Should marijuana be legalised? (1 Viewer)

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Im of the opinion that marijuana is much less harmful than alcohol and if alcohol is going to be considered acceptable then weed should be too.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
It's easier to legalise something then illegalise. Do you think alcohol would be legalised if it was just produced today?

Can't be bothered retyping so a quote from me on another forum Ive recently discussed something similar to it:
Xayma said:
The strength of marijuana has increased dramatically recently, you can not think that your parents generation smoked it and turned out fine. The strength has increassed about 66% in 12 years with over one third of marijuana users addicted, which I'm thinking you don't want to be, (source: http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn4954)

Now marijuana has a number of side effects which really come into part if you plan on doing it regularly,

You are more likely to develop psychotic symptons later in life, particularly if your family has a predisposition, in the study 21% of marijuana users experienced them compared to 15% of non users, with predisposition this is 51% and 26% (source: http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6745)

It can cause infertility.

No matter what you said about not wanting to be told its a gateway drug, it is, no other environmental or genetic factors have been found that suggest that it is only in certain people (source: http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn3291)

And smoking it is more harmful then cigarettes (source: http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn3039).

It is your choice as to what is more important, but at least undersand what you are doing to yourself first.

Ecstasy is one of the worse to use, not because of the affects of the drug, but due to the constituents of the pills, it can often contain a cocktail of drugs inside it.

Taking ecstasy while still under the affects of marijuana can double the short term memory loss.
Not all is relevant, but the sources are still worth a look at.

Lorie

HSC
Grobus said:
Im of the opinion that marijuana is much less harmful than alcohol and if alcohol is going to be considered acceptable then weed should be too.

marijuana in moderation is more harmful than alcohol in moderation.

HSC
And yeah it should be legalised. I mean it's fucking easy to get now, but it could be so much safer (yes I know, it's a drug, it's note exactly safe..) if it was regulated.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well thru banning heroine and taking out heroine supplies general crime has gone down, suicides have gone down, and people dying of od's have gone down dramatically..

edit: as for alcohol... i'd ban that too if i could sorry, i enjoy a drink but i think it's one of the worst points of our society in many ways..

firehose

HSC
This topic reminds me of the words from that Lazyboy song :rolleyes:

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Asquithian said:
Actually you will find that whenever there is a drug bust and their is shortage of heroine on the market OD's go up, crimes go up, used needles discarded go up...etc
Agreed.

Ive always supported legalisation of a few illegal drugs, hallucinogens and marijuana being two of those. Rest should be regulated.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
That's not what i read in time magazine last night while i was in the hospital asquithian, it was talking about the sydney heroine shortage...
It also pointed out however that the problem is that once supplies get low dealers mix other things in with the heroine..

D

ddm

ddm

"Why is marijuana not legal? Why is marijuana not legal?
It’s a natural plant that grows in the dirt.
Do you know what’s not natural?
80 year old dudes with hard-ons. That’s not natural.
But we got pills for that.
We’re dedicating all our medical
resources to keeping the old guys erect,
but we’re putting people in jail for
something that grows in the dirt?"

Underwear Goes Inside The Pants by Lazy Boy

:p

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
My uncle co-runs a marijuana plantation, and we both had a discussion about this...we decided it should be made legal...this could minimise the weed content, and would stop things like lacing. Would be better in the long run, but the immediate effect would be a bit difficult to manage.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
for most people, if you really want to smoke it - the law isn't going to stop you.
and if you didn't want to smoke it, even when it's legalised you probably still won't do it.
the only thing is, young people in future who are brought up in an environment where it's legal will be more willing to try it. a lot more people smoke cigarettes than marijuana - but once marijuana's made legal it'll just be like ciggies.
also, smokers would be a lot more public about it - you'd probably see people sitting on the train smoking pot... but then again, it happens whether you see it or not. legalising it might just bring it to surface...

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
How are marajuana users harming society? Most of them are just old hippies trying to have a happy high time... Why punish that, why oppose that? Marajuana is a drug which should definitely be legal just because its harmless and organic. I also think Heroin, ecstacy, cocaine and goey might as well be legal because their illegality isn't stopping anyone from buying them on the street and also their illegality increases crime. Heroin is so expensive because its illegal and hard to get and as a result addicts have to commit petty crims to support their habit- the crime rate goes up. Rich heroin addicts (like celebrities and rock stars) get away with using the stuff and aren't seen as harmful to society because they just do it comfortably in the privacy of their own homes and can afford the stuff. It's the poor addicts who suffer because of its illegality.

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
weed should be legal for peeps over 18. My theory is that the only reason its illegal is because the government cant make money off it. Its a herb if you will, you can grow it!! whereas alcohol/ciggarettes etc cost money n the government benefits.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
You tell this to the families of people who have been ruined because their loved one has been killed from heroine.

My older brother was a heroine addict for 4 years, it almost killed him, brought alot of pain to our family... seriously... you must be stupid to want that to be available to more people.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
there are some addicts that are stuck in a hole that they basically will never get out of and perhaps they should be given it, however the are alternatives that do work for some people... but at the same time alot of addicts can be slowly taken of it.

The idea that heroine etc should be made legalised just pisses me off tho, pot... that's not too bad, but heroine? goey? are u guys nuts?

While i disagree with the idea of a death penalty for that, i must say that the life of an addict isn't much of a life at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)