should i share my essays with my grade? (1 Viewer)

Hiheyhello

HSC
i’ve heard that doing shit like this after trials is strategic, because it leads ur cohort to scale better. but what if a bunch of ppl were to hypothetically memorise and regurgitate an essay that i had written? does anyone know what consequences are associated with that?

kkk579

hello
HSC
i’ve heard that doing shit like this after trials is strategic, because it leads ur cohort to scale better. but what if a bunch of ppl were to hypothetically memorise and regurgitate an essay that i had written? does anyone know what consequences are associated with that?
uhhh yeah don’t, i’m only in year 8 rn but i showed someone my science assignment( it was to do an SRP and pamphlet on a chosen topic) and they legit copied the whole pamphlet and only changed up a few words and still denied it when it was so clear. even worse he scored higher than me on the pamphlet and the idiot teacher couldn’t even tell :/, was not a very nice experience and i learnt my lesson that i will never show anyone anything XD

icycledough

HSC
It's difficult, because there are some pros and cons of doing it. People who normally share essays can be assumed to be at the top of their grade for English, and usually be able to produce A range essays (18-20). These essays mostly incorporate complex language and ideas which not everyone may be able to understand themselves. Simply regurgitating or writing an essay for the sake of it without understanding what it's about or even changing it to answer the question will bring about consequences. While you may not be caught for plagiarism in the HSC (solely due to the sheer volume of essays they have to mark; around 30,000+ I think for English Advanced), memorising an essay which doesn't actually address the question will definitely result in not being able to get the best marks you can get, and will automatically prevent you from getting those 18+ results.

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with rather sharing ideas and main themes of texts, as these can be moulded into any question which is given.

Hiheyhello

HSC
uhhh yeah don’t, i’m only in year 8 rn but i showed someone my science assignment( it was to do an SRP and pamphlet on a chosen topic) and they legit copied the whole pamphlet and only changed up a few words and still denied it when it was so clear. even worse he scored higher than me on the pamphlet and the idiot teacher couldn’t even tell :/, was not a very nice experience and i learnt my lesson that i will never show anyone anything XD
yeahhh true, but i’ve finished trials now (well almost), so it’s not longer about ranking high as an individual, but as a cohort

icycledough

HSC
yeahhh true, but i’ve finished trials now (well almost), so it’s not longer about ranking high as an individual, but as a cohort
That's a valid point, and going back to what I said earlier, I just think you shouldn't put yourself in unnecessary risk. While they may not pick up one individual copying an essay from 2 years ago or whatever, but potentially if a big portion of your cohort were to have very similar essays, there's a slim chance they may pick it up (as I think they use computers as part of the marking process). I just wouldn't want you to sacrifice your English results, and potentially your entire ATAR, because of it.

notme123

HSC
Ye just do it. If your essays are exemplars just give out chunks or paragraphs to freinds or students you trust they can use as a template, trust me it's better than whatever they're gonna do. Also, be smart about the whole memorizing essays thing, share stuff that can be flexible to a q.

dasfas

HSC
I did share my essay with my cohort, but I probably wouldn't do it again. A lot of people ended up using my essays for module A which could have been bad. But anything else - notes, quotes etc.. definitely.

Last edited:

nourished.

HSC
I'm with dasdas here. There's quite a bit of leniency in terms of students using the same quote and analysis, but less so if students literally wrote what the previous student wrote word for word. So, if you've got notes, feel free to share them. If you don't, feel free to make some one pager notes that you could pass around.

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
Wait, does external (HSC) exams get affected by cohort or internals get affected by cohort? I thought internals and you already did your trials so internals are done.
What is my confused, Year 11 mind not getting??! O.O

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Wait, does external (HSC) exams get affected by cohort or internals get affected by cohort? I thought internals and you already did your trials so internals are done.
What is my confused, Year 11 mind not getting??! O.O
Your Assessment Mark, which constitutes all internal assessment tasks/exams (50% of a student's final mark) is moderated using a student's rank relative to their cohort and determined using the HSC exam marks (Examination marks, the other 50% of a student's final mark). The highest assessment mark is adjusted to equal the highest exam mark of any student in the school group. Similarly, the lowest assessment mark is also adjusted to equal the lowest exam mark.

Your Examination Mark (also known as HSC exam mark and external mark) is determined through your own performance in the HSC exam for each subject and is unaffected by your cohort. Performing well as a cohort in the HSC exams, however, is beneficial to the cohort in terms of the students' Assessment Mark, i.e. the better the cohort's performance in the HSC exam, the better the internal marks you can receive.

O01x

HSC
I say you should definitely share it as for the reasons stated by @jimmysmith560, the better your cohort performs externally the better your internal marks. This could be even done for other subjects such as Chemistry and Physics, if you have a bunch of resources that is useful then you should share it with your class as people may use it to their advantage and as a result everyone in the cohort will do better.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Yes, sadly, my eldest had a similar experience in around Yr 8. Whilst she continued to freely help all her classmates (I’m not sure how she ever had time to study in the weeks before the HSC with the number of messages from her friends requesting help), she never shared her actual essays/assignment answers again at school. She let her guard down in first year of Uni and shared an assignment with a new friend (my daughter didn’t know anyone as she is the only student from her school doing med so I guess she was keen to make new friends) and was horrified when she saw that this person turned in a synonymized version of her assignment. She sweated for weeks about the possibility of being accused of academic misconduct especially as she was the one from the low ranked school and her new ‘friend‘ came from one of the top selective schools. She’s super kind but never again...

kkk579

hello
HSC
Yes, sadly, my eldest had a similar experience in around Yr 8. Whilst she continued to freely help all her classmates (I’m not sure how she ever had time to study in the weeks before the HSC with the number of messages from her friends requesting help), she never shared her actual essays/assignment answers again at school. She let her guard down in first year of Uni and shared an assignment with a new friend (my daughter didn’t know anyone as she is the only student from her school doing med so I guess she was keen to make new friends) and was horrified when she saw that this person turned in a synonymized version of her assignment. She sweated for weeks about the possibility of being accused of academic misconduct especially as she was the one from the low ranked school and her new ‘friend‘ came from one of the top selective schools. She’s super kind but never again...
yeah it’s lowkey sad how desperate ppl are to just copy the assignment, then when u accuse them of copying they keep denying it.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
My friend had this experience once. Apparently his other friend forgot to do his assignment and so he begged my friend to pass the assignment, and my friend told him to specifically change out some words as well as change some themes (this was an english essay) and pretty much this other friend didn't listen and submitted the same thing (pretty stupid guy lol). Long story short, my friend who actually poured a lot of effort almost got 0 however the teacher gave him some leniency and only penalised him a bit so he got 80 when in reality he could've easily gotten a 95. This was in his junior years so teachers had the choice to be lenient but still, he was so close to getting 0 for his essay. This def. would've been a straight 0 in prelims/hsc.

Don't giveaway anything because people are genuinely stupid when they're under pressure, like they'll not even bother to make it slightly different and just turn it in - you can't trust everyone to be logical. If you really want to help someone out,ask them to send their essay to you and give them pointers to how to make their essay better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)