SHOULD I TAKE LEGAL? (1 Viewer)

i physically cannot

HSC
Im in yr 10 and was thinking of taking legal next year.
Could any that has had experience with the subject please tell me how they are finding it and the pros and cons
Thank you

Nezuko----

HSC
I'm doing it right now, ranking second in my cohort for the HSC. Although it is a very time-consuming subject, I find it sort of soothing and interesting when you get into the crux of it. Btw, I heard that if you want to do law, you don't have to do legal in high school, but it sets a very basic foundation for what is taught in Uni.

Pros:
1) It allows you to be more analytical and evaluative with data and formulate arguments easier, though this comes with actually trying in the course.
2) Bruhh... I don't know if this is cool or not but I can read legislation reports and such now lol XD.
3) It can be applicable to everyday life, such as watching the news and etc.
4) Class can get interesting, as in constant discussions about legislation, news and etc (although this may just be my cohort).
5) The content is very interesting early on, you get to understand the basics of the law in Australia and then branch into your knowledge into specific areas. e.g For World Order a case study is North Korea's Nuclear Weapons Program.

Cons:
1) My cause of death: Too many essays/essay plans. this is not a joke.
2) Content can get repetitive in some aspects, e.g if your school after Core 2 human rights, follows on with Optional Core "World Order".
3) Very time-consuming, and route learning is a big chunk of whether you get the marks in some cases, as legislation, articles, reports etc all are needed to support your arguments constantly.

SupernerdS8B

HSC
NO NO NO

Legal is cucked don't take it

I'll drop in year 12 don't take legal

DO NOT TAKE LEGAL

In legal too many cases are analysed and all the people who attend it think society's elites have invented some just law that applies to every person and scenario

One story my teacher was talking about in a weird manner was about some weird tribal people who threw stones at visitors, started fights with people, stole food etc. and she talked about it as if it was their fault. It wasn't there fault they live in the jungle, they're broke, they barely have anything to eat and here she was talking about how the police should've got them. If I was broke all my shit taken from me, I would be mad and start fights with people.

Fuck legal studies, it's the worst subject ever invented.

Serge Gainsbourg

HSC
It depends on you as a student:

Legal Studies doesn't really require insane amounts of reading, but I would say there is a fair bit you have to read in comparison to other subjects. You shouldn't be worried about reading legislation and cases, most of the time you can get the same information from a media report of a case, rather than actually reading the case file itself. Also, you do not really need to read the whole legislation, you can just read the titles of the sections and pick and chose the information from there.

There is a lot of writing involved in legal studies, but as long as you know the content fairly well you should be able to piece together a Band 3 response in an exam. If you want a Band 5 - 6 response you need to be able to get VERY in-depth with each paragraph.

There is a lot of content, but if you spread out the note-taking over a period of a term it is very manageable.

The abstract ideas that you'll learn in legal studies can be a problem, but if you are good at reading between the lines and piecing together relevant information you should be okay.

Also, a trick I learnt for HSC legal studies, is to use the Themes and Challenges in the syllabus to create practice questions, because The T&Cs are what the HSC exam makers base the Legal Studies questions on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)