Special Elections to Faculty Board (1 Viewer)

is a roflcopter
HSC
hi people, later this afternoon the ballots will open for the special election to the faculty board. There will be an email sent out by the administration people in regards to how to vote.
There are 4 spots to be filled.
each person will be able to vote for up to 4 people out of the 14 candidates

The faculty board has 10 student representatives each year that meet with the administration and faculty heads in discussing issues pertinent to the student body. This includes courses offered and teaching initiatives for classrooms as well as student-led programs which will aid the law school experience.

im running :D and so is my friend malika
so i guess im asking everyone to vote for us
but regardless of how much you like/dislike me and who you want to vote for, please exercise your right to vote and participate in the representative process.

my candidate statement

Hello my name is John Lin. I am a second year law student and I stand nominated for Student Representative to the Law Faculty. I have participated extensively in LawSoc, ComSoc and the Student Guild. I am also currently a mentor in LawMSN and a moot judge.
All of us are entitled to voice our opinions and through the four people that will be elected in this election, those voices will be heard by the faculty. I wish very much to be apart of this process, to represent my fellow students and really creating a difference. Although I am in a relatively early stage of my degree, I sincerely believe that I am able to communicate the needs and opinions my fellow peers, to empower them to participate and earn their confidence as a representative. Thank You!

malika's statement

Hi, my name is Malika Chandrasegaran and I am currently in my third year in a combined accounting/law degree. I wish to be a student representative as this is a chance for me to get involved in the faculty and to put forward concerns that we collectively have as students. I am interested in the quality of our education at law school and hope to make a difference together with the other student representatives. I was an executive committee member of the student's council at my high school and I believe that my experience there will assist me in being an effective student representative

thanks for your time

Last edited:

spell check

HSC
uh so what do you actually intend on doing?

that little paragraph says a lot of nothing

is a roflcopter
HSC
i know
the limit of 150 words kinda chop all my initiatives up

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
as a person who has known newbie (john) for about - 7 years, i can vouch for his enthusiasm and willingness to help. i am certain that john will, if elected, valiantly represent the interests and rights of law students. he is open, generous and determined. john is a diligent young man with bright future in front of him. :)

signed,
frig.

is a roflcopter
HSC
my initiatives will be based around what i said in the candidate statement.
There is a distinct lack of interest or enthusiasm from students to raise issues pertinent to them. This includes the interest of groups such as indigenous, international and postgrad body. Through student reps, i hope to make it my duty to empower and encourage active participation in the law school. I hope to do this by promoting the representative process. by this i mean boosting the student body's willingness and confidence to come forward to present ideas and achieve this through consultation with interest groups and individuals or holding discussion forums.

student representatives provide an avenue to see that such ideas be put on the dean's desk

i know its very hard to dispel the cynicism and apathy that surrounds any election,
but i suppose thats life oh well hahaha

voting starts soon
i think they broke the online ballot system yesterday :p

Last edited:

stamos

sellout
HSC
so your policy is to have more student feedback

i thought that there was a large amount of that already

is a roflcopter
HSC
perhaps asquith ;)
HEY IM NOT ALLOWED TO SAY THAT!

hahaha i think it would set a bad precedent if candidates revealed their true intentions
:p

i love you ellipses, you know that man
wana come dance party on friday may06 at Gas?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
grumble...more people looking to put something on their resume.
if you have a better way to acquire clerkship at Allens Snakes Alive et al, i would like to hear it :)

until then i think the rest of us will have to stay sycophantic to the student representative cause...

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
...be the son of a famous lawyer? Be the son of a partner? Have a Wam approaching 85? They take a max of 50 clerks a year :uhhuh: ...chances = nill.
that's really pessimistic :( :( :(

besides, if ppl like a certain member of the LawSoc (i shalln't say who) can get clerkships in an international firm like lovells, i dun see why i can't in an australian firm...

i have another dream 'squishy and i know i'm being unrealistic:

i saw a poster outside the UTS LSS office that said Kirby J was looking for two associates for 2006. the pay is ok ($48000 + travel costs between sydney/canberra), but think every law student in the goddamn country will be fighting for such a position with the skin of their teeth and the pages of their law tomes :(

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
Law schools take the best of High School and then take the best of law scools. So, um, you have to be pretty good.
*cries*

fine i'm gonna be an accountant/finance person! you've destroyed my dreams of going to a law firm 'squishy! :(

edit: it also means the ppl who do go to lawfirms are supermegahyper good... who are also all-rounded...

Peanut11

HSC
What do u have 2 do

Hey im first yr com/law at unsw.

so what do u have to do to get one of those 50 positions?
Have positions at uni and a super high WAM
what else?
what is classified as a good high school? private schools? top selective?

And why is it so hard for women to become partners? Do you have to be mates with the barristers to become their juniors?

Why can't women use their female charm and be friends with them and get in the club too?

Is it because female lawyers are generally ugly and put them off or something?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Peanut11 said:
Hey im first yr com/law at unsw.
wow slow down kiddo... let's analyse each of your questions...

so what do u have to do to get one of those 50 positions? - the short answer is pass the application process, which usually consists of the submission of a cover letter + resume and the interview (if you get called and not culled).

Have positions at uni and a super high WAM - yeap. that's basically given.

what else? - qualities like good communication skills, teamwork and culture fit. to find out what each specific firm wants, do a little digging on their website or rock up to their stall at the careers fairs.

what is classified as a good high school? private schools? top selective? - errr? what has high school got to do with anything... you got into law, you're obviously academically capable of something.

And why is it so hard for women to become partners? - because women can also have other priorities when they hit the age to become a partner (late 30ish - 40ish), eg family and stuff.

Do you have to be mates with the barristers to become their juniors? - well, i'm not sure what you mean by 'junior'. if you're talking about the senior/junior counsel business then no. if you're talking about becoming a barrister do you need to know existing barristers then no. if you're talking about working as a junior clerk under a barrister then it helps if you're best mates with them ^.^

Is it because female lawyers are generally ugly and put them off or something? - i don't know how to answer this question whilst remaining politically correct. perhaps my learned friend sugared plum would like to deal with it.

Peanut11

HSC
law is too competitive

Hey Frigid
Thanks for your answer
My last q was pretty ridiculous.. but I am actually female and confused about the entire process. I couldnt understand why men would actively keep women out of the top jobs (we were discussing the whole *Boys club* thing in class). undefinedxxxi dont know what i was thinking actually.
so dont go thinking im a chauvanistic prick. however feel free 2 think im an idiot

By the way who are you frigid? and who is everyone els eon the forum

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
hi peanuts,

you say "law is too competitive?"... dear, you'll soon learn that everything in life is pretty competitive :p - business compete with each other, countries (ie economies) compete with each other. cest la vie. if you're the type to love competition, ambitious, then you may fair pretty well in a top law firm. if you're not the type, then you may find yourself burnt out by their culture.

i'm not really in a position to say, generally, whether there is an old boys culture keeping women out of top jobs". there may, however, be a sense of nepotism going with promotion of people to top positions generally.

ppl in this forum:
me - 2nd yr UNSW ComLaw (nee UTS BizLaw)
Newbie - 2nd yr UNSW ComLaw
MoonlightSonata - 3rd yr UNSW ArtsLaw
Asquithian - 3rd yr UNSW ArtsLaw

is a roflcopter
HSC
hello everyone :)

the results are out for the election as im sure everyone has gotten an email about

the 4 elected to the faculty board are:

Joseph Kennedy
Julian King
John Lin
Gillian White

Thankyou to all that voted, i will definately try my hardest not to disappoint my peers

stamos

sellout
HSC
yeah so could you get a fourth lift allocated to library stage two

edit: please

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)