Special provisions (1 Viewer)

mangoz

HSC
Hi guys. I fractured my writing hand a few days ago and the doctor said it will take around 3 weeks -> 6 weeks to heal. Should i apply for anything to do with special provisions? o_O knowing that the injury could last to 6 weeks and that the HSC is basically 1 week after that. Actually a better question would be what are the special provisions?

Thanks

K

khorne

None? You don't get special consideration for lost prep time, only for actual exam issues

mangoz

HSC
None? You don't get special consideration for lost prep time, only for actual exam issues
Oh ok because one of the head teachers said I should apply for something but i wasnt really paying attention to him so it could have being something else. Thanks

K

khorne

Well, it's not even broken man, just tough up and realise it will be well fine by HSC english, and that you won't need provisions. Apart from that, type your essays for now etc. No biggie. Plus if anything, the usual special provision is scribe, and you DO NOT want that.

tambam

HSC
If you think it will still affect you in the hsc (even though it takes 6 weeks to heal, it may not be complete and might still hurt a lot), you can apply to do the hsc on a computer.
a guy at my school had a similar injury and got to type out one of the english assessments, and for his other things he got the option of extra writing time if he felt he needed it

mangoz

HSC
Well, it's not even broken man, just tough up and realise it will be well fine by HSC english, and that you won't need provisions. Apart from that, type your essays for now etc. No biggie. Plus if anything, the usual special provision is scribe, and you DO NOT want that.
I understand what you mean but as Tambam said, it doesnt mean my hand will completely be healed in the aspect of prolonged periods of writing during the HSC etc. I'm more concerned however over my maths and my inability to do any for a very long time.

Last edited:
K

khorne

They won't give you a computer, they will give you a scribe. It's not worth it.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You would probably be able to get a scribe but talk to your school again - they have the details of what you need to do.

tambam

HSC
They won't give you a computer, they will give you a scribe. It's not worth it.
Naah, times have changed.
I heard some guy gets to do his hsc on a computer cos his handwriting is so bad that noone can read it. And that's not even a legit reason...

K

khorne

I heard some guy gets to do his hsc on a computer cos his handwriting is so bad that noone can read it. And that's not even a legit reason...
Well yes it is. He can use his hands while you can not. Thus, you will get a scribe and he gets a laptop. easy.

mangoz

HSC
Thanks guys i'll reconsider my options now. I really hate the idea of a scribe since i rejected it during the last assessment and opted to type with one hand instead because of that idea. I'll probably focus on my humanities and english until i can write for maths again and just hardcore that. Thanks for the help. Passing this post i won't be commenting any more. Thanks again.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I think you -may- be wrong there. Not 100% sure, though.

I will grudgingly agree to this though. I was a scribe in Year 11 to a HSC kid - and I found it really annoying, and wasn't too motivated.

I believe that OP should also note that if you do get a scribe - you will get extra time in your exam. The guy I was scribing for got almost double the time for a 3 hour exam (5 hours and 45 mins).

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
Even if you don't want a scribe, you can apply for rest breaks (5 minutes every half hour) in case your hand/arm starts to hurt while you are writing.

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
I think you -may- be wrong there. Not 100% sure, though.

I will grudgingly agree to this though. I was a scribe in Year 11 to a HSC kid - and I found it really annoying, and wasn't too motivated.

I believe that OP should also note that if you do get a scribe - you will get extra time in your exam. The guy I was scribing for got almost double the time for a 3 hour exam (5 hours and 45 mins).
Having a scribe only gets you an additional 5 minutes every half hour to compensate for the dictation process. Anything beyond 30 minutes must have been for another reason (poor reading ability etc)

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
You can refuse a scribe and take extra time instead - I was approved for a scribe, but didn't use it. All special provisions are voluntary and you can refuse to take them for as many or as few exams as you wish (although you need to talk to the Presiding Officer about any practical arrangements they have to make for that).

Definitely apply. You may have a chance at getting a computer even (I didn't qualify, but it DOES exist as an option).

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The reason wouldn't be bad handwriting but what causes the bad handwriting, on other words there is some other reason.

imZerroo

HSC
You can refuse a scribe and take extra time instead - I was approved for a scribe, but didn't use it. All special provisions are voluntary and you can refuse to take them for as many or as few exams as you wish (although you need to talk to the Presiding Officer about any practical arrangements they have to make for that).

Definitely apply. You may have a chance at getting a computer even (I didn't qualify, but it DOES exist as an option).
i have been offered a reader and 5 minutes every 30 minutes extra time.
never used the reader, same can apply to OP.
you're probably guaranteed to get scribe, so apply and also apply for extra time. if you get lucky, you can use the extra time, but using the scribe is completely up to you. also, if it heals by then, you're better off writing yourself IMO.

mangoz

HSC
Thanks guys for the posts. Yeah i'll talk to my deputy tmr and see what he says. I am sure during my english tasks i will start getting pains in my hand so yeah, better safe than sorry. Thanks once again.

mangoz

HSC
And yeah also i was offered a scribe for my last assessment task but i rejected it cause scribes to me just feel unnatural lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)