Stupid UAI craze (1 Viewer)

spice girl

magic mirror
Why can't people just goto Lazseeker and screw around with the wonderful system they have there, instead of asking stupid questions about their UAI.

I mean, just put in your real trial marks in, have a look, and then each time, just raise (or lower) one particular subject by one mark at a time and see how the UAI changes.

Those who do science, surely you've heard about experimentation.

Oh, btw, will I get 100UAI? I study 4umaths, phys, chem, ec, 2u adv eng?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree to some extent
but there are the n00bies who dont really understand the whole UAI/scaling process very well, and may well enter crap trial marks into the lazseeker and cry cos their predicted UAI is like 50, but it is obvious that trial marks can have basically no resemblance to actual HSC marks since trial exam difficulty can vary between different schools

sif not 99

thankyou
someone has finally said what i have been thinking for months

at the end of the day why worry about scaling

just do ur best like duh!

Ely

We are all being a little bitchy arn't we!!

If you guys want everyone to stop asking these questions, why don't you E.X.P.L.A.I.N how it works, cos if they are anything like me, they wouldn't know what it was!!! instead of being bitchy about it!

Winston

HSC
i visit tech forums
and the best resolution to this
is to make on stating
FIND OUT WHAT ULL GET IN UR UAI
or wateva
or READ HERE BEFORE POSTING

and in that thread, its pinned to the top
and made notice

and has a detial description for newbies

and u can also put teminologys in there
e.g. cohort
i didnt know that b4
but now i do

Winston

HSC
yeah im not saying it is
im saying the idea they used there

its a good idea
to make a most frequent question asked
as a sticky thread where it answers commonly asked questions regarding about their UAI

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by spice girl
Why can't people just goto Lazseeker and screw around with the wonderful system they have there, instead of asking stupid questions about their UAI.

I mean, just put in your real trial marks in, have a look, and then each time, just raise (or lower) one particular subject by one mark at a time and see how the UAI changes.

Those who do science, surely you've heard about experimentation.

That was a bit hypocritical wasn't it? On the one hand you're telling them to experiment and on the other you're asking the sort of question they asked that made you to create this thread?
Surely you've heard about experimentation. :p

spice girl

magic mirror
Re: Re: Stupid UAI craze

Originally posted by InfiniteQ

That was a bit hypocritical wasn't it?
Obviously you didn't manage to pick up the sarcasm...

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Re: Re: Re: Stupid UAI craze

Obviously you didn't manage to pick up the sarcasm...
Hehe I'm sorry, it's hard to pick up sarcasm on the net.

spice girl

magic mirror
no worries

On a different note, I think people should be more worried about how things are scaled...but not obsessively worried.

Because you (unfortunately) can sometimes get a better UAI by concentrating on a subject that you hate, instead of concentrating on a subject you like.

An example that affects me would be my physics vs my economics...

a good way to find out would be to type in a mark of 85 on Laz on every subject you do, and look at how it's scaled...

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
I agree... and the Lazseeker is a good indication of what your lowest of lowest UAI could be say if you enter marks in a range that you think you would get in without much effort or something...

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
with subjects like those who the hell cares about scaling lol:p

Morgues

a good way to find out would be to type in a mark of 85 on Laz on every subject you do, and look at how it's scaled...
you know why people come and ask "stupid questions", its because they do what you suggested above and then get worried because it doesn't make any ense

You compare percentile rankings in lazseeker, not marks

putting 85 for standard and advanced english would actually give a higher standard english HSC mark, someone using lazseeker for the first time would most probably have a panic attack and run here to ask questions

I don't mind people asking questions, thats how everyone learns but I think a F.A.Q would be a good idea

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
seeing that this is a hsc forum and that the uai is a consequence of the hsc, arent crazes on uai to be expected?

my advice for n00b's is to type in their percentiles and see wat their uai is if their skool is the state. And then if u goto a good skool u can expect sumfin higher, and if ur skool is below average den i'd start doing some study.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The FAQ does sound like a good idea.

Can you all post what you think are the most popular questions? I'll write answers and compile them into a sticky thread.

spice girl

magic mirror
You're right about the 85 idea, in terms of figuring UAI, Morgues. The best way would be to type in the trial scaled marks and have a look at the UAI there. However, my point was only to see how the subjects were scaled. I was surprised, for example, that a 85 for Jap was scaled down to around 74 in terms of aggregate. Yes, my point was exactly to see how low standard english was scaled compared to advanced english, by typing 85 for each subject. Besides, that's what everyone's seems to be asking: "will i get this UAI with this set of subjects...", etc.

The good thing about knowing how things are scaled, you can set priorities on which subjects to concentrate more on. Like in my case, improving on phys will go a lot further into a good UAI than improving on economics, although I got the same scaled mark for both subjects, and that's because economics is scaled down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)