Soy Milk, which tastes best? (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Hi guys,

I am lactose intollerant (can handle a little milk in tea and the occasional hot chocolate but usually regret it) and while I love Pauls Zymil Lactose Free Cows milk, I am trying to get myself accustomed to Soy Milk as its easier to get especially when out.

Can anyone suggest a Soy Milk that doesn't have too strong a taste?

So far I have tried Vita-Soy Cali Plus in a Gloria Jeans hot chocolate, I found the after taste a little strong and I have bought So Good Regular to try.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I've always and will no doubt continue to have So Good Regular for the time being. The taste is strangely different to normal milk and it does take time to get accustomed to, but after a while, you'll get used to it.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Personally, I really abhor the taste of normal milk. So So-Good gives me a reprieve from receiving that 'alien-taste' that I seem to get from drinking normal milk.

It should get easier to drink after a while as you'll become familiar with the taste. It's not as bad as some people portay it to be.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah, I didn't find it too bad, just the after taste. I am trying to get used to it so when I do go out I can order a Creme brulee or something and not suffer too much (as I find if I eat a little dairy and the rest lactose free I am ok).

clue444

HSC
try the ones at asian stores, they're pretty nice

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
I like this green asian soymilk from some asian grocery stores lol.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yeah, they're more so soy bean drinks than soy milk itself.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
it amazes me.
the soy milk sold at asian supermarkets has a higher composition of soy compared to the heavily watered down piss thin 'so good' and so is the taste.
'so good' soy milk regular by itself is good.
other varieties have some other stuff added to it which compete in flavour with the soy.
and the watered down version costs at least twice as much.

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I tried some so good today in tea, not too bad but I think it will take a while to get used to it. I still love Pauls Zymil but the whole point of this is to get used to soy so I can drink it out.

jaredtomas

HSC
So Good is a joke.

Bonsoy is the best. Seriously, try it if you haven't.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
I've been drinking soy milk since I was about 10, and So Good regular is now easily the most drinkable and versatile I've ever tried since the last time they changed it a few years ago.
It tastes like "milk" to me now and dairy milk tastes strange, so yes you do adapt over time. So good is definitely the weakest though, with the lowest concentration of soybeans out of any of the major brands. So I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who drinks soy milk solely for the taste (of soy). The Light version is far too watery for my taste, but if you find regular to be too thick it may be a good choice.
The normal varieties of Vitasoy are much stronger. Soy Milky though is very similar to So Good.

I would also suggest buying the cold varieties instead of the UHT ones on the shelf. I think they taste much better, though I've known people who think there's no difference.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Soy life Hi-Cal, which is only sold at coles. Unlike So-good Hi Calcium, etc which contains 37% of the daily RDI of calcium, Soy life has 50% per serving/glass. It also tastes better than other hi-cal ones, it's slightly more creamer and has less of an aftertaste.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
i like soy milk in it's own right, but you shouldnt expect it to taste like regular cows milk. after a while you start to appreciate the nutty flavour.
I dont drink it often, but my dad does because of dietary requirements. He likes the one from aldi best and i enjoy it too.
Soy milk can vary quite a bit in colour and taste based on brand.

04er

HSC
personally i love the green and purple vitasoys, especially the latter. and yeah the longer you drink it the more you get accustomed to the taste.

HSC
I'm a So Good fan.

I tried dairy milk again for the first time in years and it actually tasted really gross to me.

then made me sick, lol.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
yeah i mean id rather have water added to soy milk and drink it as So Good soy milk rather than have permeate (cheap additive) added to milk and drink it as wholesome milk amirite?
or simply lactose intolerant?

chamelia

HSC
All soy milk > dairy milk imo for taste. I go for Vitasoy Light. I heard So Good use genetically modified beans? Not sure how accurate that claim is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)