State Ranking English (1 Viewer)

Jolteon

HSC
Hi guys!
Just wondering how difficult it is to State rank English Advanced and what it takes.

Do you have to be Rank 1 in your own school to qualify?

cherryboi

HSC
English Advanced is probably one of the most hardest subjects to state rank considering english is compulsory so everyone has to do it. And no, State rank is only based on your external mark, So to state rank you have to beat the rest of the state in the HSC exam itself.

captainneuro

HSC
And no, State rank is only based on your external mark, So to state rank you have to beat the rest of the state in the HSC exam itself.
Lol no, it’s based on your hsc mark (moderated assessment/exam marks) taken into account. Not just external.

KAIO7

HSC
N/A
English Advanced is probably one of the most hardest subjects to state rank considering english is compulsory so everyone has to do it. And no, State rank is only based on your external mark, So to state rank you have to beat the rest of the state in the HSC exam itself.
That's incorrect; getting the highest mark in the HSC exam itself will not guarantee you a state ranking. Usually, you have to be ranked first internally. However, If the difference between you and the person who's first is infinitesimal, and you both perform very well, then you might have a chance at getting a state rank. This usually happens in selective schools, where the first 10 people (just a random number) in a class perform extremely well, which results in the majority of them getting a state rank. It can however happen in normal schools, but again, you, as well as the people at the top need to perform really well and YOU have to perform exceptionally well to neutralise the effect of you rank. I believe NESA explained how the process of getting a state rank works on their website, so maybe check that out as well.

Last edited:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah it is pretty difficult for the most part if you aren't going to like a top 10 school for english then you are probably going to have to be first in most cases to have even the slightest of chances to state rank. Even then it's a weird process, since we often see people in maths for example with like 100, 100 in both external and internal, but they end up with like 16th rank still even though they basicalyl got the indentical mark to first.

In my case i ended up with a 97, 97 in internal and external (because I was first) and still didnt even state rank with that, but i had seen people with the same mark as me getting like 12-20th in the state so its still not a guarantee even if you get the mark

@David3sber

HSC
Yeah it is pretty difficult for the most part if you aren't going to like a top 10 school for english then you are probably going to have to be first in most cases to have even the slightest of chances to state rank. Even then it's a weird process, since we often see people in maths for example with like 100, 100 in both external and internal, but they end up with like 16th rank still even though they basicalyl got the indentical mark to first.

In my case i ended up with a 97, 97 in internal and external (because I was first) and still didnt even state rank with that, but i had seen people with the same mark as me getting like 12-20th in the state so its still not a guarantee even if you get the mark
it's because of the alignment process. You can get the same aligned mark as someone and they could have still achieved a higher raw mark

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
it's because of the alignment process. You can get the same aligned mark as someone and they could have still achieved a higher raw mark
Not at that high of HSC mark. The marks are mostly consistent with the raw mark = aligned mark almost. I may have missed out based on a decimal place or something like handwriting (cause mine was pretty average)

anyways it's in the past just a minor thing still end up getting same ATAR contribution so its all good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)