Staying motivated (1 Viewer)

robocat

HSC
What are some specific strategies people use to stay motivated at university?

Andi0390

HSC
Post-it notes.

They are the only thing for me that keep everything together. I am serious.

A white board too. Its like a giant post-it note that you can erase.

DeNiMuLiC

HSC
that mac app that spams your desktop with post it note like things is pretty good too

Bananaberry

HSC
The financial burden of having to repeat a unit
The big fat FAIL on your transcript if you fail a unit
And graduating uni in time i.e not going back to uni for one semester after everyone else graduates.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
You haven't even started uni, you don't know what it's like yet.
No, I haven't gone to uni yet.

However, what I do know is that external motivators such as financial threats or time threats are what gets people moving, not wise words written on a post-it note. People become complacent unless they put themselves in situations which pushes them.

10 Tips for College Students

"By the law of forced efficiency, if you put more things on your plate, you’ll find a way to get them done with the time you have available. So if you don’t challenge yourself a little, that extra time will slip through your fingers."

Last edited:

Andi0390

HSC
In my experience, when you have 3 or 4 essays due plus tests looming in the next week you don't give a damn about a fee you'll have to pay in 3 or 5 or even 10 years time. In first year you don't particularly care about graduation either, some people might, but I know when I am stressed out hiding in a corner at home seems fine if the only consequences are fees in the distant future and a possibly delayed graduation, also in the somewhat distant future.

Post it notes may seem immature or inconsequential but when you can immediately wake up or have breakfast and look at your wall or where ever you keep your post it notes and have a task written clearly on a small piece of paper, then all of a sudden it seems more doable.

Its easy, a little sentence outlining what you need to do, that you can pick up and walk away with. When its done you can just screw it up and throw it away. It gives a sense of completion and achievement, as well as breaking large multi-part projects into small, easily achievable parts.

A white board sets out your big picture so you can keep on top of it before crappy time management skills ruin your essays. You know what it is and when its due, and it keeps reminding you every time you see it.

Obviously everyone has different methods, but for me, small tasks, constant reminders and achievable goals work wonders for my motivation.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I've always found that keeping track of your deadlines keeps you motivated. Other than that, at uni, you should already be motivated, as you're doing a course you want to. If you don't like it, you can always leave.

bio_nut

HSC
In my experience, when you have 3 or 4 essays due plus tests looming in the next week you don't give a damn about a fee you'll have to pay in 3 or 5 or even 10 years time. In first year you don't particularly care about graduation either, some people might, but I know when I am stressed out hiding in a corner at home seems fine if the only consequences are fees in the distant future and a possibly delayed graduation, also in the somewhat distant future.
Exactly.

Doomah

HSC
if you cant get credits, DN and HD in first year, u mayaswell drop out, coz u will be less motivated in years 2 and 3

Andi0390

HSC
if you cant get credits, DN and HD in first year, u mayaswell drop out, coz u will be less motivated in years 2 and 3
It kind of amuses me that you are saying this and probably haven't even started year 11. I am just starting second year so I probably don't know as well as others, but I find my "motivation" is replenished at the beginning of each semester and I get all excited and go to everything and take heaps of notes and do extra readings and I just sort of use it all up.

I wish life was like a computer game where you eat more apples or shiny rocks and your motivation is magically replenished. That would be cool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)