Society and Culture thoughts? (1 Viewer)

dimsims

HSC
HyPnOtiSeD said:
im ranked first in society at my school n i got 90% for the trial ... and i found this exam somewhat challenging, i was quite suprised with some of the questions AND when i asked my teacher about them after the exam his reply was "oh jeez it must have been a challenge for you all, you wouldnt have been prepared for q's like that" WELL THATS JUST HELPFUL AINT IT JUST!! i still wrote a lot n answered as best as i could so hopefully i did alrite :S

My class went to the study day in sydney and they talked about future predictions heaps so she was convinced that there was going to be one. LUCKILY!! although i have a class of six and 4 kids out of the class skipped class for about two months because our teacher didn't care SUCKERS!!! they all left after about an hour (as well as another girl who did turn up to class) and i was in there alone until the end. I think that is pretty bad in a two hour exam

white_spazzy

but why?
HSC
well i think i went okay, hopefully i get the mark of at least 80 that i want. i knew the future forecast because we had done it so much i class.

i wrote about 7 pages for Equality and Difference-A, and about 5 for Popular culture-B. i think that is plenty, its quality not quantity :D

there are only 6 of us in my class and right at the end there were only 2 of us one of which was me. one left with like 2 mins to go. im not too sure about the others. i dont know how anyone could leave early, i wrote up until the last minute, and was pushing it to finish.

Nadia-Jane

HSC
I thought the paper was pretty shit. Very different compared to past papers and the trials and what not especially the first section. I don't think i did too bad however it kinda annoyed me how the short answer sections as well we the pop culture question were so based on social change.. i mean gee that was just a small section of the entire coarse, its so annoying when you get questions asked on nothing you have busted your arse studying for....

luckily for me i studied NIL so it didnt really matter either way. Still, lol.

I was kinda annoyed with the 12 mark question, with the 3 and the 9 markers. I thought it was not really society and culturish for the test... yeh yeh we went over it in class but i was definately expecting to be asked a question which related to social change theories as opposed to a future technique..

haha i didn't even end up doing anything on my case study, my reply was more like a gepgraphy response, i wrote about 'studying the past trends' and then for the 9 marker wrote about studying the past trends of the population in Australia and how this will change or continue in the future.. i dont even know why i just didn't really know how to apply it to my vietnam case study. but that also could be due to the fact i didnt really have a case study went in totally unprepared and didnt give a rats arse.

still, im pretty dang confident i passed. thank FUCK that shit is over

iluvnathen

HSC
I couldnt believe that the whole 12-marker was on future directions! Howmuch did u guys write for it? I wrote about 4 I think.

I did Pop culture A (I do Rugby LEague...soooo good) and Belief systems A (Buddhism...meh).

I thought the short answer were pretty good but my mind went blank for a social change for three. I eventually decided to do some legislation stuff and how it benefit women and not men (legal studies came in handy). Overall though I was pretty disappointed. Ive found with all my exams that no matter what I study and how much shitty questions always come up that I cant prepare for or my teachers did teach enuf on.

angelar

i do Disney for popular culture and answered b and Taoism for belief systems and i did b again. It was pretty funny, in reading time, my class of bout 17 or so flipped the first page and eeveryone was just like laughing cause it was quite different to all the past years in its obscurity think...kinda...and the random social change question put me off a bit at first, cause we usually do social change in the country of study (which for us was south africa) s i just said changes in legislation as the form of social change and then gave example of africa with end of apartheid.....
oi!
overall, feeling pretty good in hindsight....man everyone has such small SAC classess

Brookie7

HSC
yeah theres only three in my class. heaps of people dropped in year 11 cause of the pip
i really like society, one of my favourites

freaked

HSC
The Belief system question didn't really apply to Buddhism, I found that one a bit difficult so I spoke about another belief system, don't think I did very well.

The future question, is the only technique extrapolation? I used looking at the past, will I just get marked as wrong?

For the social change Q, I thought they meant theory of social change... so once again oops.

Popular culture was ok. I answered b) but if I had time I was going to go back and answer a) instead. I had 10 minutes left and figured I could do it but ended up leaving and just handing in the booklets as they were.

Society & Culture is one of my favourite subjects, and I was first in the class and everything, but that exam threw me.

Abbeygale

HSC
Techniques for studying the future are things like trend extrapolation, scenarios, the Delphi technique, etc. There's also a technique that I can't remember the name of where you compare the development of another society another to predict future trends. I expect it would be probable to get marks for correctly describing a method of studying the future even if you didn't apply the right name to it.

lollee

sweet as
HSC
ok i loved the society exam it was everything my teacher was sure was going to be in it and really pushed on us i used future wheels as my technique in 4 pop culture and social change was good although i have never seen a pop culture question like that before i did rock and roll so it was heaps goodand the beliefs question definitley didnt really fit with buddhism but i wrote my essay on that how gender and power were not issues in buddhism everyone in my class i think there is 17 of us stayed except one ................but then that was probably because our teacher threatened us with violence if we left

cherry_pie

HSC
i thought the exam was pretty good. but definitely was unexpecting that continuity and change question. i needed to depend on my economics and modern history stuff to write it up >_<

alia

Pip

Hey does anyone know whether we get a mark for the PIP and when we get it?

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
i dont think so....i know in d+t we just get one overall mark, so i assume that it is a combination for all subjects like this, however, im told that there is a way u can work out what u got for each...

alia

Pip

dawso said:
i dont think so....i know in d+t we just get one overall mark, so i assume that it is a combination for all subjects like this, however, im told that there is a way u can work out what u got for each...
Well that REALLY pisses me off, i put so much effort into that and we dont even get a mark for it! let me know if u find out how to get it. Thanks

belissimo

HSC
Pip

My teacher told my class that we can find out next May. She said something about the school being sent a breakdown, and they can work it out. Something like that. It sucks that we have to wait so long though.

I thought the exam was ok. Our teacher stressed the importance of techniques and that, so that was a good question for me. I didnt like the essay questions for Popular culture and belief Systems. I dont know where my paper is, so I dont remember whether I did A or B, but for pop culture I did the question on business, advertising and marketing, and for belief systems, I did the one about rituals. For the core, I was a bit irritated that they chose to ask us about content analysis. I really dont like that methodology, so Im not sure if I did well on that question, but what can you do???

mishka

HSC
N/A
ashsha said:
Heyyya PpL, lol wels since ya kinda already done ur pips n all i was wondering if ya cud offer any advice on how u guys actualli chose ur pip topics... lol yerr im heading into the whole hsc course now..ima ameteurlols
Spanxxx
hey ashsha you can get help for Society and Culture in the dedicated forum (use this link: http://community.boredofstudies.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26 )

We have a separate section for the PIPs too, so you can post your concerns there. I moved the thread you made about your PIP to that forum. :) Good to see another keen 06er!! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)