Style and Substance: approaching the notion of "style" (1 Viewer)

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
The English Extension 2 syllabus requires students to interpret and represent in their own ways. How have students approached the Major Work; and, more specifically, how have students considered the notion of "style"?

I would like to open this thread to invite discussion on "style", with the intention of canvassing our views. For those of you who have already completed your Major Work, some reference to your own artistic decisions would be helpful; and for those of you who are just beginning, you are most welcome to tell us about your own thoughts and feelings.

:)

I would like to spark this discussion with some questions:

What is "style"?
How significant is 'mimicking' to the Major Works creative growth? Have you received stylistic 'inspiration' from other authors?

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
what is style? To put it into dance-speak because I am familiar with working within it's form:

"The choreography is just that - choregraphy. It has no life, no meaning, no personality, unless YOU give it some."

Words are such a wonderful thing and so are camera angles. By themselves they are almost meaningless, but it is what you use and HOW you use them that is "style".

Lynn would write more, but she is SO tired! *yawn*

I must admit that your reference to "mimicing" is a little lost on me, nevertheless...

I have indeed been "inspired" by other authors. On of my characters was originally inspired by Michael Ondaatje's lyric prose - particularly his imagery. I also used Jeanette Winterson for her "love me or leave" me tone, and the hyper-alive "OMG!" is evident in so many - bad - teen magazines.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
Lynn need not worry about mimicking because she has answered the question already :). Marcus is also tired and is going to bed now. Wish him luck for his last exam tomorrow!

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
Marcus thanks Lynn and sends hugs back :)

J

jhakka

There are a couple of ways in which style can be considered.

Personal style: how someone writes. My personal style is to say what needs to be said, move on, but still keep my audience interested. It's not too hard if you're a chronic reader, I find.

Stylish writing: just making what you write so damn cool. Quite frankly, stylish writing is really good. I mean, how else can it be described? It makes the reader lose track of time and they become so absorbed in it.

As for mimicking writing styles, I find that reading makes that inevitable, especially if you read widely. If you are a chronic reader you will notice what the better aspects of various writers' style are, and you will subconsciously base your own work on what you notice from that. It's what I do, and I can see traces of a few authors in my own work (mainly Robin Hobb, as I had been reading her books while writing my Major Work). I find that by reading widely, you can identify the better aspects of various writing styles and incorporate them into your own. And I think that's the key to good writing.

horace walpole

HSC
kindred spirit

Style, its more or less what you make of it. Each individual author has their own style, commonly inspired by the authors which they read, thus the circle will continue.

My style is strange, because I probably read too widely and it has become a mixture, or rather a salad of different authors individual styles. Nevertheless it is my style.

On the issue of substance though, a story whether aural (usually a very short story) or written, must have substance. Substance is depth, thus interest, thus the basis of the climax. If you lack depth, you lack substance, if you lack substance, you will lose potential interest, and if you lose potential interest you lose marks in the long run.

Style and substance are both individual things, that are influenced by internal and external experiences of that individual, so it is important not to cross the line-markers probably don't want to read autobiographies.

What marcus and lynn say are true, style is what you make it, and substance is what you can bring to it.

Anne is sorry for the length

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)