Subject selection help, for TOMORROW! (1 Viewer)

evasharman

HSC
Hi Everyone!
So, we have to choose our subjects TOMORROW, and these are the ones I am definitely sure of:

- English Advanced
- Modern History
- French Continuers
- SOR2
- Biology

As you can see, I only have 10 units so far.
For my other subject, I was thinking of either doing:
- Earth & Environmental Science
- Geography
- Ancient History
- Legal Studies

I'll end up doing 1 of those above and the other 2 will be my backups.

Any advice/experience on these subjects? I am interested in all of them, probably Earth the most, I really like history, I'd had my heart set on Geography and Legal sounds interesting, + I want to be a journalist!

I'm just wondering also if I did Earth, would it be hard to do Earth & Bio? Or Ancient and Modern? Basically which of these subjects would suit me more!

Thanks! :)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Geography is a great option if you're interested in journalism as a lot of the course content requires you to critically analyse real world issues.

HSC
Mmmm.. I would eliminate Ancient because 2 histories is quite a bit of work! 2 sciences are fine (I'm doing chem and bio and it's going pretty well). Which subject do you find the most interesting, and the most fun? Do some research and have a look at the syllabuses. Read through what you'll be learning in prelim and HSC and see if that interests you!

evasharman

HSC
Ok thanks for the advice guys! Geography usually runs at our school, although it's only one class and usually quite small.

I got my report today, if it makes a difference!
English - A
Maths - A
French - A
Science - A
Music - A
Geography - A
Religion - B
P.E. - B (only 2 people in our whole year got A's!)

honey23

HSC
N/A
Hey there! I am in year 11 and I do Biology and Earth!
Earth is much like Biology. It's a combination of Biology and Geography.
It's very interesting and I have noticed a LOT of overlap of the Biology and Earth content.
It's helped so much!
I like Earth a lot, it is very hand on at my school and it's nice to learn about the scientific processes which tailor the world around us!
I think you will like Earth if you choose it.
Two histories at once will be uber challenging, many of my friends say legal is very very boring (I don't do it so I can't comment for myself).

Good luck choosing nonetheless!
PS grab a copy of the Earth syllabus to see if you would enjoy learning about that kind of thing if you have time :)

MrPresident

HSC
Hi Everyone!
So, we have to choose our subjects TOMORROW, and these are the ones I am definitely sure of:

- English Advanced
- Modern History
- French Continuers
- SOR2
- Biology

As you can see, I only have 10 units so far.
For my other subject, I was thinking of either doing:
- Earth & Environmental Science
- Geography
- Ancient History
- Legal Studies

I'll end up doing 1 of those above and the other 2 will be my backups.

Any advice/experience on these subjects? I am interested in all of them, probably Earth the most, I really like history, I'd had my heart set on Geography and Legal sounds interesting, + I want to be a journalist!

I'm just wondering also if I did Earth, would it be hard to do Earth & Bio? Or Ancient and Modern? Basically which of these subjects would suit me more!

Thanks! :)
Hahah last minute :p

I'm doing geography in Year 11 too, and i'm pretty exited. Make sure you choose a subject that you like though, because you'll most likely be stuck with that choice for the next 2 years, so make sure you are 100% sure you can commit yourself, because if you hate the subject in year 12, it's gonna suck :L

historia

HSC
I do both histories, it really isn't that challenging, plus they are totally unrelated in terms of content which makes them less repetitive/related than you would think. Personally, I like doing both but prefer ancient over modern as ancient is more based on personal interpretation/ source analysis, whereas modern is more set in stone. However, at lot of people don't like ancient for some reasons. Do you know what topics your school does for the histories? I wouldn't be worried too much about the workload/ similarity between the two, you seem to like humanities and they're all essay based anyways. From experience, legal studies is horrible, very repetitive content wise. Geography is supposed to be interesting, but again I think it depends on what topics you do. Earth and environmental never runs at my school so I can't help you there. Not trying to copy the guy above, but it is really important to pick subjects that you have an interest in, from experience it makes studying and concentrating in class so much easier. Don't be too worried about subject choices anyways, you can usually switch in the first few weeks at most schools. I'd also recommend english extension if you like humanities, its so much better than advanced and not too much extra work. In terms of journalism, geography is probably the most applicable for that.
Best of luck with your choices.

Last edited:

michelleeeee

HSC
some of my friends do geography and they absolutely love it, plus the fact it isn't a very popular subject means you're likely to have a small class which is a really good benefit!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)