Slight RANT About "WHAT UNI CAN I GET INTO?" (1 Viewer)

dolbinau

HSC
I have to say, that it is becoming irritating when SO many people say, I got X, what can I get into?

Firstly, don't you think if you were really enthusiastic you'd already have researched all the Unis and their cut offs?

Secondly, would you really trust one or two people to tell you something that will affect the next 5-6 years of your life? Someone may forget a Uni that you could be eligible for, and since you haven't actually looked for yourself, that could have been an offer you missed out on.

And a somewhat cliché and cringeworthy response, but at UNI you are expected to find heaps of crap out for yourselves - they, at least in many of the units I've been in - (sometimes even irritatingly) - don't spoon-feed you anything.

Where to look:

* Other posts

* Medstudentsonline website/forum

* Uni websites

* E-mailing/contacting the Unis.

The other thing, is when you find out the information for yourself. You (at least I) am confident with the information I have/not wondering if something is 'hearsay' etc.. because I have seen it being 'verified' in multiple sources, or by the Unis etc.. themselves.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
It happens every year, it's the same on MSO, etc despite the resources links, etc. It really pisses me off, esp since I've answered a million questions on both MSO on BOS via PM and have not recieved a single rep point.

The responses I tend to give are pretty general and I always tell peeps to go look it up, etc in the nicest possible way. But seriously kids grow up, your almost adults and want to study medicine, dent, etc and you can't even be bothered to search for the answers.

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Super Tully just lvl'd you up.

But really, if you don't have the chops to sit on the net for a few hours, look at the uni websites, ring the unis, then you pretty much don't deserve to go to uni, nor do I think you'll last long.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Super Tully just lvl'd you up.

But really, if you don't have the chops to sit on the net for a few hours, look at the uni websites, ring the unis, then you pretty much don't deserve to go to uni, nor do I think you'll last long.
Cheers!

liindaxoxx

HSC
I have to say, that it is becoming irritating when SO many people say, I got X, what can I get into?

Firstly, don't you think if you were really enthusiastic you'd already have researched all the Unis and their cut offs?

Secondly, would you really trust one or two people to tell you something that will affect the next 5-6 years of your life? Someone may forget a Uni that you could be eligible for, and since you haven't actually looked for yourself, that could have been an offer you missed out on.

And a somewhat cliché and cringeworthy response, but at UNI you are expected to find heaps of crap out for yourselves - they, at least in many of the units I've been in - (sometimes even irritatingly) - don't spoon-feed you anything.

Where to look:

* Other posts

* Medstudentsonline website/forum

* Uni websites

* E-mailing/contacting the Unis.

The other thing, is when you find out the information for yourself. You (at least I) am confident with the information I have/not wondering if something is 'hearsay' etc.. because I have seen it being 'verified' in multiple sources, or by the Unis etc.. themselves.
They are just asking for a little advice,
As medicine-hopefuls, helping people should be one of your characteristics/incentives.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
As medicine-hopefuls, helping people should be one of your characteristics/incentives.
No it's not asking for help, it's called being too useless and too lazy to do some research themselves.

Reposting the same questions over and over again instead of
a. Looking at the old threads where those questions have been answered
b. Being too useless to see that 99% of these questions can be answered on the uni website

The issue isn't with legitimate questions that probably can't be answered by websites alone, but things like 'LOL OMG IF I GET AN ATAR OF 99.95 WHICH UNI IS DA BEST FOR MEDICINE?"

Revacious

o-o
HSC
N/A
i can understand where youre coming from, answering mundane elementary questions about things which probably should only take a few seconds to google up, but i should point out that not everything is answered satisfactorily on either site.

For example, on mso, i wanted to know whether the 1/1/0.5 scaling applied to all, or as rumour had it, only non gws people. I got a vague reply, with good intention, but not all that helpful. I came to the conclusion that nobody knew, and i wouldnt get an answer =\

Also the wiki on mso isnt terribly updated for the 09 cohort, if you take a gander around.

dolbinau

HSC
Actually, I'd claim in the long-term this will help them more.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
i emphathise with wooz. kinda irritating. one of the things your going to find you need to do in medicine is a lot of research (e.g. journals, books, websites, lectures etc) and distinguishing the reliable sources from the not so reliable ones. so its probably good go practice those skills now. (btw, just lvled u up wooz, haha)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
yeah, i dont know if half of them are serious, or just posting that crap to piss everyone off though.

and dont worry, those guys would give u 0-1 rep point max anyway....

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
yeah, i dont know if half of them are serious, or just posting that crap to piss everyone off though.

and dont worry, those guys would give u 0-1 rep point max anyway....
Meh, i really don't care about it. I've sorta given up answering alot of questions, esp for those who are impatient and have had made the same posts on here and MSO. I wish I could answer most of them, like I used to for the last two years but it's getting more and more frustrating. I'm going to make an FAQ for next year during my hols. But yeah can't really do much atm, or answer alot of questions in the detail that I used to reply with. I will say this though, how the fu*k are you n00bs (a minority of you guys) going to study and look things up in medicine when you can't bother to search this forum/mso or google it. I'm serious i've seen med students who have no f'ing social skills and who can't even borrow a library book.

Most of these n00bs, really cbf'd looking things up which really pisses me off. Alot of them give up on med once they fail to get in once or twice, anyway.

Last edited:

Charity F

póg mo thóin
HSC
N/A
bloody oath. if i had a dollar for every hour i spent researching last year... i don't see why other people can't do the same.

i can understand where youre coming from, answering mundane elementary questions about things which probably should only take a few seconds to google up, but i should point out that not everything is answered satisfactorily on either site.

For example, on mso, i wanted to know whether the 1/1/0.5 scaling applied to all, or as rumour had it, only non gws people. I got a vague reply, with good intention, but not all that helpful. I came to the conclusion that nobody knew, and i wouldnt get an answer =\

Also the wiki on mso isnt terribly updated for the 09 cohort, if you take a gander around.
i'm pretty sure most of us are ok with specific questions that illustrate that you've taken some time to find out the answer for yourself. it's just the blatant generic/repetitive stuff that gets tiring.

and as for your question, i'm sorry but i'm not sure. i would have assumed that it was the same for both gws and non-gws applicants.

Wooz said:
I'm going to make an FAQ for next year during my hols.
definitely up for contributing to this, this place really needs one (Y)

ps. always been pretty impressed with the way you've kept up with this forum :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)