Speculative Fiction (1 Viewer)

flying_dragon

HSC
I reckon that exam was pretty decent overall (BOS must be trying to make up for a shocking 2 Unit paper ;)

Deadset, that pic with the chick and the fire worked well for a dystopic spec story. And the essay qn was alright, too. I thought they might ask for 3 prescribed and 1 related, so it was a nice surprise for 2 prescribed, whatever related, and the stimulus.

Thank you BOS for a decent exam (finally!)

RyddeckerSMP

Go The Knights!
HSC
Yeah, that really was a good exam, nice and easy really.... Good to know it screwed over people with prepared short-stories for the creative though, it was specific enough for that....... really good exam i though.

jack white

After Hours
HSC
yeah, i really liked it. it was challenging but not too challenging. easy but not too easy. it was just right. nothing like the crappy AOS paper!

moreover, i didnt even have to talk about "Dune" which suits me just fine.
2 prescribed texts + 2 related + 1 stimulus = perfect.

the stimulus material for the essay fit well with the way i have studied the genre and the stimulus material for section one offered a lot of scope. it wasnt too specific and it was sorta fun to write the story, it wasnt agonising like a "journeys" creative response where I find that my writing becomes generic.

i wrote a good amount too, i love the whole hour per section. why doesnt extension start a trend? (hints at english 2 unit)...an extra 20 minutes can do wonders to an answer...

ok spec fickers, lets talk section 1...
in one sentence encapsuate your story...

mine was...

a woman annihilates the last living male in the desert by blowing up his car with her telepathic powers and then this female gatekeeper causes the extinction of the male race and becomes a deity in the Land of the Women, where televsion is god and women are programmed to love the "daily routine".

mine was a little bizzare...

cimbom

HSC
the paper was really, really good.
last year they did an image for critical, and a statement for creative- this year it was the other way around. i really, really liked the critical question 4- it gave us the opportunity to use everything we had- it covered all the conventions of the genre. i went for 16 pages... i'm not sure how well i appropriated the image into my creative response though. we'll see :) . they wrote an excellent paper this year, very happy.

butterflybird

HSC
i was amazed by how all my ideas for creative writing had NOTHING to do with women or burning :p at all.
thus some wonderful creativity emerged trying to get a story originally set largely in a dark room between two males, to involve burning rubble on a beach. was it even a beach? oh well, an interesting story it was indeed ;)
good essay though

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
Twas a fair exam, eh? The quote was easy enough to integrate (considering it's basically the premise of Spec Fic) and I'm v. v. v. v. happy I was not forced to mention Dune. Yipee!

My story in as little words as possible: Woman, who was a biologist that works for 'the evil man' (hinthint the president) confronts him when he forces her to kill the last living tree in North America because there is oil in the area which will be worth a fortune and aid in WWXII. Basically Earth is a big ball of ash, and she is very proud when she confronts him except he blows up her house (her house is on fire in the background, haha) which her husband and kids were residing in and as a result, loses everything.

My teacher loved the story, but I had to switch it around because my main character was originally a male. Is all about misuse of power, degredation of environment, what may be, genetics etc etc.

NO MORE HIGH SCHOOL ENGLISH! *dances in chair*

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
Exam was fair I thought, worried i did not explicitly use the quote as a 'text' in my critical response, it was more a reference point.

As for my story, I thought the picture was gay, but it turned out like this:

A Reverend is sent on a mission to retrieve the worlds last crucifix which was stolen by the leader a Buddhist Sect known as 'Zing'. In order to get the crucifix he had to destroy the Zing's shine. He ended up doing this through prayer and faith. Weird aye. lol.

Spring Sakura

HSC
I have to admit I rather liked this exam too ^___^
I had expected a much harder essay question, but really, the exam was quite decent. Just a question; how much did everyone else write?

Realitarium

Not Bad

Yeah i didn't think the exam was too bad. I'm just glad as hell that the essay wasn't turned into some sort of conversation. They suck hard

Creaytive response was going well, though I kind of spent too much time on the beginning so the end is kind of an anitclimax

Basically it's in first person, with a guy and his mate being mercenaries who harvest bodyparts from gangwars to sell for exorbitant prices in the body parts blackmarket (The BodyShop). This market arises out of advanced medical procedures that can transplant any body part and the ruined environment that is carcinogenic, where healthy bodies are hard to find. It revolves around a politician, who is seamingly against this trade (as everyone is), attempting to supplant with genetically created bodyparts.

In the end he becomes president, the protagonists livelihood goes down the shitter and instead of retaliating they finish at the pub. What a strange ending...

Anyway, I though the questions were pretty good.

Realitarium

Not Bad

Yeah i didn't think the exam was too bad. I'm just glad as hell that the essay wasn't turned into some sort of conversation. They suck hard

Creaytive response was going well, though I kind of spent too much time on the beginning so the end is kind of an anitclimax

Basically it's in first person, with a guy and his mate being mercenaries who harvest bodyparts from gangwars to sell for exorbitant prices in the body parts blackmarket (The BodyShop). This market arises out of advanced medical procedures that can transplant any body part and the ruined environment that is carcinogenic, where healthy bodies are hard to find. It revolves around a politician, who is seamingly against this trade (as everyone is), attempting to supplant with genetically created bodyparts.

In the end he becomes president, the protagonists livelihood goes down the shitter and instead of retaliating they finish at the pub. What a strange ending...

Anyway, I thought the questions were pretty good.

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
pretty good.. spec fic was better off for the creative

pirotess4

HSC
N/A
I absolutely LOVED the exam - LOVED IT!

I'm just hoping the scaling gets me a right good mark so i can get the UAI i need

NO MORE DUNE!
NO MORE LORD OF THE RINGS!
NO MORE HANDMAIDS TALE!
AND (more importantly)
NO
MORE
E
N
G
L
I
S
H
!
:)

xiep

HSC
I thought the exam was pretty fair. Considering they've given empathy tasks every odd year (01,03) and generic creative every even year (02,04) we are pretty lucky to get a picture as a stimulus. Suck shit to those that prepared a creative cos this pic is easy to write impromtu than trying to twist a prepared story 50 times to try fitting it in. The essay question was pretty decent--- basically straight from the rubric! :D
It't one of the fairer exams compared to so many other dodgy papers.

Last edited:

dean2005

HSC
hello VAMPETE!!!!! hahahahahaa!!! yeah the paper was ok not tooooooooo hard!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)