Society & Culture...How is it (based on personal experience)? (1 Viewer)

hsienerddd345

HSC
My school hasn't EVER offered society & culture as a subject in all its years being opened (I seriously had no idea this subject existed until one of my teachers mentioned it to my class). But recently they decided to start up the subject next year (when I'm in year 11) and I'm kinda interested in the subject/considering it. I don't know anyone personally who has done this subject so I decided to just go on this forum xD. I just have a few questions to former/current ATAR students about this subject.

Q1: How are the topics/concepts?

Q2: What did you like/dislike about the subject?

Q3: How's the scaling? (I don't really mind but it's something I'd like to keep in mind)

Q4: Should I do this subject even though HSIE teachers at my school MIGHT be new to teaching this subject?

Sorry just another worried year 10 student don't mind me ;)

quickoats

HSC
Q1: How are the topics/concepts?
Concepts are really easy to grasp - if you live in a society, you should be able to understand them. The topics really depend on the depth study - the depth study is like a 'layer' on top of the topics - you explore the syllabus through the scope of a certain focus. Your teacher might pick your depth study (my one did sci-fi tv for popular culture, which did not really appeal to our class), but given that it's a new subject, your teacher might get your class to vote on a topic which may make it more enjoyable.
Q2: What did you like/dislike about the subject?
The content was fun to go through, and the PIP was great for a hot minute, but the PIP got really draining later on in the year. Sometimes I also felt that the subject got quite wishy-washy and kinda "bullshitty".
Q3: How's the scaling? (I don't really mind but it's something I'd like to keep in mind)
The scaling is not great, but I'll put it this way. For me, the 94 I got in S+C and the 89 that I got in economics made the same contribution towards my ATAR. Although a lower mark in economics gave the same contribution, I found that I put a lot less effort into S+C.
Q4: Should I do this subject even though HSIE teachers at my school MIGHT be new to teaching this subject?
It was relatively new to my school as well - the first cohort was in 2015. Most HSIE teachers aren't directly trained in society and culture but it's a pretty simple syllabus without anything super technical so it's an easy class for a teacher to take.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info on S+C :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)