sports medicine (1 Viewer)

4DOGS

HSC
clarify how the nature and extent of injuries are determined?

what did you talk about?
what were we surpose to talk about?

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
i forgot about Totaps.. shit

all i did was : direct, indirect, overuse, soft tissue, hard tissue

it was 5 marks

wat u reckon i will get... 0 ?

meg_1_2_3_4_5

HSC
it was worth 5 marks.
I just talked about TOTAPS and then gave an example of assessing a soft tissue and hard tissue injury

tomcleary

HSC
yeh i just did TOTAPS.was worth 5 marks. The thermoregulation question fucked me up. didnt even know what it means

meg_1_2_3_4_5

HSC
it was worth 5 marks.
i talked about totaps and then applied it to a soft tissue and a hard tissue injury

4DOGS

HSC
Yeh i did totaps and applied into mostly hard tissue injuries since there the only ones u can examine the extent and nautre of the injury through signs and symptoms, but also include some of soft tissue.
I recon 16+ for this section.

nate18

HSC
i talked about totaps and applied to a sport situation and stated how it could be used to determine extent and nature of the injury through all of its procedures...filled 2 pages....
thermoregulation was ok.....just talked abot hyo and hyperthermia and bodily functins, use of clothing and hydration to combat the affects of temp on the athlete

hotChoklat

HSC
nature: all you had to do was list the 5 types and give examples
extent: through assessment so talk about totaps (soft tissue management) and hard tissue managment, mention medical assistance, immobilisation, even ricer for treatment if you felt like it but it wasnt a bad question.
Thermoreg wasnt worth 15 marks tho. just had to talk about all the shit the syllabus says 3-4 pages (not in big kindergarten writing)

half_caste

HSC
For thermoregulation I:

a) Defined it

b) Applied it to young athletes and children in sports (as that is part of sports med)

c) Applied it to athletes in general, under the key terms: Temperature and Humidity, Cold and Wind, Cold Water

d) Suggested preventions such as the water and clothe guidelines

For the 5 marker I just did TOTAPS and X-ray screening of Hard Tissue Fractures.

sanshi

colour my world
HSC
N/A
*phew* i talked about totaps too but i was the only one who wrote that in my class. ive been stressing about it ever since i came out of the exam because everyone else in my class talked about direct, indirect, soft, hard tissue etc.
which answer is correct?

Cocoa_killa

Buffalo
HSC
I used Totaps as the framework in assessing the nature and the extent of injuries gave examples for each. I also incorporated the ricer principle as well as drabc for complicated hard tissue injuies...For the thermoregulation, I talked about CREC (conduction, radiation, etc) and applied this aspect to children and for acclimatisation for the athletes wellbeing as well as the use of training innovations (ice vests).... Im not really sure which answer is correct but I guess our results will tell us....Anyways good luck and dont stress, HSC is almost over

adrenaline rush

Schoolies 1-18/Dec/06
HSC
CRAPSICLES. I excluded TOTAPS completely but looking at the syllabus: students learn to perform assessment procedures to determine the NATURE AND EXTENT of injury... blah blah. But the actual dot point that i learnt TOTAPS under was the assessment of injuries (students learn about).
Instead i wrote about the nature of injuries pretty thoroughly, dutifully concluding the extent of injuries as in by observation to grade it eg. for tears its graded from partial to extensive, and for contusions its graded from superficial to deep.

What really pisses me off is that i studied my ass off for four days and thought i knew everything that i needed to know. Looking on the forums now im seeing that you had to really know the syllabus rather than the info to get good marks. Well then i guess my PDH class is absolutely SCREWED, and goodbye to band 6. Hmm... let me fester in my disappointment for a little bit.

And also that was five puny marks. I'd better get something for the page and a half i wrote.

Smavie

Under Achiever
HSC
My mates mum is a marker, she said that recognising and elaborating on TOTAPS was all that is required for a question like that which was only worth five marks. One page max.

Ultraviolent

Contemptuous Member
Uranus. lolololo do you see what I did there?! do
HSC
mattpolo8 said:
DRABC is used in management..not in finding the extent
Not quite, champ. DRABC is called the primary injury assessment, TOTAPS the secondary. You're always supposed to check their vitals before looking at anything else. If your patient is unconscious, not breathing, etc. you gain some valuable insight into the extent of the injury.

I mean, it's quite obvious that assessment comes before management. Are you saying that you run TOTAPS and then suddenly go "ok, he has a fractured leg, I'll manage it now. Oh shit, he's not breathing, better manage that too"?

TamikaD

HSC
How many marks do u think I would get if I just wrote about soft tissue/dirct/overuse etc and didnt mention TOTAPS?

hotChoklat

HSC
You would get like 2 or 3 because u still answered the aspect of "how the nature of injuries"...seriously don't worry now though because the pe exam is over. But from the syllabus - u had to include both definitions AND assessment of injuries which is "nature" and "extent" and all of these questions were right out of the syllabus. Totaps was key - DRABC isnt what they were looking for becuase common sports med injuries are not often players passing out

guernica3

HSC
Mmm I had lots on TOTAPS. I wrote something like 4 pages, just elaborating on all steps and talking about where you would proceed after each step. Eg. If you observe an obvious deformity seek immediate medical attention.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)