• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

sound in performance. (1 Viewer)

HSC
is there any rules of the amount of sound effects you can have in a performance? or how it is done?

i dont want to over do it but i want about 3-4 lines to be said by a pre-record voice, like in the movies when you hear what people are thinking.

comments? ideas?

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Hi Global Operation,

I encountered the same kind of problems when I did my performance for the HSC. I wasn't sure whether I should use a SFX (Voice Over) during the first 20 seconds of the piece...It too, like yours was my thoughts. Also questions from another character in the same room.

Honestly, examiners are very sketchy when it comes to performance and using V.O.
Firstly, several questions need to be addressed...and not so much answered by yourself but also your teacher/peers:
- Does it add to the dramatic tension or meaning on the piece?
If so, I think you should re look at the piece. The performer on stage is supposed to address these two crutial aspects, and even if it is our own voice recorded, I can't see this working favourably towards your marks. They are concentrating on you! Not how theatrically spectacular your piece is.

- Are you using a SFX because you think that it gives your piece a more 'professional edge'?
In this case, I reccommend that you do not use a SFX. The examiners are told not to regard the SFX as an SFX...I know that doesn't make sense, but I can't think of an eloquent way of putting it. They won't think of it the same way you do, some examiners ignore Voice Overs and they believe that if the performer on stage can't drive the performance without an intruding V.O., then it is a weaker performance. We are encouraged not to rely (or use in my case) technical assistance other than lights up, lights down. You have to remember that most (I cannot say all) examiners will be marking your piece as if you were in a tin shed without any LX or SFX.

So the bottom line is, they are marking your performance. For me, during the HSC this was really hard for me as I am a theatre technician. Originally I thought that I would be able to show off my design skills by making all these fancy additions. The only thing I used on a blue spot at the beginning of my piece, then 10seconds in, a bright wash over the stage...then at the end lights snapped to black. I didn't use my SFX on advice from teachers and I believe this to be a good decision. I re-worked the lines so I was telling the story from my mouth, rather than have to rely on the voiceover.

I have seen one school use some pretty fancy lighting and music in their pieces, and that was last year. The pieces were generally pretty poor, and the lighting just looked odd. Not to mention there were a few errors with the CD deck during the performance. This is another factor to consider.
But, Ultimately, it is your decision.

However, I encourage not to get all excited and mixed up in the tech stuff...because they don't even consider it, they are there for your performance and nothing else.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Lighting counts for naddah as it discriminates against other schools.

Also, complex soundscapes often detract from a performance as the markers are forced to consider another element to your performance - in essence, if you do it, do it well.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Yeah i have the same problem, but since mine is a script with an announcer, i think i will have to have another voice over the top.

Also, i think i will need sound effects as well, as they are somewhat written into the script.

I am also singing in mine (god help me...) and i think i will need a backing track. So in these aspects i am violating that rule, but i hope i can justify it in my rationale...

Our drama teacher, before he went overseas for 3 months(!!) told us we couldn't use any LFX at all, only lights up, lights down.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Can you take V.O's out of your script? 'Cause I just took them out of mine and it feels one hell of a lot better.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
HSC
AlleyCat said:
Yeah i have the same problem, but since mine is a script with an announcer, i think i will have to have another voice over the top.

Also, i think i will need sound effects as well, as they are somewhat written into the script.

I am also singing in mine (god help me...) and i think i will need a backing track. So in these aspects i am violating that rule, but i hope i can justify it in my rationale...

Our drama teacher, before he went overseas for 3 months(!!) told us we couldn't use any LFX at all, only lights up, lights down.
I cannot stress how important Gavrillo's comments are. Can you possibly work them into the script? Because your piece seems very complicated (almost too complicated) and I can't see it working favourably.
In my script I had SFX and V.O written into them, but I elimated all of them.

A boy in my class last year sung in his piece, and first did it with backing, but later got rid of it and sung a-capella. It was much more effective. Also 2003 OnStage the boy who did MrCellophane from Chicago sung A-Capella and it was beautiful. I think if he had used backing, it would seem too Caberet and 'cheap'.

With your piece, using SFX, V.O. and backing seems (and I'll be honest here) ridiculously stupid for a 6 to 8 minute piece, as it sounds almost technically driven, and I believe the markers would think the same.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
The thing is, my piece is supposed to be a school talent quest, if anyone has seen Bombshells, and the music is part of it...and i also don't trust my voice enough to sing accapella.

However, it does seem like a good idea to take out the announcer, but some things i don't think i can get around...

At one point, for instance, my character is backstage at the talent quest, and her rival starts singing onstage and she realises that her rival has the same song as her. How will i be able to show this without a taped vocal?

Maybe it is too ambitious of me. I always end up doing this and then get totally stressed out of my mind.

Thanks for your comments, gavrillo and skillo (hee! rhymes...)
I will try to take out all unnecessary technical aspects.
xx

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
HSC
AlleyCat said:
The thing is, my piece is supposed to be a school talent quest, if anyone has seen Bombshells, and the music is part of it...and i also don't trust my voice enough to sing accapella.

However, it does seem like a good idea to take out the announcer, but some things i don't think i can get around...

At one point, for instance, my character is backstage at the talent quest, and her rival starts singing onstage and she realises that her rival has the same song as her. How will i be able to show this without a taped vocal?

Maybe it is too ambitious of me. I always end up doing this and then get totally stressed out of my mind.

Thanks for your comments, gavrillo and skillo (hee! rhymes...)
I will try to take out all unnecessary technical aspects.
xx
I saw Bombshells when it was part of the Melbourne Theatre Company season, and I remember the character that you're doing from it. From what I can remember about the monologue, I think you should take out the announcer for sure, it can be worked around quite easily.

At the point where the rival is singing, I think you should use a SFX of a girl singing A-Capella your song...but only leave the cue...sorry, the SFX in for a few seconds...fade in, fade out.

I reckon this should be the only SFX you have...if you use some backing when you sing, the examiners might take it as you can't really sing that well...and need the assistance. You said that you don't trust your voice enough...well I hope this is just a modest comment on your part...because it would be not a very good idea at all if you don't have a strong voice and are trying to sing in your IP.

Remember, if you sing, they will intensely mark it...as if you were a music student singing for your examination.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Thanks for the help, i think that i will be able to work around the backing and the announcer.

You said you saw Bombshells, and i have another question. The 'shaft' theme i think needs to be left in, the song she dances to for her act, otherwise she is left dancing and lip synching to a song that isn't playing...do you think this is allowed, because really, the whole scene climaxes at that point.

I seem to remember hearing from my drama teacher that music is allowable, as long as it is well justified and absolutely necessary...and i think in this case that the rival singing and the 'shaft' song is necessary. What do you think? This question is for Skillo. You have been very helpful.

Ali
xx

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
HSC
AlleyCat said:
Thanks for the help, i think that i will be able to work around the backing and the announcer.

You said you saw Bombshells, and i have another question. The 'shaft' theme i think needs to be left in, the song she dances to for her act, otherwise she is left dancing and lip synching to a song that isn't playing...do you think this is allowed, because really, the whole scene climaxes at that point.

I seem to remember hearing from my drama teacher that music is allowable, as long as it is well justified and absolutely necessary...and i think in this case that the rival singing and the 'shaft' song is necessary. What do you think? This question is for Skillo. You have been very helpful.

Ali
xx

Aww shucks, a personal question. Umm, I reckon you could leave the rival singing SFX in, but not for too long...so no longer that 30-40secs. In the MTC one it was not in for that long..at least I don't think it was. It was a while ago. Over a year. It would be nice if you could actually change the song, set it apart from the other Mary O'Donnell that may be performed this year. But it would take a lot of effort, cause from what I remember the script referred to Shaft as a specific song quite a bit.

However, Caroline O'Connor was singing the shaft song, not lip synching in the play. I was confused by your lip synching comment.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Thanks Skillo.

Maybe i could change the song, although i have played around with the scritp quite a lot and i'm not really worried about being the same as another person halfway across the city...Although i have taken your advice about taking the announcer out, and i have also made the music a part of my performance by having my character take a CD player on stage with her (what do you think of that?) that leaves only the rival singing as SFX, everything else will be with me on stage, and therefore a prop, not a SFX. Would this work? I'm getting scared now... :confused:

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Yay! I'm excited about it now that all the tech stuff is under control...

Skillo you will be happy to know that the only sound i am using is the Shaft Theme, and it is exactly how i want it to be. I'm so happy i want to practice it fir ever. And i can't stop singing "O'Shaunnesy" and "Shaft"! People think i'm CRAZY!

Thanks Skillo. You truly are a drama nerd...

Off to bed now...1.00am
xx

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
so, do you really think no one should use any special effects... cos my teacher is trying to talk me into using a heartbeat in mine (im doing The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe) not all the way through but at the end when the character is going a bit crazy and can hear the heartbeat of the old man.
i was wondering what you guys thought, if i should or not....
seeing as its already being talked about.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
HSC
It is my personal opinion in your case PerfectbyNature that I would find the SFX (if it was of good quality) suitable in your case. However, it depends on the examiner. They could find it intrusive.

Also, you said that the SFX would be a heartbeat. I don't know about you, but I would think a nice piece of symbolism wouldn't go astray instead of an SFX. An SFX to me feels like a cheap way out. But, it depends again! Cause symbolism could be out of place in your piece.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
symbolism as in what?
he has a soundtrack of a heartbeat and wants to put it on in the appropriate part of the piece and have it getting louder and louder and it gets closer to the end. i just dont know if it will sound tacky or something...

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
ok...
damn, so-rry... i thought it was ok... i was just asking. would "What do you mean?" have been better

Mishelli

HSC
Hey, know this is probrably irelavant (cant spell) but in my group we wanted to use sound, but our teacher said that if you want to use sound you should try you performance in everyway possible without saund first and then if you think you still need it then use it. I think that if you can convince your audience that there is somthing there that realy isn't then that shows your true talent, where'as if your have that thing there then you are sort of second guessing the audience..... hmmmmm I hope that made sence!
And the symbolizm..... I think you have to be really carefull with symblizm beacuse if not done properly it can look.......tacky? but if you think you can do it, it can be a really good thing....... yeah, hope I havent confused you further!

Michelle

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
HSC
Mishelli said:
Hey, know this is probrably irelavant (cant spell) but in my group we wanted to use sound, but our teacher said that if you want to use sound you should try you performance in everyway possible without saund first and then if you think you still need it then use it. I think that if you can convince your audience that there is somthing there that realy isn't then that shows your true talent, where'as if your have that thing there then you are sort of second guessing the audience..... hmmmmm I hope that made sence!
And the symbolizm..... I think you have to be really carefull with symblizm beacuse if not done properly it can look.......tacky? but if you think you can do it, it can be a really good thing....... yeah, hope I havent confused you further!

Michelle
Good point. Rep for you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)