studying (1 Viewer)

Lee

this is related to the poll results.

cxan i ask anyone who does enormous amounts of studying how the hell do you fitt it in?....want to give a brief outline of your daily timetable?

Morgues

I dont study nightly unless theres a test or something coming up in the next week
I am planning to study 6 hours a night for the next 2 weeks leading up to the trials because there is still so much i havent studied

what works for me when i got a lot to study/get through is just splitting up the night/day into blocks and while I dont follow this 'timetable' strictly it does work as a guide and keeps me motivated for some reason
eg

4pm-6pm maths
6pm-8pm English
8pm-10pm physics

lazychic

** hOnEy_mELdeW **
well this is sad fo me! i dont study until the last min..
i always make a timetable daily
i do 45min sessions and break fo 15mins.. i always try to do that and stick to my timetable but.....it never happens
i was meant to study durin these hols..but...never happened and skools bak tmr! :eek:
hols shud b longer!! :D

Dude

HSC
Suff timetables, cause you'll never stick 2 them.

Try 2 study b4 hand, and try 4 a week 2 do it bit by bit. I will try this and i think its the best method. Cramming is good, but not good enough.

Try 2 use mind mapping. Its a great techniques where you turn all the different sub headings of a topic into branches from a central word. When you read it, its like looking @ a graphic.

Its visual, and exams its easier 2 remember a picture than a shitload of words on a paper.

If you don't know what it is or how to do it, ask a teacher about it, they might know.

Lee

Originally posted by Morgues
I dont study nightly unless theres a test or something coming up in the next week
I am planning to study 6 hours a night for the next 2 weeks leading up to the trials because there is still so much i havent studied

what works for me when i got a lot to study/get through is just splitting up the night/day into blocks and while I dont follow this 'timetable' strictly it does work as a guide and keeps me motivated for some reason
eg

4pm-6pm maths
6pm-8pm English
8pm-10pm physics

don't you ever have a break?

Morgues

Well you fill up the whole time you got but of course you are going to have short brakes quite regularly

lazychic

** hOnEy_mELdeW **
yeh well every1 has different methods for studyin.. and a study method that works for them..

Nelly

I have a similar yet more painful study pattern during exams (however no study takes place outside exam period :p)

4:00 - 6:00 4U math
7:00 - 9:00 3U Math
9:00 - 11:30ish Another subject.

Really bad, and a killer for the mind, but it's worth the weeks of procastination. Because after all "Hard work pays off in time, Procastination pays off now" hehe

You guys are nuts! I can't believe how much you study! :confused: Now I feel really guilty coz I study for about 2 hrs a night.... Do you ever get homework? At our school we get about 2.5 hrs of hmk a night (mostly maths!)

PSsylockE

i really dont get much h.w work at all,,,,, mainly because no1 does their h.w , so teacher doesnt give us any cos they know we wont do it,, well thats what out english teacher does anyway....

Maria[YR12`02]

on the holidays i was studying 6 - 8 hours (mostly 8) per day
it got to the point where i just completely just got lazy...
truth is, dont push yourself too hard, thats what i found... study hard, but dont over do it..

thing which motivates me most is imagining myself in a fabulous job with what i want to do, making shit loadz of $$'s and having fun in what i do... :) and its all gonna begin with this damn HSC...
and i thought the HSC was the end of study...
i was wrong...

srini

I have no idea how much hours i study. I just sit down and go for it whenever i feel like it. I have no timings or anything. it works well for me, i dont know about any of you guys though.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Maria[YR12`02]
on the holidays i was studying 6 - 8 hours (mostly 8) per day
it got to the point where i just completely just got lazy...
truth is, dont push yourself too hard, thats what i found... study hard, but dont over do it..

thing which motivates me most is imagining myself in a fabulous job with what i want to do, making shit loadz of $$'s and having fun in what i do... :) and its all gonna begin with this damn HSC...
and i thought the HSC was the end of study...
i was wrong...
thats the way!

anyway, per night, i usually do 4 hours of work (be it study or homework) with a couple of breaks
5pm-6pm maths homework/questions/trial papers
6pm-8pm economics
8pm-9pm physics
notice how i never study for english, unless im preparing for an essay/exam?

Nelly

Ofcourse, studying for english on a regular basis would be like....hmmm....I can't think of a good enought metaphor, but you know what I'm getting at. hehe.

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
Originally posted by Dude

Try 2 use mind mapping. Its a great techniques where you turn all the different sub headings of a topic into branches from a central word. When you read it, its like looking @ a graphic.

Its visual, and exams its easier 2 remember a picture than a shitload of words on a paper.

[/B]
I think this is very true - this is a memory technique which i use to remember stuff. You learn best with pictures - this is a memory technique which i have learnt - you try to link all your ideas together. Even if you forget one thing, the link will jog your memory.

Maria[YR12`02]

yeh studying for english would be like such a waste of time..
the marks you get is likeas if the teacher picks your mark out of a hat..
cos everyone interprets your ideas differently, one teacher may mark you correct for backing up your ideas, and another might have totally different ideas to you, thats why i think english shouldnt be compulsory...

english IS important, but the foundations, which we are taught from K - 10 are more important than learning about things like images in film, poetry, etc..

what we learn in Senior Years may extend our interpretational skills, but otherwise, i believe that being good at english is being able to write well, grammer etc.. all the foundational stuff, because if you're not going to do something related with Arts in the future, it may not help out - perhaps only a more thorough and extended vocabulary, but thats about it.

hehe i've ranted on too long.. well just sum thoughts of mine...
;)

Lee

i agree. so many people suck at grammar and spelling but they don't tend to get amrked down for spelling mistakes which just seems stupid cause the subject is english!.

i would prefer to do an appriciation of english course instead of the current one. because i like to texts we do i just don't like how far we read into them. we studied john marsden in yr 8 and i remember asking him at one of his camps something about why he used something or other and i told him what me teachers said. he told me he had no idea that his one sentance or whatever it was actually meant so much!!!just goes to show...and he's an english teacher himself!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
haha!

so true, so true
Extension english courses should b based on wat we do in senior years
there should b a normal grammar/language course to learn about the english language itself, rather than just focusing on different TEXTS!

dissonance

urgh....how boring would that kinda english course be. I mean granted it could be useful for some but the point is that your already suppose to know that stuff...You're allowed to leave school at year 10 therefore the "higher" school certficate should be an extension of the knowledge you attained from previous years.

Grammer should be known by the time someone reaches 17 or 18 years old and I think a compulsory class that deals with topics like this would be insulting to the general intelligence level of the state. Besides anyone who writes with an abundance of grammer/spelling mistakes will be marked down. Maybe not simply marked down because of those mistakes but because a response that contains those kind of mistakes will not have a clear and well contructed argument/meaning...

I think that people do and should be marked down in hand-in assessments if they have spelling mistakes etc. but I think the pressure of trying to consolidate all your knowledge into a 40min essay provides us with more than enough worry about. I don't want to mispell a word under exam conditions and be marked down any considerable amount for that kind of trival mistake.

another question...how are you meant to learn about the english language without focusing on any texts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)