Subject Selection (Enjoyment vs Marks) (1 Viewer)

Porogamiii

HSC
So I'm stuck. I don't know whether to continue with business studies or switch to visual arts. I feel like I will get a higher mark if I stay with business but would enjoy art as a subject more but will probably get a lower mark (my theory is good but I don't feel I'm as talented on the practical side). I did commerce and VA in stage 5 and they were my 2 best (did slightly better in VA) but now I'm finding it hard to pick. My other subjects are EN adv. MA adv. eco, bio and SOR 2 so no other major works and I want to keep them so it's between these 2. Business is kinda interesting but my teacher is a pretty big turn off (talks for a bunch, goes over the homework and then gives us the next textbook chapter to summarise + questions). So basically should I value a higher mark or subject enjoyment?:confused:

Wizjaro

HSC
You should value enjoyment, as usually this means you’ll put in more effort this leading to a higher mark anyway.

Porogamiii

HSC
I do agree but for me I feel like my potential mark for VA won't be a high ranking even if I try hard because I enjoy it. There are a lot of really good artists out there so it's hard to get amongst the top but I feel like in business this gap is shorter and I still find some aspects of it interesting. I would stick with it but I don't look forward to it like it's probs my least enjoyable subject but I did a practice essay and we had an in class pretest and I did well in both. So yeah I'm indecisive. D:

Wizjaro

HSC
Well it’s really up to you and the course your trying to get into, if you think it’s a very difficult course to get into and you need to maximise your marks then do business but if you think it’s a course you can get into with VA then do that instead.

quickoats

HSC
When it comes to the HSC and gaming the system, you really never know. I did Society and Culture because I thought I would enjoy it (which I did), but expected my mark to be awful because of the major work component - I was up against 4U English students in a written work, however, it ended up being one of my best marks because I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not too familiar about the requirements of VA, but it's probably quite similar to S+C due to being half major work, half theory, and relatively low scaling.

tl;dr Pick the subject that you enjoy as you’ll usually do better in it

vinlatte

HSC
I do agree but for me I feel like my potential mark for VA won't be a high ranking even if I try hard because I enjoy it. There are a lot of really good artists out there so it's hard to get amongst the top but I feel like in business this gap is shorter and I still find some aspects of it interesting. I would stick with it but I don't look forward to it like it's probs my least enjoyable subject but I did a practice essay and we had an in class pretest and I did well in both. So yeah I'm indecisive. D:
Visual Arts doesn't only rely on art skills, you can always practice and improve. The major work also relies on the theory and meaning behind the piece. If you can write well about your piece, it can still be at a higher level. You can experiement with different art styles, and would be more enjoyable than sticking with a 'meh' subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)