Subject Selection for Yr11 (guidance wanted pls) (1 Viewer)

aks441

HSC
advice/tips/tricks on picking subjects for yr 11 (I am currently in yr10)
I'm planning on picking these subjects

- Advanced English
- Advanced vs Ext.1 Maths (I don't know which one, ?? any advice, is ext 1 worth the extra unit and does how much higher does it scale compared to advanced, it worth doing?)
- Biology
- Chem
- Economics (what does this subject involve? what should you be good at?)
- IST/IPT. something computer-related I'm not too sure yet

Should I be picking one bludge subject? Idk I've heard some people say so

Any advice on any of this would be appreciated. :))
+ thoughts on school ranking affecting your ATAR, does it really matter that much? (for reference, I go to a public school ranked around 300)

How do you guys find the jump from yr10 to yr11. What are the major differences, and how can I prepare?
And is it necessary to go tutoring for yr11 and 12, like should I get a private tutor or go coaching?

yanujw

HSC
Extension 1 scales quite higher than Advanced, so naturally it is harder. Consider the stream of maths your doing now and how well you're performing in it, and if you're absolutely unsure just take it since you can always drop it later. The actual workload isn't too extreme and I found some of the topics to be more interesting (and obviously harder) than advanced.

Eco is a very concepts based subject, and can involve analysis and critical thinking. I've noticed that the best eco students are also the best maths students (probably to do with critical thinking skillls) and if you did commerce you may have had a preview of what it would be like. You'd enjoy it if you like reading the news, are good or at least decent in math and are good at thinking using concepts and applying ideas.

laterz laterz

HSC
just keep in mind --> economics is nothing like the commerce you did in yr10. it gets pretty stressful in yr12 as you have a lot of content and statistics to remember. it would be beneficial to read The Australian Financial Review regularly in yr12 as it would help you have to good knowledge of the current affairs. and remember --> essays are the worst thing about eco

idkkdi

HSC

- Advanced English
- Advanced vs Ext.1 Maths (I don't know which one, ?? any advice, is ext 1 worth the extra unit and does how much higher does it scale compared to advanced, it worth doing?)
- Biology
- Chem

+ thoughts on school ranking affecting your ATAR, does it really matter that much? (for reference, I go to a public school ranked around 300)

How do you guys find the jump from yr10 to yr11. What are the major differences, and how can I prepare?
And is it necessary to go tutoring for yr11 and 12, like should I get a private tutor or go coaching?
Take 4u maths. Also do Latin for massive scaling if possible lol.

aks441

HSC
Extension 1 scales quite higher than Advanced, so naturally it is harder. Consider the stream of maths your doing now and how well you're performing in it, and if you're absolutely unsure just take it since you can always drop it later. The actual workload isn't too extreme and I found some of the topics to be more interesting (and obviously harder) than advanced.

Eco is a very concepts based subject, and can involve analysis and critical thinking. I've noticed that the best eco students are also the best maths students (probably to do with critical thinking skillls) and if you did commerce you may have had a preview of what it would be like. You'd enjoy it if you like reading the news, are good or at least decent in math and are good at thinking using concepts and applying ideas.
okay thankyou, so I reckon I will just try out extension maths and then drop if I cant handle it.

I think I will struggle in eco cause I'm not the best at writing essays so it's probably not the best choice to pick that. Or should I just give it a go in yr11?

Also, I am thinking of doing something related to pharmaceuticals/physician in the future at university. Any subjects that will help with those things?
I'm not too sure what I want my other 2 subjects to be

Want90Atar

HSC

- Advanced English
- Biology
- Chem

Instead of doing ipt or ist do sdd easy band 6 if you know how to do active recall

laterz laterz

HSC
The coding is really easy in sdd, in my
Opinion ipt is actually more harder and boring in term of content
I think it depends on the school, for my school --> kids kinda struggle with the coding stuff but they still get through it
imo it's kinda hard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)