Students of 2005 calculate the band cut offs for the 2005 HSC maths exam! (1 Viewer)

volition

arr.
HSC
106/120 - this is just a rough estimate, I believe my maximum possible mark is 114/120.

Bboymot

Freshest member ever
HSC
88/120 Maximum mark of about 100 i think? But i usually make a fair few mistakes. so 88.

How the hey does this work?

HSC
By the look of these marks...I don't think your getting a very good range. Most scores seem to be >80, which would make a band 1 about 50 lol.

chin music

HSC
N/A
i reckon 105/120 will be a band 6 but i dont have a clue how it works this is an assumption based on nothing but what i think it should be (regardless to how BOS does scaling). Band 6's are meant to be hard to get. 90/120 was pretty hard to get but it doesnt deserve the top band if u drop 30 marks.

trivia

novemember
HSC
108-111/120

edit: prediction way off obviously. HSC mark = 92

Last edited:

Captain pi

HSC
Just some thoughts

While I think the idea was good, there are a couple of things I would like people to consider:

1. Can't everyone just make a private note of what they believe they got in the exam and then reconcile this publicly with their aligned examination mark when it comes out?
  2. I have noticed quite a few people indicating a margin of error of up to five marks. This is probably a correct assessment of one's self-perception. This margin, however, will result in an estimation of the cut-offs that is less accurate than what we, by mere inspection of the paper, and our own experiences, can surmise.

That is all. Continue if you will. I shan't be bothered.

Love and cuddles,

the pi.

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
You're not getting a great range of marks here, I'll help out:

24/120

volition

arr.
HSC
I suppose with regards to 'correctness' of the estimates being 'within 5 marks' - I guess we can kind of 'adjust' according to what marks other people think they got raw and what they ended up getting... I'm not really sure on how this could be done properly, but oh well its just a suggestion

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Captain pi said:
  1. Can't everyone just make a private note of what they believe they got in the exam and then reconcile this publicly with their aligned examination mark when it comes out?
yeh i suppose so, But lol, If i got 90 once the HSC results came out, I'd probably put that my estimate was 100/120 RAW, because maybe somehow everything i answered was 100% correct and even though before i was sure they werent...lol they must have been because theres no way i couldve got 90% by merely answereing 75% of the paper!

lol... but then again I do hope alot of ppl do note down their predicted RAW marks... and hopefully once the results come out people start posting

and besides... so far approx 33 predictions or so have been made, out of 30000 students I think. I hope alot of people start surfing bos after results come out!

thanks for ur suggesstions!...lol keep on posting ppl!, If u want of course!

I just have a feeling we wont be able to obatin RAW marks this year, so im hoping we can have a near accurate idea of the RAW marks for maths at least!...
and even if the estimates ppl are posting have a 5-10 mark range that can be narrowed down, as long as ppl keep posting!!!

Captain pi

HSC
It wasn't meant to discourage; they were just suggestions. I just think people should take notes of what they think they got raw and reconcile it later, in addition to this.

I hope it goes well. :)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
daffidoll said:
i think i got 95 out of 120. so wat do u think my raw is?
that is your raw
ur mark however might be aligned in the borderline between band 5/6

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Margins of error aren't that bad. A kind of triangulation method would work. As a simplified example:

person A believes they got 92-96 / 120
person B believes they got 96-100 / 120

Say bboth person A and person B end up with 90. From that you can make a reasonably accurate assumption that 96 was the band 6 cutoff.

Once you collect all the data I think you will get within the cutoffs +- 1 mark. Good idea :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)