Should I make notes? (1 Viewer)

Raindrop78

HSC
Should I make notes or use someone else's and instead devote time to do practice papers and questions? I've always spent all my time making notes with not enough time to practice questions and consolidating my knowledge. Has anyone else done this and has done well in an exam?

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
It's personal preference because some people prefer to write their own notes because it helps them understand it and memorise it better whereas some just get notes online.

For bio I wrote my own notes and for physics I use other people's notes so I guess both ways work.

blackbird_14

HSC
For me, I always find doing past papers/questions is the best way to reinforce knowledge, esp. In maths. But, again personal preference. What you could do, as you're in year 11 I assume, is to try out both methods and see which one you like/hate. Eg. In year 11 for me I tried typing Chem notes but it just didn't work so I went back to handwritten notes :D

bujolover

HSC
Should I make notes or use someone else's and instead devote time to do practice papers and questions? I've always spent all my time making notes with not enough time to practice questions and consolidating my knowledge. Has anyone else done this and has done well in an exam?
Man, I feel you. I usually try to make notes as I go, but at the end of the day, I'm really lazy, so I end up only having made notes for only like 3 weeks' worth of work, when we're being tested on something like 15. The most important thing to do is past papers/practice questions, so about 3 weeks before exams, I just do them, and whatever I get wrong, I use online notes (some of them are really good- at least better than mine) to brush up on those weak areas. Honestly, it can sometimes be a waste of time to make your own, unique notes for everything; as long as you have a general idea of what each concept is about, you're good, and either way, there're plenty of ready-made resources out there that you can use for FREE that you might understand better than your own notes. Having said that, there're a couple of subjects that I struggle with using this technique, so you mightn't be able to apply it to everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)