Should I study year 11 content? (1 Viewer)

riceisyummy

HSC
Hi, just wondering, does it matter if I don't learn year 11 content for biology, business studies, PDHPE and investigating science? Would not knowing year 11 content from those subjects affect me in year 12? And will year 11 content be tested in the HSC? If so, how much? I bludged through the entire of year 11, now I'm about to start year 12 and I'm worried I won't have enough time to learn the entire year 11 course. Thanks

dennisdennis

HSC
I think it doesn't matter, if you really want to find out, check the HSC past papers and at the end of the marking guidelines, it says which modules is in the content for each question

specificagent1

HSC
year 11 content may get tested directly in the hsc but not to a large extent if any. What's important is that you need year 11 content to understand many things in year 12

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I'm not entirely sure about those subjects but Preliminary Content is normally structured around teaching the fundamentals for HSC content and naturally some of the content has no relevance to the HSC. Study your Year 12 syllabus and look for overlapping syllabus dot points, if you see that certain variants of dot points come up in your Year 12 modules which appear in the Year 11, then its most likely you would need to revise the content there.

1631708811453.png
(This screenshot is for arguments sake, not supposed to be accurate but how i would map out)

Then I would revise the content I think would come back in the modules and create study notes for them so when I do the module, I can refer back to study notes. I don't do your subjects so I'm not sure the differences in the syllabus but this is the method I used just for filtering out unnecessary Year 11 knowledge and keeping the essential skills for Year 12.

This is pretty basic but thats the first thing I would do if I bludged for a subject because you don't want to study random content that doesn't apply so you just have to consult with the syllabus. I'm sure someone else can give more advice to this but this is the method I'm using right now.

Attachments

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
For Business Studies, year 11 content is not directly tested in any year 12 assessments (including the HSC exam). For example, you won't be assessed on the classical approach to management (which is a Preliminary concept that is part of the Business management topic) in year 12. Instead, you will be assessed based on your knowledge of the HSC syllabus as well as other requirements of the HSC course, such as the effective incorporation of case study material in your Section IV responses. For example, an assessable component of the HSC course in year 12 would be the elements of the promotional mix, which is a concept within the HSC course that is part of the Marketing topic.

I like to compare the Business Studies Preliminary course to the concept of assumed knowledge that is relevant at university. It is definitely useful to remember the main concepts taught within the Preliminary course, but the focus should ultimately be on the HSC course (because that is the assessable component). The importance of the Preliminary course lies in the fact that it provides foundational knowledge of the most basic business concepts, which you must have if you wish to progress through the HSC course in an effective manner, allowing you to achieve marks. For example, it would be assumed that as you commence the HSC course, that you know what "management' means. The HSC course covers more specific concepts with respect to each of its topics, while the Preliminary course provides you with the basic knowledge of the main business concepts that will allow you to learn and effectively manipulate HSC content.

I hope this helps! 😄

riceisyummy

HSC
For Business Studies, year 11 content is not directly tested in any year 12 assessments (including the HSC exam). For example, you won't be assessed on the classical approach to management (which is a Preliminary concept that is part of the Business management topic) in year 12. Instead, you will be assessed based on your knowledge of the HSC syllabus as well as other requirements of the HSC course, such as the effective incorporation of case study material in your Section IV responses. For example, an assessable component of the HSC course in year 12 would be the elements of the promotional mix, which is a concept within the HSC course that is part of the Marketing topic.

I like to compare the Business Studies Preliminary course to the concept of assumed knowledge that is relevant at university. It is definitely useful to remember the main concepts taught within the Preliminary course, but the focus should ultimately be on the HSC course (because that is the assessable component). The importance of the Preliminary course lies in the fact that it provides foundational knowledge of the most basic business concepts, which you must have if you wish to progress through the HSC course in an effective manner, allowing you to achieve marks. For example, it would be assumed that as you commence the HSC course, that you know what "management' means. The HSC course covers more specific concepts with respect to each of its topics, while the Preliminary course provides you with the basic knowledge of the main business concepts that will allow you to learn and effectively manipulate HSC content.

I hope this helps! 😄
Wow thanks for such a detailed response!

riceisyummy

HSC
I'm not entirely sure about those subjects but Preliminary Content is normally structured around teaching the fundamentals for HSC content and naturally some of the content has no relevance to the HSC. Study your Year 12 syllabus and look for overlapping syllabus dot points, if you see that certain variants of dot points come up in your Year 12 modules which appear in the Year 11, then its most likely you would need to revise the content there.

View attachment 32141
(This screenshot is for arguments sake, not supposed to be accurate but how i would map out)

Then I would revise the content I think would come back in the modules and create study notes for them so when I do the module, I can refer back to study notes. I don't do your subjects so I'm not sure the differences in the syllabus but this is the method I used just for filtering out unnecessary Year 11 knowledge and keeping the essential skills for Year 12.

This is pretty basic but thats the first thing I would do if I bludged for a subject because you don't want to study random content that doesn't apply so you just have to consult with the syllabus. I'm sure someone else can give more advice to this but this is the method I'm using right now.
Thank you so much!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)