Should I drop Chem for Modern? (1 Viewer)

saltshaker

HSC
For reference my other current subjects are Maths x1, Eng x1, Physics, Music 2, SOR I (cant drop sor)
ModernChem
ContentSeems interesting; I can self study this a bit easier than chem but I don't mind self studying eitherAlso interesting - honestly I can do both subjects fine
TeacherSolid teacherTeacher is kind of sus and answered a few questions differently from my chem tutoring (they used the same worksheet for 1 topic lol) but seems to understand most of the content well enough
ClassFun class (might inhibit work occasionally but shouldn't be too bad)Quiet, fairly intelligent people there, easy to work in
MiscI get an 8 period day if I take modern that will be annoyingOur working scientifically is weighted 60%??? I was prepared for a theory heavy course and was hit with this after joining.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
For reference my other current subjects are Maths x1, Eng x1, Physics, Music 2, SOR I (cant drop sor)
ModernChem
ContentSeems interesting; I can self study this a bit easier than chem but I don't mind self studying eitherAlso interesting - honestly I can do both subjects fine
TeacherSolid teacherTeacher is kind of sus and answered a few questions differently from my chem tutoring (they used the same worksheet for 1 topic lol) but seems to understand most of the content well enough
ClassFun class (might inhibit work occasionally but shouldn't be too bad)Quiet, fairly intelligent people there, easy to work in
MiscI get an 8 period day if I take modern that will be annoyingOur working scientifically is weighted 60%??? I was prepared for a theory heavy course and was hit with this after joining.
If I haven’t miscounted, whichever subject you drop, you will still be doing fourteen units. If this is the case, you have ample redundancy for your ATAR so the two main questions are:

1) Do you need either as a prerequisite for your first preference of Uni course (or would it stand you in substantially better stead for that course)?
2) Which of the two subject stirs your greater interest?

My son is in a similar position to you (although the question for him involves two entirely different subjects to yours) and for him the answer is ‘neither’ to the first question, so it comes down to the second question which makes the choice very simple, although he is waiting to see his marks for the next set of assessment tasks before he drops a subject.

My eldest couldn’t make up her mind, so she did an excessive number of units which probably brought her ATAR down a bit, but on reflection, she doesn’t have any regrets.

saltshaker

HSC
If I haven’t miscounted, whichever subject you drop, you will still be doing fourteen units. If this is the case, you have ample redundancy for your ATAR so the two main questions are:

1) Do you need either as a prerequisite for your first preference of Uni course (or would it stand you in substantially better stead for that course)?
2) Which of the two subject stirs your greater interest?

My son is in a similar position to you (although the question for him involves two entirely different subjects to yours) and for him the answer is ‘neither’ to the first question, so it comes down to the second question which makes the choice very simple, although he is waiting to see his marks for the next set of assessment tasks before he drops a subject.

My eldest couldn’t make up her mind, so she did an excessive number of units which probably brought her ATAR down a bit, but on reflection, she doesn’t have any regrets.
I'm actually doing 13 units (sor is 1u), so I will have to choose between the two as we can only do 14.

Neither are prereqs to my uni courses so I'm leaning towards modern history and will probably switch

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I do both Modern and Chem -- the sciences (especially exams like the HSC) are very much becoming more and more application and 'working scientifically' rather than recalling theory, so that's definitely something to consider especially with that Working Scientifically assessment weighting. You might as well switch to Modern, especially if you are fine with content-heavy subjects (my teacher has told me it is really content-heavy, especially as you progress through the course, but I love modern history and warfare so it was an easy choicee), but it's not just theory because there's also source analysis and also learning how to think like a historian and understand the process of history and whatnot.

mouse_23

HSC
I'm doing modern history at the moment, and my current stance is that I'm gonna see it out to the end of year 11 and drop it, I hate essays with a passion and I'd rather do four major works and drop MH than drop something else and only have three
that's just me though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)