st andrews application? (1 Viewer)

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
what does one do to apply? do u have to do an essay/personal statement as well as the references? how competitive is it?

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
i don't know, i want to apply for it as well
if you find out any info on them, can you tell me too :D

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Hey melbournian,
Drews is where i want to go also. does UAI have a huge bearing on getting in. I havent achieved academically till yr11 and winning prizes etc is really hard at my school because it is a high achieving school. I mentioned for the achievement section how my drive to become a doctor has driven me to achieve alot more than i ever have eg top 5 in 3 subjects when i was on or below average in my year in yr10. I'm most likely to get 97+ uai also. I'm up for a prize finally this year (distinction or merit =top 30 out of 331 students. hopefully i can mention this in an interview if i find out before)
I have quite an extensive involvement in sports such as NSW all schools athletics and cross country. NSWCIS silver medal for cross country. National age swmming champs also.
will i have a good chance?
Thanx

Last edited:

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Crikket said:
ooooh damn, so if you're not athletic, you probably won't get in?
maybe you dont have to be athletic. they might accept you if you can show that you are willing to participate. Im sure thare are people who arent athletic there, but then they are probably really smart!

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
i hope so, i'm more of a "creative arts"-y person.
which of the colleges have emphasis on creative arts?

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
do they expect girls to be athletic as well?
if they don't, i might have a chance of getting in! :D

waterfowl

HSC
I stayed at St Andrew's for a week when I attended the Australian Business Week state program that was hosted there. I don't know how good the college would be for aspects other than accommodation and food, but I do know that the bathrooms in the building I was staying in were very dark, cold and resembled public streetside toilets. I wouldn't be happy paying money to stay there.

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
dr porges is friends with my dad...will that help? :p

i met him at our careers day, he seemed very sweet. i have a shitload of activities like drama and debating, play two sports (netball and basketball), i'm choir captain and am in the top 5 in my grade academically. (god i hate myself sometimes. i sound like such a nob.) am i in?? :)

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
omg, you have contacts?
you're definitely in...
i hate it how all the college applications have a section where it asks you "do you have any family/ friends connected to this college?"

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i know wat you mean. im like "i have nothing to write". i really want to go to this college. the other ones seem pretty good too but from what ive heard st drews is the best. ST pauls is also meant to be good. a friend of mine's brother goes there and he loves it. but then he really wanted to leave his parents who are really strict and restrictive.

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
haha, that's s so me too!
i'm not an underachiever but compared to you guys, all the stuff i was going to write about suddenly seem so little and not worth putting in... :D

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i don't want to go too far with social stuff because i also want to do well with my course. I like the idea of college mostly because the access to facilities will be really good. This should allow more time for me to go to parties etc than if i was commuting to uni. Boys club? wat do you mean? how would you classify drews socially?

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i got a reply to my online application and i get an interview in november. they said that my personal statement was a delight to read. do they say that to everyone?

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
oh i just said how "my confidence to succeed academically developed following successes in competitive swimming". Basically how im very self motivated and dont limit myself

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)