sports medicine (1 Viewer)

emybemy

oh my god why did they have to make 25a) so specific i mean progressive mobilisation and hot and cold, come on!!!! give us something to work with here!

parko

RN in 2007
HSC
hehehe i liked that one! but yeah it was very specific, if you didnt know what prog. mobilisation was or didnt know how to use heat/cold then you were screwed. You might have been able to BS a little but it was very specific as to what you had to put down.

parko :D

hec

what i dont understand is what you wouldve had to have written for 8 marks.i mean come on... 8 marks!

Rachel_999

yeah i was pretty happy with it but it was pretty damn hard to expand on what you learnt. its not like we wud of learnt those 2 in depth to write enough for 8 damn marks! i agree!

emybemy

well i blabbed on for progressive mobilisation
stretching
taping
return to play easily
total body conditioning
strength
fitness
and my heat and cold were very basic just about 4 lines each

eeyore

I didn't like the next part of the question - the one with adults and aged people?! I mean, they're so similar!

chris42

HSC
Yeah.. I think it was a bit specific, where I could I tried to slip in other parts.. but yeah (N)

holl

i liked it, and they both interact to reduce recovery time. Like muscles strecth further when warm and that could be used to help with progressive mobilisation and flexability. Progressive mobilisation ensures you wont have an injury reoccur and reduces scar tisse which is also what heat and hold does by reducing swelling and promoting blood flow.

FreAkay

i didnt find it hard. I wrote up my response b4 and the server crashed so i cant write you it out again haha :'(... anyways it was easy if u know your hot and cold packs :D

rolz

yes i agree it was an easily answered question but i dont believe part a should be worth 8 marks maybe 6 but no more and part b should have only been worth 8 marks i would have coped with 3 questions like 2 five markers and a 10 but two try and write enough for both questions was hard.
When i walk into the exam i had no idea what progressive mobilsation was and that it was in the sylabus but once i read the question i wrote an answer accordingly and from what you have all been saying i think i should get at least 5 -6 marks.
Pretty good for not knowing what u were talking about.

parko

RN in 2007
HSC
i think 8 marks was fair for it. there was a fair bit to cover (not huge amounts i know, but if you used an example you can talk about the concepts in more depth)

i talked about application of cold right after injury ocurs (acute phase) to reduce pain, swelling, circulation, muscle spasm and tissue metabolism (stops blood flow, so tissue cant repair itself into scar tisue) and it should be applied at regular intervals in the first 24-48 hrs of the injury occuring.

then heat was just saying that it was used to increase circulation, decrease pain, relaxation, reduced joint stiffness, increased tissue healing through the inflammatory response. Use stuff like Denco Rub or infra red lamps. Don't use it in the acute stage

also mentioned contrast therapy (sit in a sauna, then jump in a cold pool) for stimulating the circulation

prog. mob was easy, basically you just gradually increase the stress on the injured site until participation at a modified game (eg- at training) can be done. Then visit the doc for clearance.

you just had to expand on the concepts of each to get a fair size for 8 marks......well thats what i did! (but yeah it was tough to get enough out though, i felt like i was gibbering in parts)

Last edited:

Buggdogg

HSC
N/A
Soundz like a nice answer parko, i mentioned most of that stuff. However y is every1 talking about taping and training and all that, i thought they just wanted us to talk about progressive mobilisation and heat and cold, not the stuff that follows, which is why i thought 8 marks was a bit extreme to just talk about those things.
Hope i did the mofo right then.

parko

RN in 2007
HSC
Originally posted by Buggdogg
Soundz like a nice answer parko, i mentioned most of that stuff. However y is every1 talking about taping and training and all that, i thought they just wanted us to talk about progressive mobilisation and heat and cold, not the stuff that follows, which is why i thought 8 marks was a bit extreme to just talk about those things.
Hope i did the mofo right then.
thankyou :cool:

taping and bandaging is just an extra thing i put in. It isnt in the syllabus for prog. mob (its under return to play) but i put it in there cos i know an athlete can sometimes feel not very confident that the injury will be able to withstand the pressure placed on it. The coach may suggest taping/bandaging while participating in active exercises (like running, jumping). It doesnt apply to passive movement (where the coach/doc/physio manipulates the injury)

its just a safe guard for the athlete so they can concentrate on regaining movement, instead of worrying that they will re-do the injury/do more damage

if u didnt put it in dont worry about it, i only put it there cos my teacher mentioned it before to me and it popped into my head while i was writing

FreAkay

i did what parko did, haha and emphasised on Hot packs being beneficial for muscle recovery and using it b4 a perfomance as well as the cold pack thing... but as i said the server crashed and i lost my response haha

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
did you guys talk about vasoconstriction and vasodilation?

catty

yesss

yeessss i talked about vascoconstriction and dialation....wooooooo...not much thou only a few lines :)

parko

RN in 2007
HSC
yes, just that cold encourages vasoconstriction and heat encourages vasodilation.

constriction-decreases swelling

dilation- increases blood flow for tissue recovery

etc etc etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)