On a side note, I don't think moving up to advanced is even legal... That's like not doing math ext 1 in year 11 and then in year 12 you ask to do it.
I don't think I will take advanced lol. Too risky. Also I'm pretty sure you can go up to advanced in year 12. IT would be stupid but i think you can. I have a friend who wants to be an engineer, and he chose Maths Standard. Now that dumbass wants to do 2U maths. I tell him he needs 3U at least, but he won't listen. He also hasn't studied even a little bit for 2U maths. Little dumbass. Anyway back to the point, the teacher said he could do 2U maths if he got a 90+ mark on the test he is doing now. I think they can move you up in levels, it is just not common or recomended.

Also my MX1 teacher said a mark of 80+ would be recommended for MX2. Later he said in the 70-80 range, to remain in MX1. I don't go to a selective school, so super high marks aren't needed to get into a high subject.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think I will take advanced lol. Too risky.
I think you should try and take it tbh but it's really up to you.

I have a friend who wants to be an engineer, and he chose Maths Standard. Now that dumbass wants to do 2U maths. I tell him he needs 3U at least, but he won't listen. He also hasn't studied even a little bit for 2U maths. Little dumbass.
For the math prereq courses for engineering, I feel like 4u helps more than 3u lol. But yeah some uni's have math requirements. If anything he could always take a bridging course.

Also my MX1 teacher said a mark of 80+ would be recommended for MX2. Later he said in the 70-80 range, to remain in MX1. I don't go to a selective school, so super high marks aren't needed to get into a high subject.
Yeah all good. Was just letting you know how well you should do in 3u as a tell tale for what you could expect to get in 4u. Though you might be the one in a few who actually performs better in 4u than 3u lol.

HSC
I am not very skilled with standard english, but for the extra atar, will it be worth it?
I know you said you already are staying in Standard, but I think a good word of advice is to really work on your English skills so that you excel and can get a better ATAR. Don’t worry too much about the extra ATAR, since you can get a good ATAR with any combination of subjects, even English Standard. Just work harder and refine your skills so that you can succeed in the HSC.

carrotsss

HSC

Can confirm, I moved up to advanced at the start of term 2 and it’s barely any extra work except I’m surrounded by really smart people which makes me learn/improve way more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)