Should I repeat year 12? (1 Viewer)

ashllis92

HSC
I went to an EXTREMELY shit school this year (think ranked lower than 600) and all my teachers told me how i was going to go really well in the HSC blah blah blah. I only went well compared to other years and ended up getting 88.15 which is considerably lower than what my teachers had led me to expect :( I had my sights set on medicine at UNSW and I know this is impossible with my ATAR even for rural entry (which I'm eligible for). I also can't transfer after a year of a BSc or something similar because they calculate your entry score 50:50 ATAR:GPA.
I know I certainly didn't work anywhere near enough and now I'm considering repeating my HSC at my old school which is considerably better than the one I just graduated from (about 150ish). Other than that I could do med at a postgrad level at another uni but I do REALLY want to study at UNSW so I'm in a bit of a predicament because I don't really want to go back to school if I can help.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
I would repeat year 12 in your position. Definitely. I don't like it when teachers tell you that you are going to to go really well in the HSC blah blah blah because in a way they are kinda telling you that the work they see you putting in is enough but really it isn't. :(
I've been in a similar position. :(

ashllis92

HSC
Thanks, admittedly my teachers were also a bit shocked at how shit my results were. Well, they weren't shit but when you're expecting 99ish and you get 88 it's pretty hard...

kfnmpah

HSC
I reckon you should repeat because if you can get 88 at a school >600 then you'd pwn ass at a school in the top 200. In theory, of course.

However, post grad med at Sydney, I've heard, is a really good course. So your option are always open there

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
Don't waste a year doing your HSC again. do a course, apart from med, that you think you would like to have as a career. if you go well enough in that course, you can then transfer into medicine(HD average) (i think some uni's only look at ur GPA? i think). if you can't then you have a degree that you can work with. re-sit the HSC if you think you can really improve your ATAR

ashllis92

HSC
I reckon you should repeat because if you can get 88 at a school >600 then you'd pwn ass at a school in the top 200. In theory, of course.

However, post grad med at Sydney, I've heard, is a really good course. So your option are always open there
Thanks for the vote of confidence! Much appreciated

LordPc

HSC
so you can either do 1 more year of hsc and get in through rural entry or do 1st year of uni and try to get in some other way?

to me, if you really want to do med and nothing else, repeating would be the easier option. you have already done the course material, so its more like revision. you will almost certainly do well in terms of rankings and you can get into med through rural

just seems like you have a better chance if you repeat

if you think you might want to study something else, like civil eng or something, then maybe that post grad thing would be the way to go

philphie

Banned
HSC
repeating year 12 means one whole year! i'm quite sure you remember how bad it was the first time, so are you willing to go through all that stress again? one thing people often overlook is each new year that starts the hsc tends to be smarter than the year that just did it, this is how the BOS sees it, so exams will be harder and you will have stronger competition

Sayangliss

HSC
How'd you go in UMAT?

What I wonder is how much can you really improve your ATAR by? Not doubting your ability but can you improve in another institution and acquire enough to get you accepted into interviews? And if you don't pass interviews... would that mean you just wasted a year? I'd actually suggest to go do a course in Uni, say MedSci or something releavant if you feel that Med is your calling. If you can't transfer, finish the degree and enter med as a graduate. A triple degree doesn't hurt (MBBS counts as a double I think) or who knows, you might realise you have another calling.

I actually don't think how an institution is ranked statistically can affect the atar of a person so long as you're ranked nicely say... in top 5?

Doomah

HSC
do NOT do HSC again. whats getting 99 going to prove?

seems like you want to do it again just to get 99. and what if you do acheive 99? you did it on your second attempt, ok so you feel better now? you can now brag to it to your friends and relatives??

and what about your UMAT? what about your interview?

what if you do get 99 and bomb out on umat or interview??

oh and imagine doing HSC with year 11 students? you gonna goto yr12 formal again, have another muck up day, goto shcoolies again? ha

if you wanna do med real bad, do 1 year of med sci, get straight HD's. even with your atar of 88, thats more than enough to get into UWS. i think UWS disregards ATAR altogether after 1 year of uni anyways, so you only need 5.5 gpa. real easy if you really can get 99 uai.

oh u wanna only do med at UNSW?? oh please, you wanna do med or you wanna have a letterhead on your certificate that has UNSW instead of UWS? i'll save you the trouble and photoshop a N in there foe you

trust me repeating year 12 just to improve your ATAR is pretty dumb.

p.s there is a friggen huge difference between 88 and >99. pretty much anyone can get 88-96. fark some my friends studied for a few days and got in the 90's. i really doubt u can get 99. whats that top 200 in the state?

Last edited:

twitch92

HSC
N/A
op, while i definitely understand your predicament, please realise there is NO SHAME AT ALL in not going straight into medicine. repeating year 12 will be extremely challenging and maybe even depressing. don't you want to move on with your life? i would really suggest doing post grad med at another university (particularly USyd) where you can start with a clean slate. good luck

Cazic

HSC
Let's do the maths.

HSC + UGradMed = 1 + 5/6 years = 6/7 years.
UGrad + UGradMed (After 1 year and ok GPA) = 1 + 6/7 years = 7/8 years.
UGrad + GradMed = 3 + 5 = 8 years.

Now:
The HSC year may lead you into medicine, but will otherwise be useless.
The UGrad degree may lead you into medicine (UGrad or Grad), but will otherwise be useful.
UGrad is way more fun, interesting, and likely relevant to your future medical career. Also, no matter what you take up as an undergrad you will be learning to learn in a tertiary environment which will be helpful come med time.

Personally, I would get a start on my tertiary education and never look back.

skyline

Proud Aurion TRD owner
HSC
N/A
repeating year 12 means one whole year! i'm quite sure you remember how bad it was the first time, so are you willing to go through all that stress again? one thing people often overlook is each new year that starts the hsc tends to be smarter than the year that just did it, this is how the BOS sees it, so exams will be harder and you will have stronger competition

actually bos every year are making the exams easier for you idiots to do well in, so the calibre of students didnt really as such get any smarter every year, thats an invalid statement, it varies and depends on the individuals.

its true to say that you will have smart & not so smart students etc.. But bos seemingly is making it easier, every year more and more people are scoring higher, i heard 40% scored band 5's or something this year, i remember way back, band 5's werent an easy feat.

So having said that, you guys are spoilt rotten and bos is scaling/alligning the hell out of your marks badly, just so bos can say n.s.w is an intelligent state, when in natural fact, we are one of the dumbest nations in the entire planet!

and the whole atar thing being replaced with uai, just made your lives a little easier.

Monsterman

HSC
dont repeat year 12.. you'll be wasting a year if you do shit again.

philphie

Banned
HSC
actually bos every year are making the exams easier for you idiots to do well in, so the calibre of students didnt really as such get any smarter every year, thats an invalid statement, it varies and depends on the individuals.

its true to say that you will have smart & not so smart students etc.. But bos seemingly is making it easier, every year more and more people are scoring higher, i heard 40% scored band 5's or something this year, i remember way back, band 5's werent an easy feat.

So having said that, you guys are spoilt rotten and bos is scaling/alligning the hell out of your marks badly, just so bos can say n.s.w is an intelligent state, when in natural fact, we are one of the dumbest nations in the entire planet!

and the whole atar thing being replaced with uai, just made your lives a little easier.
LOL never before have i seen you this sensible and rational

Doomah

HSC
UTARs went up in comparison to UAI, but the cut-offs this year will just go up.

so higher UTARs across the board= higher uni cutt-offs

give with one hand take with the other. same sht different smell.

just get more dumber people getting band 6s than before coz lets face it people from tassi and nt are inbred dumb shts

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A

Or it could be that teachers are becoming more effective at teaching the same content, are continually developing and refining their curriculum and methods, due to increasing years of experience...

skyline

Proud Aurion TRD owner
HSC
N/A
Or it could be that teachers are becoming more effective at teaching the same content, are continually developing and refining their curriculum and methods, due to increasing years of experience...

thats why they continuously go on strikes?

if you ask me, teaching quality has decreased over the years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)