Studies of Religion II questions :) (1 Viewer)

k-cullen

HSC
Heya :wave:!

I am trying to make notes now (as a new year 12 student :read:) for Studies of Religion 2U and I was wondering whether anyone had any good notes or ideas for my 5 areas of:

- how religion provides meaning and purpose for the individual
- Agnosticism and the area of social responsibility
- Judaism and social responsibility
- Interfaith dialogue and its importance today (being a country of many faiths)
- impact of separation from the land on indigenous peoples

I really want to have lots of examples and thorough points for each because at school we only use our Cambridge text which is a bit too brief for my liking on these areas particularly :confused:. Are there any "sacred text" passages or good quotes, current issues that I can bring in, and help my understanding too? Thanks sooooo much for your help (hopefully) and good luck to everyone in their exams!!!! :)

k-cullen

HSC
Any ideas on the importance of interfaith dialogue - any examples? :spin:
Impact of separation on the land for CONTEMPORARY indigenous Australians?

None of this is in my textbook :(
Please help me, it is much appreciated!!!!!!!!

MzBiiBii

HSC
Heya :wave:!

I am trying to make notes now (as a new year 12 student :read:) for Studies of Religion 2U and I was wondering whether anyone had any good notes or ideas for my 5 areas of:

- how religion provides meaning and purpose for the individual
- Agnosticism and the area of social responsibility
- Judaism and social responsibility
- Interfaith dialogue and its importance today (being a country of many faiths)
- impact of separation from the land on indigenous peoples

I really want to have lots of examples and thorough points for each because at school we only use our Cambridge text which is a bit too brief for my liking on these areas particularly :confused:. Are there any "sacred text" passages or good quotes, current issues that I can bring in, and help my understanding too? Thanks sooooo much for your help (hopefully) and good luck to everyone in their exams!!!! :)

1. The meaning and purpose of the religious dimension for the individual
· For the individual, religion provides a means of finding a place in the larger world
· Gives a person a sense of belonging in a community
· Gives them an identity
· Religious adherents generally believe that their faith in and relationship with God adds meaning and purpose to their lives
2. I did humanism and social responsibility (sorry)

3. I did Christianity and social responsibility

4 . Interfaith dialogue is when representatives from different religious traditions meet together peacefully to talk and exchange information about their respective faiths and clear up misunderstandings. Not about debate or attempts to proselytise

It is important as it attempts to provide opportunites for faiths to build understandings and harmony whilst clarifying issues. Example: Australian National Dialogue Of Christians, Muslims and Jews in 2003 by the NCCA

5. land meant everythin for Aboriginal people, the Ancestors and Dreaming were part of the land. Aboriginal people had obligations to care and nurture for the land. Sepeartion meant removal from land- from their life.

Seperation meant they could not look after the land and this meant they had no place in the Dreaming.

There have been some effects today from removal of lands, kinship ect.

Higher drug activity
higher representees in jail
lower life expectancy

Sorry I can't find my notes anywhere so I hope it was a little useful?

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
I didn't do Studies of Religion for my HSC as it wasn't offered at my school, but I was just wondering is agnosticism treated as a belief system (i.e. being unsure) or a position knowledge (i.e. denying all claims to 'true knowledge' on the existence/non-existence of god) in the syllabus?

MzBiiBii

HSC
I didn't do Studies of Religion for my HSC as it wasn't offered at my school, but I was just wondering is agnosticism treated as a belief system (i.e. being unsure) or a position knowledge (i.e. denying all claims to 'true knowledge' on the existence/non-existence of god) in the syllabus?
tbh I don't really see it as a belief system as a system has 'members', and Agnosticism is really a non-religious world view, I see 'members' as usually part of a community, like for example Christianty, where social cohesion can be seen.

Oh and Agnosticism don't deny there is a God (that's atheism), they are just unsure whether there is a god, and if there is valid proof - they will believe it.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
tbh I don't really see it as a belief system as a system has 'members', and Agnosticism is really a non-religious world view, I see 'members' as usually part of a community, like for example Christianty, where social cohesion can be seen.
I completely agree.

Oh and Agnosticism don't deny there is a God (that's atheism), they are just unsure whether there is a god, and if there is valid proof - they will believe it.
I guess so. But from what I'm aware they can also be combined, such as an agnostic atheist who lacks belief in god (atheism) but who does not deny the possibility of god existing (agnostic). Essentially they do not claim true knowledge on the issue, but they still have an opinion (rather than saying they are 'unsure'). This is also true for agnostic theists.

Last edited:

MzBiiBii

HSC
I completely agree.

I guess so. But from what I'm aware they can also be combined, such as an agnostic atheist who lacks belief in god (atheism) but who does not deny the possibility of god existing (agnostic). Essentially they do not claim true knowledge on the issue, but they still have an opinion (rather than saying they are 'unsure'). This is also true for agnostic theists.
Wow, I've never knew that. I've always just assumed that "agnostics" fit perfectly well under being unsure rather than denying God.

k-cullen

HSC
Thanks so much guys!:D

I however have decided to do Christianity and humanism in regards to the transcendent as my major focus - does that relate to the origins of the universe? The oxford book says that it does, but the cambridge only talks about whether there is or isn't a belief in something "beyond the human person". Does it also include how people find information about whether or not there is a transcedent being?
*sighs* Religion is sooooo confusing :cold:<- me trying to do SORII

MzBiiBii

HSC
Thanks so much guys!:D

I however have decided to do Christianity and humanism in regards to the transcendent as my major focus - does that relate to the origins of the universe? The oxford book says that it does, but the cambridge only talks about whether there is or isn't a belief in something "beyond the human person". Does it also include how people find information about whether or not there is a transcedent being?
*sighs* Religion is sooooo confusing :cold:<- me trying to do SORII
Difference in world views

The concept of transcendent

Humanism: does not address transcendence
· Unnecessary within the human life
· Do not believe in an afterlife
· Believe that utopia can be created on earth through correct and moral human actions
· Universe is self existence and was not created by anyone or anything but rather natural forces

Christianity: believe God exists
· Christians believe in eternity and the afterlife in have, transcending beyond the natural world to a paradise where they can live in peace and harmony forever
· God created the universe

(that's what I had in my notes...this is my edited notes though, the ones that would be enough to answer a 5 marker :) )

I hope that helps?

ps SOR II is really good, I think it was my easiest and almost favourite :p

k-cullen

HSC
Thanks sooooooooooooo much!

I am just getting ready for my assessments, which are all questions on the dot points and are 25%!!!

Well at least we know that we are covering the dot points, regardless of whether we were taught it in class :hat:.
One day I hope I shall learn to love SORII like you.............. :shoot: SORII

MzBiiBii

HSC
Thanks sooooooooooooo much!

I am just getting ready for my assessments, which are all questions on the dot points and are 25%!!!

Well at least we know that we are covering the dot points, regardless of whether we were taught it in class :hat:.
One day I hope I shall learn to love SORII like you.............. :shoot: SORII
to be honest I hated this section, followed by Aboriginals + Post 1945, simply because there was so much to know...and I oonly needed to write 5 marks worth in the HSc (multiple choice doesnt count coz it sucks :p )

But I'm sure peace, and the in depth will be more intersting.
Which religions are you doing? just pm if you need help :) Only subject I'm actually glad helping in!!

k-cullen

HSC
Awesome, well I think I'm doing Christianity, Islam and Judaism - aren't they the ones most ppl do? Thank you so much for your help - its just a shame that so much of our school assessment is going to be on this topic and possibly the religion and peace one also- we still haven't got our assessments yet (ie the dates and the actual questions), but they'll probably be on the last day of term:jaw:....

MzBiiBii

HSC
Awesome, well I think I'm doing Christianity, Islam and Judaism - aren't they the ones most ppl do? Thank you so much for your help - its just a shame that so much of our school assessment is going to be on this topic and possibly the religion and peace one also- we still haven't got our assessments yet (ie the dates and the actual questions), but they'll probably be on the last day of term:jaw:....
Ye those are the one's I did.
Now that I think about it this is how my assesments went

10 % Christianity
10% Aboriginal + post 1945
25 % comparitive bw Islam/Judiasm
25% non- religion and peace
30% trials

Peace is important and so is in depth studies as they are the ones that will be worth more in the exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)