Should I take english extension 1??? (1 Viewer)

moonsuyoung

HSC
So my subject selections are this year and I'm stressing out if I should take ex1? English isn't my favourite subject and I'm more of a number/social science person. I want to do computer science in uni and I've decided I want to take mx1, eco, business (might change), computer enterprise (ipt), advanced english and software engineering (sdd) or either engineering studies. The reason I am considering ex1 is to fill up the unit so I do 12 instead of 13 and I am also good at english. My friend told me ex1 is a waste because there is a lot of work. Anybody got any advice? Also, how's my subjects looking?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
So my subject selections are this year and I'm stressing out if I should take ex1? English isn't my favourite subject and I'm more of a number/social science person. I want to do computer science in uni and I've decided I want to take mx1, eco, business (might change), computer enterprise (ipt), advanced english and software engineering (sdd) or either engineering studies. The reason I am considering ex1 is to fill up the unit so I do 12 instead of 13 and I am also good at english. My friend told me ex1 is a waste because there is a lot of work. Anybody got any advice? Also, how's my subjects looking?
i didn't do extension 1 english, but i am surrounded by friends who did english ext and dropped it, but also friends who still do english extension.

ultimately, they enjoyed it. the coursework and the texts they did were 10x more interesting than what they did in advanced (and i read a few of them, they look pretty fun), and they all said it helped with developing english skills for advanced (bear in mind though, you don't need ext eng to help out with advanced, i only did advanced and my marks were higher than all my friends doing extension in year 11). eng ext 1 is used as a filler unit for many people in my school and many end up dropping it (because they end up picking up other subjects like maths ext 2 or to just drop down to 10-11), so i'd say if you're interested to give it a try.

i wish i did english extension, english is my favourite subject, but this isn't biased i swear (/joke)

libestraumno3

HSC
i chose 3u eng like you, only hoping to fill in the 12 units. but let me tell you I LOVE IT SM! i thought it would be boring but its one of the classes i look forward to. its WAY better than adv... like the concepts you explore are much more intriguing. for term 1, we're doing power and morality; specifically the ambiguity of evil. we're looking at the prince by niccolo machiavelli (no spellcheck)

i suggest asking your teachers and planning your study schedule with 12 or 13 units to see which one suits you best. e.g since i do 2ext (which are run out of school hours) i get a lot more free periods, so basically i have a whole line free which gives me lots of time to catch up w 3u maths, eco, chem, modh etc.

moonsuyoung

HSC
i didn't do extension 1 english, but i am surrounded by friends who did english ext and dropped it, but also friends who still do english extension.

ultimately, they enjoyed it. the coursework and the texts they did were 10x more interesting than what they did in advanced (and i read a few of them, they look pretty fun), and they all said it helped with developing english skills for advanced (bear in mind though, you don't need ext eng to help out with advanced, i only did advanced and my marks were higher than all my friends doing extension in year 11). eng ext 1 is used as a filler unit for many people in my school and many end up dropping it (because they end up picking up other subjects like maths ext 2 or to just drop down to 10-11), so i'd say if you're interested to give it a try.

i wish i did english extension, english is my favourite subject, but this isn't biased i swear (/joke)
OOOH thanksss!!! I heard english extension was really fun but is there a lot of memorisation and writing narratives because I'm not good at that :spzz:. Would it be ideal to do both ex1 and mx1 because idk if it will affect my atar?

moonsuyoung

HSC
i chose 3u eng like you, only hoping to fill in the 12 units. but let me tell you I LOVE IT SM! i thought it would be boring but its one of the classes i look forward to. its WAY better than adv... like the concepts you explore are much more intriguing. for term 1, we're doing power and morality; specifically the ambiguity of evil. we're looking at the prince by niccolo machiavelli (no spellcheck)

i suggest asking your teachers and planning your study schedule with 12 or 13 units to see which one suits you best. e.g since i do 2ext (which are run out of school hours) i get a lot more free periods, so basically i have a whole line free which gives me lots of time to catch up w 3u maths, eco, chem, modh etc.
Thanks, I feel relieved that someone is in the same position as me! But is the work load okay for you rn for both extensions cause I need to get a 93 atar😭

libestraumno3

HSC
Thanks, I feel relieved that someone is in the same position as me! But is the work load okay for you rn for both extensions cause I need to get a 93 atar😭
yes definitely, i find the eng ext work enjoyable since it interests me. you can ask older students around ab their topics or even ur teacher if they can spill what you're going to do. its only term 1 so i think its too early to say but so far so good. i find ext maths better than adv asw!

i think it all depends on what your home/social life looks like asw? like i resigned from my job just before the term started so now i have weekends free yay! if u do a lot of extra activities i.e sport etc, it may be hard to keep up. idk if its just my school but they stress being good with time and check our school diary.

on avg they give us at most maybe 4-5 hours of home learning a week. it sounds annoying but its helping me with planning and productivity

moonsuyoung

HSC
yes definitely, i find the eng ext work enjoyable since it interests me. you can ask older students around ab their topics or even ur teacher if they can spill what you're going to do. its only term 1 so i think its too early to say but so far so good. i find ext maths better than adv asw!

i think it all depends on what your home/social life looks like asw? like i resigned from my job just before the term started so now i have weekends free yay! if u do a lot of extra activities i.e sport etc, it may be hard to keep up. idk if its just my school but they stress being good with time and check our school diary.

on avg they give us at most maybe 4-5 hours of home learning a week. it sounds annoying but its helping me with planning and productivity
THANK YOU!! I will def talk to my teachers about it because idk if I can perform well in ex1, but we'll see :D.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
OOOH thanksss!!! I heard english extension was really fun but is there a lot of memorisation and writing narratives because I'm not good at that :spzz:.
according to my friends not really, it's pretty much just as much as advanced, and there was one exam essay or something where obviously you needed quotes but it wasn't something that was overkill. there is one independent research project though, it's mandatory for all schools and it's a multimodal

Would it be ideal to do both ex1 and mx1 because idk if it will affect my atar?
i mean, it depends if you end up taking both extensions for the hsc, but i think other people are more qualified for this input, but for year 11 i'd say definitely go for it

moonsuyoung

HSC
according to my friends not really, it's pretty much just as much as advanced, and there was one exam essay or something where obviously you needed quotes but it wasn't something that was overkill. there is one independent research project though, it's mandatory for all schools and it's a multimodal

i mean, it depends if you end up taking both extensions for the hsc, but i think other people are more qualified for this input, but for year 11 i'd say definitely go for it
Thanks bro🙏🙏🙏

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC

Unrelated, but judging from the subjects that u took for hsc this yr- I have suspicions that the last thread that you post on ab how 'i dk what to do as a career/ uni degree' is false and that ur secretly trying for med (MX1,2, Chem + Bio- significant indicator of medicine aspirations)🧐📸📸📸

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Unrelated, but judging from the subjects that u took for hsc this yr- I have suspicions that the last thread that you post on ab how 'i dk what to do as a career/ uni degree' is false and that ur secretly trying for med (MX1,2, Chem + Bio- significant indicator of medicine aspirations)🧐📸📸📸
not wanting to clutter up a post about english, but i'm not trying for medicine. wish i took physics instead of bio though, but bio is still interesting enough

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)