St John's (1 Viewer)

karatekid72

woot freedom
HSC
what reasons would people give for St John's over the other colleges on campus?? im looking at applying there later.

Evilo

HSC
hey there,
first of all Its not st johns (thats na ambulance crew), its john xxiii - a pope :p

Johns is the cheapest (of the catered colleges) and therefore the best value for money!, it also has the best social atmosphere out of all the halls (despite what neo_o says*).

We are the ONLY college to guarantee a king single bed on campus.

Ive been living here and its been an absolute blast - best time of my life. This year we won the interhall sports AND arts shield. We've won the sports shield for 7 years in a row. Its been awesome, definitely worth it.

I encorage you to come down for a tour if possible. If you can't, its not the end of the world. If you want to come you need to apply right NOW! They are conducting the interviews asap! get on the johns website and apply now! johnxxii.anu.edu.au for more info. Send me a message if you've got any questions! catcha!

*neo_o and others bad mouth johns because they are jealous that we go very well in most events (and we are proud of it). We have a high spirited community and if you like the sound of that please join us.

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
Forgot to mention the usual stuff.

We are a catered college - therefore 21 meals are provided a week - including a 'brunch' on sundays. There are 320 students at Johns.

**social events**
We have many social events throughout the whole year
*Johns ball
*O-week events every night of the week
*out the back day - great fun - live bands etc (occures 3-4 times a year)
*Tavern nights - a themed night run in our tavern (~3 times a semester)
(as well as the "communal events" like interhall ball night etc)
http://johnxxiii.anu.edu.au/Virtual_tour/HTML_tour/10_social.html

**features**
Onsight tavern - open most nights selling lollies, beer, food etc
24 hour common room - with satellite tv
Pool and table tennis tables
24 hour onsight Computer labs - 20+ computers (1/3rd are macs)
A lazer printer with free printing and paper supply
Music rooms, with lockable storage compartments
Locked Bike sheds
http://johnxxiii.anu.edu.au/Virtual_tour/HTML_tour/04_recreation.html

**rooms**
Rooms are the biggest on campus (although 3 colleges announce this)
King single beds in EVERY room
Sink with hot and cold water - mirror etc
Huge built in wardrobe
Large study desk, computer chair, bookcase, pin-board etc
Lay-back chair
Phone (prepaid system with free calls within johns)
http://johnxxiii.anu.edu.au/Virtual_tour/HTML_tour/01_rooms.html

**Floor facilities**
A snack room with microwave, refrigerator and instant hot water urn.
A free laundry with four washing machines and four dryers, irons and ironing boards.
Four bathrooms on each level - each provides four enclosed showers and toilets, shaving mirror and full length mirror.
http://johnxxiii.anu.edu.au/Virtual_tour/HTML_tour/02_floor.html

**Residents Association**
Elected students look after the social aspects of Johns
The RA hosts events such as:

* The annual College Ball;
* College Play;
* Publishing Pontifex, the annual magazine that documents your life here at Johns;
* Coffee crawls;
* Walks up Telstra Tower;
* Tavern Nights;
* Film Nights;
* Out-the-Back-Day (BBQ, Band, Jumping Castle and fun for all);
* Annual Charity Auction;
http://johnxxiii.anu.edu.au/Virtual_tour/HTML_tour/11_aninvite.html

Have a look at the website (http://johnxxiii.anu.edu.au/) - hit refresh (F5) on the main page and different social aspects of Johns show up.

Last edited:

karatekid72

woot freedom
HSC
thanks for that. i went to this years open day and had a look around. Johns felt like the most comfortable socially. and i've only just started yr 12 so u rekon apply this time next year?

Venusian

HSC
Pfft half the website is utter bullsh*t

liars! there hasnt been free printing since 05! that was a sad day when that went

tav nights are like one a term, maybe two if youre lucky

from what i hear, theres likely to be no more otb's - although ken's (Master/Principal/CEO/God or so he (and the sub-dean) likes to think) gone so who knows whats gonna happen

biggest rooms - johns consistently has the biggest rooms, bruce for example has some rooms slightly lager than others on certain wings which are marginally bigger than johns rooms

woo free calls within johns, well if you live in an anu owned college you get free calls to allover the anu (as at 06)

walks up telstra tower wtf! unless you mean runs up black mountain for IB

College ball - previously held at parliament - yes many years ago but johns has been since banned and subsequently banned from most decent venues, thus now the ball is held in a barn at the showgrounds = lame!

and no, im not a johns hater, i lived there.....but for all you prospective johns kids (and i suppose for all the colleges) dont believe the hype, you'll just be dissapointed.

Evilo

HSC
Venusian said:
Pfft half the website is utter bullsh*t
So the fact i go to johns and are living there right now (not 3 years ago) means i have no knowledge whatsoever? It was updated last year and had a complete website re-design.

Venusian said:
liars! there hasnt been free printing since 05! that was a sad day when that went
Theres a computer connected to the anu quota system - come down any time for a tour and i'll show you it. Anu quota system is free, therefore the printing is free!

Venusian said:
tav nights are like one a term, maybe two if youre lucky
Well this term we had 3!

Venusian said:
from what i hear, theres likely to be no more otb's - although ken's (Master/Principal/CEO/God or so he (and the sub-dean) likes to think) gone so who knows whats gonna happen
Really? cos they've been saying that for the last 3 years, and its never occurred. We have had 3 this year. - all with alcohol, and all with live bands etc.

The RA did have an argument a few years back when it was canceled, but they were able to rectify the situation and continue having it with the implementation of a "code of conduct".

Venusian said:
biggest rooms - johns consistently has the biggest rooms, bruce for example has some rooms slightly lager than others on certain wings which are marginally bigger than johns rooms

woo free calls within johns, well if you live in an anu owned college you get free calls to allover the anu (as at 06)
Ok fair enough
Venusian said:
walks up telstra tower wtf! unless you mean runs up black mountain for IB
Well i did the thing up telstra tower with IB, but the thing this year for the sober people in o-week was to go up telstra tower (tbc).

Venusian said:
College ball - previously held at parliament - yes many years ago but johns has been since banned and subsequently banned from most decent venues, thus now the ball is held in a barn at the showgrounds = lame!
Whats wrong with that? it was still a great night and well over 2/3rds of the hall went! Id rather have a great night and not have a million dollars of unnecessary damages.

Venusian said:
and no, im not a johns hater, i lived there.....but for all you prospective johns kids (and i suppose for all the colleges) dont believe the hype, you'll just be dissapointed.
lol? ur not a johns hater? hmmm il let other people be the judge of that one.

Since you were there (3 years ago) johns has been cleaned up and its actually very good now. Come down for a tour some time! or at the end of the year they will be setting up an alumni :)
Kindest regards
Evil-O

Evilo

HSC
karatekid72 said:
thanks for that. i went to this years open day and had a look around. Johns felt like the most comfortable socially. and i've only just started yr 12 so u rekon apply this time next year?
i think applications open really early like 11th of August (apply asap - dont wait till later). To go to johns you need to put Johns as your 1st preference (because of popularity they only interview 1st preference people) on the ANU accomodation form. Interviews are in december some time - they will arrange that with you. I think theres also some instructions on the johns website on how to apply (click "take the tour" and its the last page)

Evilo

HSC
i heard that award went to burgman, but fair enough.

I'm still alive after a year of johns food. ;)

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
i lived there for four years and somehow, miraculously have not suffered any food poisoning, injuries etc.. though living there for four years was my penalty enough ;)

Kyroth***

HSC
One thing to note about Johns is they're not real popular with the other colleges - they have a bad rep. (Though coming from me who spent several paragraphs saying that reps don't matter in the Ursies thread, this may seem a big hypocritical...)

Johns is known as the sporty, jocky, blokey college. They can be really nasty at interhall events, doing things like staging walk outs after the Johns competitors are done, and being generally rude to members of other halls. They also like to yell at other colleges in the middle of the night (Hey Burgmann, anyone?). And, living at Ursies, I can assure you that no one other than Johns students (and even then, not nearly all) like Out The Back days - seriously, very, very little consideration for the neighbours.

Of course, I know a many Johns students who are really cool and who I'm good friends with. But en masse, Johns are sometimes a bit much... Yeah, reather negative rep, rather disliked by the other colleges. They don't seem to mind though... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)