• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Some correction needed! (1 Viewer)

teddybear12

HSC
ok, i know that i shouldn't ask so many questinos at a time but i just wanna check that i've answered some questions rite. so here's some questinos and brief asnwers. tell me if i did it wrong =/

Q1. Davy's work on acid was important, wat correction did he make to lavoisier's ideas? when?
A1. Davy identified hydrogen as the crucial element for acidity and used hydrochloric acid as example to lavoisier's definition. (not sure abt when..was it 1778?)

Q2. why can you call an acid a proton donator?
A2. Acid release a hydrogen ion into aqueous solution.

Q3. What is a hydronium ion?
A3. A water molecule with an added hydrogen ion (H3O)

Q4. What would you call a base?
A4. A substence that can accept proton / substence which can neutralize the acid ( i am not sure abt this one)

this is abt it. please wirte reply if there is something more to add or if the answer is incorrect. THANKS !

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Re: Some orrection needed!

1st question:

You're confused. Humphry Davy's definition clearly identifies the basic component of an acid as Hydrogen but not oxygen as Lavoisier's. This is the correction.

2nd question:

Common mistake you make in here. According to Bronsted Lowry's definition of an acid: a proton donor, that substance's acidic ability is very confined and dependent on the nature of the solvent. Here, BL acid doesn't necessarily donate a proton in aqueous solution because acid+water is regarded as an acid-base reaction. You should say: as in neutralization reaction (proton transfer reaction), when interacting with a basic substance, the 'acid' donates a proton to the base.

3rd question:

You nearly got 1 mark but you lost it. Remember to include H30+. There's nothing H30.

4th question:

Depending on the marks, you can give many definitions:

A Bronsted Lowry base is a proton acceptor. (Remember to include Bronsted Lowry. You know why right now)

A Lewis base is an electron pair donor.

Yeah, it's correct to say a base neutralize an acid ,and, "which give the products of salt and/or water". The reason for and/or is: ammonia plus nitric acid in benzen gives ammonium nitrate NH4NO3.

Cheers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)