SMH Article on Paper 2 (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
To trust or not to trust: that was the question
By Justin Norrie Education Reporter
October 21, 2005

Media critics … Daniella Cavasinni and Montana Linkio.
Photo: Sahlan Hayes

The media are not to be trusted, HSC student Montana Linkio tells the Herald. That much she has learnt from her final year of English studies.

"No offence, seriously - but I'm quite cynical about the media now," she said. "Whenever I see that woman on Today Tonight all I can think of is Brooke Vandenberg from Frontline."

Montana and her classmate, Daniella Cavasinni, from Tara Anglican School for Girls at North Parramatta, studied six episodes of the D-Generation's current affairs spoof for yesterday's advanced English exam.

They were asked to write an essay for the "Telling the Truth" elective explaining how "representation" in the show was affected by "deliberate selection and emphasis".

"The media lies. It's everywhere in the media: selection and emphasis," Daniella adds, just to make the point nice and clear.

It is especially evident, she says, among critics of the English syllabus, who say it has been hijacked by radicals intent on brainwashing youth with unfashionable critical theory.

"People who say the syllabus is radical, they're the ones making radical claims," Montana said.

By comparing Shakespeare's tragedy Hamlet with Tom Stoppard's 1967 interpretation of it, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, students could see how fundamental values had endured over centuries, the pair said.

"It was a really interesting way of studying. It became quite philosophical to see how the life and death issue in Hamlet became the basis for the nihilism and existentialism in Stoppard's play," Montana said.

"It was so much better than doing Shakespeare-on-a-pedestal in that boring old-fashioned approach."

Tara students Lilly Jones-Weir, Kirrilly Whittington and Mia van Niekerk said the standard English paper was too time-consuming and vague. "You had to know so many texts and you had to do three essays in 40 minutes each. It was horrendous," Lilly said. "The last question we didn't know whether to do an essay or a speech - no one knew."

English teachers agreed that both exams were challenging. The head of English at Cecil Hills High School, Stephen Plummer, said the advanced and standard papers were both "quite fair, but much less conceptual and much more challenging than Monday's papers".

TODAY'S EXAMS

Legal Studies

Studies of Religion
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...as-the-question/2005/10/20/1129775902682.html

x_meow_x

HSC
haha I hate that woman from Today Tonight so much

my friend and I always laugh that she is like Mike when it cuts back to her after a story and she gives us a line like "mmm...tragic isn't it"

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Yeah. The syllabus isn't too radical as "It is the responsibility of intellectuals to speak the truth and expose lies (Chomsky quote from frontline essay)" ;)

darkroomgirl

HSC
Argh, I hate Today Tonight and A Current Affair. Even my little brother, who's 11, calls it a "whingeing show" (apologies if I misspelt
'whingeing'). They're perfect to pick on for 'Telling The Truth'.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Schroedinger said:
I hope the girl that said all those things is brutally murdered.

Fuck you you heartless Liberal I know you will burn in hell.

S

SGB_J

The media always blow things out of porportion, like john brogden and that grammar rugby fight. its stupid.

amy rose

agreed

or when she collects her papers together at the end as though shes been doing all this research!

Theodopolis

HSC
SGB_J said:
The media always blow things out of porportion, like john brogden and that grammar rugby fight. its stupid.

Well obviously not, because I have no idea of any 'Sydney Grammar Rugby Fight 'you refer to.
I can only suppose that to a 'SGB', a post in the school newsletter is enough to constitute a 'mass media wave'

(Oh and by the way, congratulations on buying a million-dollar pipe organ that isn't even as big or as fine as ours, which also cost 1/10th the price of yours.)

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
NEEDED TO BE TAUGHT THESE THINGS FROM SCHOOL AND NOT FROM THEIR OWN FUCKING COMMON SENSE THEN THEY HAVE NO RIGHT TO BE SO FUCKING SELFRIGHETOUS ABOUT IT.
This is what is fucked about the conservative attitude. You guys prefer a society where people are left in the dark, where people are manipulated and exploited. The fact is, the intelligentsia makes up only a very small percentage of society. The masses should be given as much opportunity to join that intelligentsia. Why does the right want the population to be apathetic? Education is impartial, it gives the educated the choice to join either side. It is not some agent of the left.

S

SGB_J

Schroedinger said:
That's because it's their job you fucking retard. People that can't FIGURE THIS SHIT OUT FOR THEMSELVES don't need to be 're-educated' they need to be streamed.
So you think that every1 r jus a bunch of retars and ur just the greatest and most profiound person ever

S

SGB_J

Ultraviolent said:
HAY GUYS IM A RETAR LOL
I cant believe u have nothin better to say than just to pick on a spelling mistake. Thats just sad.

Theodopolis

HSC
SGB_J said:
So you think that every1 r jus a bunch of retars and ur just the greatest and most profiound person ever

My God, I'm really enjoying this pattern of intense character assessment based on half a dozen posts. They're proving a real entertainment and a comic support during this exam period.

Please don't stop

Theodopolis

HSC
Well, he'll be hard-pressed to find one in a library, until he realises 'Dictionary' isn't spelt with an 'x'

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
rofl love the australian editorial. So true. Damn i hate post modernism.

SGB05

HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
If he can read the signs to find it.
You're calls suck. Thats just so lame. Where did you pick that up? Public education?

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Post modernism is just part of history, like modernism, romanticism etc. You can't escape from it. It governs reality, the fact that we're using this BOS forum thing, and the fact that people criticise post modernism through post modernist mediums. It will pass, eventually we will move away from it.

S

SGB_J

Schroedinger said:
Thanks man. I didn't know venereal diseases could type. I appreciate you opening my eyes to it.

I actually stole the call of bash, fgt.
Nice going. Cant even make up good calls of ur own. Truth hurts. Public schools do suck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)