Stationery Love Thread (1 Viewer)

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Next year I'm doing a BA. What stationery will I need? How do you guys organise folders etc? What do you recommend?

Thanks heaps!

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
you will never be organised no matter how many folders and dividers you buy
NEVER
i learnt this the hard way

bustinjustin

HSC
dagwoman said:
Um, okay. Any other thoughts?
There was a thread about this last year or something.

It doesn't matter how inevitable it is, but really, offers haven't even come out yet. Maybe take up gambling or excessive drinking as most people do in the meantime. There's plenty of other ways to find meaning in your life until March next year.

Otherwise if you really wanna be a nerd, all you need is a notepad or lecture pad, and folders at home, one of each unit, and enough discipline to organise your notes.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
pen and paper is all i need

Lainee

HSC
I don't do arts, but I have a word of warning. Those 3-4 subject notebooks were what I was recommended when I started, but they didn't work for me because they were heavy and I didn't always want to carry around a big bag (to fit an A4 size book) all day. Instead, I buy those 1c exercise books during Officeworks sales and use one for each subject (lectures and tutes separately). I end up using 4-5 for each subject and just number them books 1 through to whatever. Cheap and easy to carry around in any bag. It's worked out to be a great system for me.

You've gotten through the HSC so you have an idea about what things you could've improved on in terms of organisation of your work. Just decide what works for you. I like everything related to one subject completely separated to other subjects so I have separate folders for everything.

I also knew that I hated carrying heavy stuff around, so I take all those reading bricks apart and separate them by topic or lecture week. I'm sure you'll have massive reading bricks in Arts. I also photocopy alot of pgs from textbooks if I need them at uni, so I never have to bring textbooks to uni.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Thanks guys. I did a search for past threads on this kind of thing, and didn't find anything.

Skeeta

HSC
I suggest just paper and a pen, maybe a highlighter if you're into that. You can file it when you get home if you wish.

You generally dont need past notes in classes, (so you can probably leave folders etc at home - well from my experience), but then again, i dont do arts

goldz

HSC
is usuing a laptop a good idea or not? my writing gest pretty bad, do u even take tons of notes in class? (btw i hopefully not doing arts but a b of comm)

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
oh my god. i dont even go to usyd but i couldnt ignore this thread because i love stationery :eek::eek::eek::eek:

i wanted mum to buy me folders, pens, rulers, staplers + everything else i used in high school when i went to uni but she refused hahaha

i do arts at uow so im not completely useless.
basically you will need some form of notebook, and pens. and maybe highlighters. it depends on how organised you want to be really. but you can usually do the rest at home. as in move all your notepaper to folders or whatever.

ps. laptops are a good idea. very handy for lectures, particularly if you are a fast typer. (at our uni) most lectures consist of powerpoints and someone talking, most of the time you can get the slides from the net but not always - either way you will probably be writing down something

company_sin

HSC
You'll need (i) some pens*, (ii) some paper*, and (iii) a highlighter*.

That's it!

*Optional.

J

jhakka

brogan77 said:
Ok well, in B Arts you'll need:

1. Paint, for all ze finger painting
2. Gluestick, for when you make sparkley glitter paper
3. Scissors, for all the pretty shapes you get to make
4. Colour Pencils, for colouring in Tuesdays
5. Mickey Mouse pencil case, it's what all the IN kids are using...gotta keep fashionable
6. White-out, mistakes will NO BE TOLERATED!!
7. Yourself, because you are a beautiful and unique flower who can blossom in the open and creative world of Yoooneeeveristy Arts!
Umm... no.

That's what you need for B Education (Primary). :rolleyes:

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
I've just finished my second year and I still have no idea what's best. I've done something different every semester.

year 1, sem 1: i used folder paper in a folder and had divided sections for each subject, but the folder was a pain in the arse to carry around in the rain
year 1, sem 2: i just used a pad of paper and would come home and type up my notes coz my notes were so messy. I did 2 arts subjects and all I was doing was writing constantly. Got annoying, coz I got behind on typing up my notes.

year 2, sem 1: used a book per subject. Each book had too many pages so I wasted heaps of paper
year 2, sem 2: same as above, except the books didn't have enough pages so I had to go out and buy more books lol

next year i'll try something different lol

My only recommendation (I do an arts degree too) if you do histories and english subjects you usually have to carry novels n textbooks around (coz you're always reading them, or coz u need to take them into tutes), so keep extra room in your bag for those books. I hate those chicks who carry little handbags. omg get over it.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Thank you to everyone who has replied so far, especially grk_styl!

The bag I plan on using is like a courier bag e.g:
http://images.google.com.au/images?...20,GGLG:en&q=courier bag&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Will that be big enough to hold everything I need?

Also, just to clarify, I was asking more for organisational ideas, like whther I should be using individual folders per subject, or one big subject with dividers etc. rather than "will I need a highlighter?" I'm not a total dumbshit.

Last edited:

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
Born Dancer said:
oh my god. i dont even go to usyd but i couldnt ignore this thread because i love stationery :eek::eek::eek::eek:

i wanted mum to buy me folders, pens, rulers, staplers + everything else i used in high school when i went to uni but she refused hahaha

i do arts at uow so im not completely useless.
basically you will need some form of notebook, and pens. and maybe highlighters. it depends on how organised you want to be really. but you can usually do the rest at home. as in move all your notepaper to folders or whatever.

ps. laptops are a good idea. very handy for lectures, particularly if you are a fast typer. (at our uni) most lectures consist of powerpoints and someone talking, most of the time you can get the slides from the net but not always - either way you will probably be writing down something
hey lauren
come to usyd pls so i dont have to lie to my mum anymore :eek::eek: hahaha
but yr transferring next year k? to uow. i'm such an awesome liar hahahaha its terrible

and i used to put pieces of folded paper in my purse/pockets and write on them and take them home and try not to lose them and then would file them. i had one folder per subject. don't stress. just go with the flow when you get there. everyone around you will be as lost as you.

so i agree. go get sloshed and gamble til then

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)