Standard English (1 Viewer)

SunnyDays

Does anyone know why is it suppossedly not possible to recieve a band 6 in standard english???

Many intelligent students choose standard english simply to reduce their workload. These people are more than capable of recieving excellent marks, even over 90.
Also the work is considerably easier than in Advanced English which makes me wonder why it isnt possible to get better marks.

Some feedback would be appreciated??

The Oracle

because when compared to advanced eng, standard is marked from band 1-5 so 100% in standard, gets 90% when compared to state. I think thats how it works.

The work load is no way lesser, its just easier topics to understand. But workload I think is similar.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
yeah its strange isnt it? same for maths 2u. ppl doing 2u maths i dont think can get a band 6.
thats what i heard anyway.

i think its possible to get a band 6 in standard, its just its really hard.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
In theory, it is possible. However, the people at BOS judge that not one person doing Standard had reached a standard that deserves band-6. Don't ask me why they think no Standard students deserve band-6 ...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ToOhEyZ
yeah its strange isnt it? same for maths 2u. ppl doing 2u maths i dont think can get a band 6.
thats what i heard anyway.

i think its possible to get a band 6 in standard, its just its really hard.
No ... thats not true! In fact, it was easier to get band-6 in Mathematics than it was for Ext 1 and Ext 2. And it was relatively easier to get band-6 in General too!

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
so yeah... so it is possible to get a band 6 in english but its impossible (does that make sense?)

does anyone in standard get a band 6? know of anyone?

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'

No ... thats not true! In fact, it was easier to get band-6 in Mathematics than it was for Ext 1 and Ext 2. And it was relatively easier to get band-6 in General too!
*phew* thank goodness for that! i have one teacher saying one thing, and another teacher saying the other!

well flyin' u just made my day! i've always thought that i could only a band 5 in 2u

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ToOhEyZ
so yeah... so it is possible to get a band 6 in english but its impossible (does that make sense?)

does anyone in standard get a band 6? know of anyone?
No one who does Standard for the last two years has received a mark of 90 or higher. The highest is like high-80s. It just means that Standard people can achieve band-6, if the BOS thought that they deserved to ... But by the looks of thing, they probably won't!

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
there was a much higher percentage of students in 2u math that got a band 6 (close to 18%) compared to general math (2.9%)

i dont think there actually was any standard english students at all last year who got a band 6

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by The Oracle
because when compared to advanced eng, standard is marked from band 1-5 so 100% in standard, gets 90% when compared to state. I think thats how it works.
Nope, its possible to get 100 for standard english, except for the past two years, no one has achieved the criteria to get a band 6 in standard english - in theory its possible, but hasnt happened yet

and interestingly enough, from the HSC results we got in the mail, more students got between 90-92 in 2U maths than any other mark range (increments of 2 marks, eg 70-72, 72-74 etc)

Mossad

The reason that the BOS doesn't hand out band 6 in Standard is simply because the students in standard english are statistically the worse students...i don't want to step on any toes but it is obvious that people who go to standard english are those who are doing Stnadrad either aren't smart enough for advance or are smart enough but are just too lazy...
That's why standard english is the worse scaled english subject...

I wouldn't be suprised if the people at the BOS are just trying to get people not to do standard and get their act together and work thei rbutts off in advance...fact is standard english doesn't prepare you to uni subjects...

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Mossad
The reason that the BOS doesn't hand out band 6 in Standard is simply because the students in standard english are statistically the worse students...i don't want to step on any toes but it is obvious that people who go to standard english are those who are doing Stnadrad either aren't smart enough for advance or are smart enough but are just too lazy...
That's why standard english is the worse scaled english subject...

I wouldn't be suprised if the people at the BOS are just trying to get people not to do standard and get their act together and work thei rbutts off in advance...fact is standard english doesn't prepare you to uni subjects...
not entirely, as I've said, its not up to BOS, its up to the students. BOS sets their band 6 standards, and so far, noone has been able to reach this standard, its based on the ability of students in standard

Mossad

o.k. well then it draws a very unflattering picture for standard english students....which is even worse actually that NON of them could get band 6...

MinAi do you think you could run my marks (as i specified them in my thread- "Someone analyse my marks plz to determine UAI") in Lazseeker or Uaiseeker please and see what you come up with...
I'm aiming for law marks so it's very important for me to know where i stand.

thx mate

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad

MinAi do you think you could run my marks (as i specified them in my thread- "Someone analyse my marks plz to determine UAI") in Lazseeker or Uaiseeker please and see what you come up with...
I'm aiming for law marks so it's very important for me to know where i stand.

thx mate

:cool: :cool: :cool:
I replied in that thread: I played around with Lazseeker, but I cant really determine an estimate coz it doesnt contain any info on Modern or Classical Hebrew...sorry.
perhaps trying to ask Lazarus himself by PM
or jus get the UAI seeker, its only $15 once off! like the price of dinner and drinks!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MinAi
not entirely, as I've said, its not up to BOS, its up to the students. BOS sets their band 6 standards, and so far, noone has been able to reach this standard, its based on the ability of students in standard
It's not up to the students! The BOS could set the 'new' standard that would mean people in Standard can obtain a band-6. If they would just change the requirements for band-6 English ... :p

Mossad

I don't think they should change the requirements becuse if they do then there will be no balance with advance english students, because then heaps more of them will get band 6, which means better marks, better UAIs...and then all the other students that don't do advance will get disadvantaged anyways so it doesn't really matter...

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
fact is standard english doesn't prepare you to uni subjects...
r u sure about that? because in 2001 (for 2002 admin) the UAC guide said the assumed knowledge for Medicine was Advanced Eng but some how in 2002 they had changed it to standard and higher (excl fundamentals). Seems that Standard prepares you well to be successful at a career in Medicine, a career that requires strong expression skills. Some food for thought...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)