Subject Selection yr 11 (1 Viewer)

fairybread

HSC
Okay so my subject selection is due pretty soon and I have no idea what to do.

Can't decide between the following

1. Extension maths or just Advanced (school recommends 85%, I'm 80%)
2. Advanced or standard english (Low B)
3. Economics
4. Business Studies
5. Chemistry or Physics
6. Legal studies

I also have to do SOR as well so if I don't choose Ext maths I will probably need to add a 1 unit subject

If anyone can give me some information on the subjects that would be great

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I would just try out the extension maths because it scales really well if you get band 5 and above, and if you're struggling you can just drop the subject.

For English choose advanced, you have a much better chance in adv to get a good mark since standard has poor aligning in which less than 1% of the people doing the subject get a band 6 and you practically are going to do the same types of things in standard as you would in advanced.

If you like commerce and that type of stuff then Eco and business are good to choose as the subjects have some overlapping concepts.

Between chemistry and physics it will be difficult to choose as both subjects are difficult in there own way so you should consider your respective interests in them, past performance of your school in each in terms of b6 (can find that on hsc ninja) and the quality of the teachers.

fairybread

HSC
I would just try out the extension maths because it scales really well if you get band 5 and above, and if you're struggling you can just drop the subject.

For English choose advanced, you have a much better chance in adv to get a good mark since standard has poor aligning in which less than 1% of the people doing the subject get a band 6 and you practically are going to do the same types of things in standard as you would in advanced.

If you like commerce and that type of stuff then Eco and business are good to choose as the subjects have some overlapping concepts.

Between chemistry and physics it will be difficult to choose as both subjects are difficult in there own way so you should consider your respective interests in them, past performance of your school in each in terms of b6 (can find that on hsc ninja) and the quality of the teachers.
Thanks heaps! I want to take economics as I'm interested in finance/accounting but not sure about whether to take business or legal and as of chemistry the current teacher can't explain the content and all the current year 11's I have spoken to said they needed to get a tutor to keep up with the work. And due to the new syllabus for Physics it requires more maths than previously so all the students at my school are scared of choosing it.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks heaps! I want to take economics as I'm interested in finance/accounting but not sure about whether to take business or legal and as of chemistry the current teacher can't explain the content and all the current year 11's I have spoken to said they needed to get a tutor to keep up with the work. And due to the new syllabus for Physics it requires more maths than previously so all the students at my school are scared of choosing it.
I wouldn't really worry about the math in physics, even if it requires more math I doubt it is going to be that hard to understand. It is more the ability to understand the physics behind the math that will stump students, this is already shown in Chem where the actual math is relatively simple (general-2 unit level), but because the chemical principles might be difficult to understand so people lose marks on calculations

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
For business the subject to be honest is pretty easy and you can achieve a band 6 if you put in the effort. Not too sure about legal studies but it does have fairly similar scaling to business

fairybread

HSC
For business the subject to be honest is pretty easy and you can achieve a band 6 if you put in the effort. Not too sure about legal studies but it does have fairly similar scaling to business
Thanks mate, this has actually helped a lot. I think i'll probably do business and eco.

Frostguard

HSC
Like Jazz519 said I think you can handle Extension Maths, even if you aren't in the recommended percentage, just try it out and maybe you'll be one of these students who performs better at 3 Unit Maths than 2 Unit Maths (funny thing lol but there are people like that). Extension Maths will just be like an upgraded version of normal advanced maths with probably much more homework and mathematical concepts but I'm sure you can handle the workload.

As for English take Advanced over Standard because it's hard to get a band 6 in Standard as Jazz said above, but in terms of the workload and difficulty, there isn't much difference, both types in my own grade have similar assessments, except with the percentages but honestly it's just a little bit harder and even if you are a low B, maintain that low B and maybe even turn that into a high B or even an A.

You've got your Business Studies and Economics, perfect if you truly want a career in finance and commerce and that sort of stuff, the two have similar concepts that can be applied to both subjects and make sure to brush up on your essay writing skills and your ability to remember the content and be able to answer the questions properly, no point in remembering the content if you can't apply it (insert finger pointing to head meme)

So you've got Ext Maths + Adv Eng + SOR + Business + Eco + final 2 unit subject

That remains Chemistry/Physics and Legal Studies
Of the two sciences, I'd probably take Chemistry because imo, I think Physics is the Maths science, Bio is the English science and Chemistry is both Maths and English, I don't know much on this unfortunately but just remember that in science it is not like normal Humanities where you got marks by regurgitating information but more like you must remember specific terminology to get full marks on the question.

Whilst I take Legal Studies (this subject is imo a bit of common sense like knowing court personnel, crime, human rights, rights and responsibilities, legal system and is based off typical multiple choice, short answer and essay, I think it's interesting and is a good indication if you want to study law or not, but is not necessarily how law will be like, it is like a simplified version of law itself).
I myself, I do think it's advisable to do at least 1 Science and in this case Chemistry, taking Legal would mean you have like 3 Humanities and no Sciences but if you're more of a Humanities person then go right ahead but I'm sure Chemistry will be a good refresher from the constant essay writing and short answers that you may get from Business and Economics.

But yeah that's what I think you should take but good luck in the future and hopefully you choose subjects you love and have interest in. :)

fairybread

HSC
Like Jazz519 said I think you can handle Extension Maths, even if you aren't in the recommended percentage, just try it out and maybe you'll be one of these students who performs better at 3 Unit Maths than 2 Unit Maths (funny thing lol but there are people like that). Extension Maths will just be like an upgraded version of normal advanced maths with probably much more homework and mathematical concepts but I'm sure you can handle the workload.

As for English take Advanced over Standard because it's hard to get a band 6 in Standard as Jazz said above, but in terms of the workload and difficulty, there isn't much difference, both types in my own grade have similar assessments, except with the percentages but honestly it's just a little bit harder and even if you are a low B, maintain that low B and maybe even turn that into a high B or even an A.

You've got your Business Studies and Economics, perfect if you truly want a career in finance and commerce and that sort of stuff, the two have similar concepts that can be applied to both subjects and make sure to brush up on your essay writing skills and your ability to remember the content and be able to answer the questions properly, no point in remembering the content if you can't apply it (insert finger pointing to head meme)

So you've got Ext Maths + Adv Eng + SOR + Business + Eco + final 2 unit subject

That remains Chemistry/Physics and Legal Studies
Of the two sciences, I'd probably take Chemistry because imo, I think Physics is the Maths science, Bio is the English science and Chemistry is both Maths and English, I don't know much on this unfortunately but just remember that in science it is not like normal Humanities where you got marks by regurgitating information but more like you must remember specific terminology to get full marks on the question.

Whilst I take Legal Studies (this subject is imo a bit of common sense like knowing court personnel, crime, human rights, rights and responsibilities, legal system and is based off typical multiple choice, short answer and essay, I think it's interesting and is a good indication if you want to study law or not, but is not necessarily how law will be like, it is like a simplified version of law itself).
I myself, I do think it's advisable to do at least 1 Science and in this case Chemistry, taking Legal would mean you have like 3 Humanities and no Sciences but if you're more of a Humanities person then go right ahead but I'm sure Chemistry will be a good refresher from the constant essay writing and short answers that you may get from Business and Economics.

But yeah that's what I think you should take but good luck in the future and hopefully you choose subjects you love and have interest in. :)
Thanks for the detailed response, it gave me a good insight on what the subjects are like. I had to put my form in today and ended up with Ext Maths + Adv Eng + SOR 1 + Business + Eco + Chemistry. Hopefully I can get a good atar with these subjects.

bujolover

HSC
Thanks for the detailed response, it gave me a good insight on what the subjects are like. I had to put my form in today and ended up with Ext Maths + Adv Eng + SOR 1 + Business + Eco + Chemistry. Hopefully I can get a good atar with these subjects.
You absolutely can with the right amount of smart (not hard ;)) work.

atran

HSC
hi does yr 11 school marks count towards the 50% of the hsc marks or y12 school marks only??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)