SINGLE PARENT families or DE FACTO? (1 Viewer)

yeah_boy

HSC
Hi There,
I'm needing some guidance of an assignment and I was wondering what the main issues for single parent families and de factos are.

For single I thought welfare payments e.g. child maintenance and support, is there much else???

For de facto, i thought main issues surrounded the fact that de factos don't get divorced in the family court etc thus most costs and harder for them but apparently that has been reformed? Would the fact that when a married man dies intestate the wife is first priority for inheritance, does this apply for de factos? Would this be an issue?

Also any relevant cases/legislation?

Just need a little general guidance, just a bit hazy on the topic/not too sure.

bouncing

HSC
Hi There,
I'm needing some guidance of an assignment and I was wondering what the main issues for single parent families and de factos are.

For single I thought welfare payments e.g. child maintenance and support, is there much else???

For de facto, i thought main issues surrounded the fact that de factos don't get divorced in the family court etc thus most costs and harder for them but apparently that has been reformed? Would the fact that when a married man dies intestate the wife is first priority for inheritance, does this apply for de factos? Would this be an issue?

Hey,

I did family last term so yeah some stuff is still clear in my mind :)

Okay for single-parent families you're definitely on the right track because there really isn't much else on them (if you're given the choice on which family arrangements to do - im not sure if you are - but if so you should definitely go with same sex/defacto cos they have more issues to talk about) but anyway in regards to this issue you can use a whole range of media articles (with stats) to support the single-parent issue thing. Talk about how there are issues with enforcement since many of the non-residential parents aren't paying up - i think its around 60% or something but someone can correct me on that. You could sort of touch on children and how there is dispute over access/residence etc

With de-facto couples you can really say how they've come a long way - the Family Law Amednment (De-facto Financial Matters and Other Measures) Act 2008 (Cth) provided de-facto's with greater access to the law and increased resource efficiency because they were now subjected to laws made by the Cwlth (as opposed to the previously different state different law thing) - it helped simplify the process after breakdown (especially if children are involved)

Hope this helped you out a bit :) but if you need more information probably just head down to the resources section because they have heaps!

All the best :)

yeah_boy

HSC
Hey,

I did family last term so yeah some stuff is still clear in my mind :)

Okay for single-parent families you're definitely on the right track because there really isn't much else on them (if you're given the choice on which family arrangements to do - im not sure if you are - but if so you should definitely go with same sex/defacto cos they have more issues to talk about) but anyway in regards to this issue you can use a whole range of media articles (with stats) to support the single-parent issue thing. Talk about how there are issues with enforcement since many of the non-residential parents aren't paying up - i think its around 60% or something but someone can correct me on that. You could sort of touch on children and how there is dispute over access/residence etc

With de-facto couples you can really say how they've come a long way - the Family Law Amednment (De-facto Financial Matters and Other Measures) Act 2008 (Cth) provided de-facto's with greater access to the law and increased resource efficiency because they were now subjected to laws made by the Cwlth (as opposed to the previously different state different law thing) - it helped simplify the process after breakdown (especially if children are involved)

Hope this helped you out a bit :) but if you need more information probably just head down to the resources section because they have heaps!

All the best :)
Oh wow, thank you. Is the "intestate" issue one that arises for de facto couples nowdays? Would I get marked down for describing the process of how much it has changed for de facto's in regards to the family court issue?? We have to create ideas for reforms :/

lilee-rose

HSC
Hi There,

im pretty sure the law has been reformed to make sure de facto couples recieved the same entitlements as married couples. one thing i would take note of if i were you is what defines defectos and how they would be able to go about recieving thier entitlements. for example think about the two year together thingo and the must be living in NSW togther to be in the jurisdiction and stuff like that.. i cnt remeber but there in my notes somewhere lol have a look at ur text book should tell you the critria for defactos. also to elaberate on your answer (not sure if you wanna include this) but refer to same sex de factos and thier continuity and change :)

this is all i could think of on the top of my head but yeh

kg7

HSC
Hey, Im currently doing my IRP on single parents and disadvanteges etc. and im struggling for information. So its not a great topic.

Mind you if your only doing an assignment you would get a fair bit of info, but mine is my IRP im im pushing to get 30pages, where everyone else has like 50.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)