Subjects (1 Viewer)

not_sure

HSC
hEy peeps,

So because our school does this thing called compressed curriculum (basically 3 units prelim and hsc one year, another 3 the next year), we have to start year 11 halfway through term 4 this year and we're starting subject selection quite early.

I have a few questions, both about career paths and subjects. First off, I think that my dream career would be HR or management in an NGO or something like that. I'd also be down to be a lawyer, but don't know if this would really satisfy me. So I guess the degree I'd like to do would be Business Management/Law at UQ. I would need a 95 ATAR which is really really high and only 1 person or even none at my school get this high every year. But ofc my aspirations could change.

So considering this, I'm thinking about these subjects;
English Advanced, SOR2, 3u Maths, Ancient History, Modern History, Biology. I am super interested in all. This totals 13 units. I feel like I could MAYBE start with this, but would definitely drop something.

However, the lines aren't really in my favour. I would have to do:

YEAR 11 - 3u maths, Ancient History/Biology (or both). If only one I'd just take SLR then drop.
Year 12 - English, SOR2, Modern/Biology (only one)

So I guess what I'm asking, if I do modern, SOR and english all in one year would I get overwhelmed with writing essays?? I feel like it could be beneficial to do Bio with all of these to break it up and then Ancient the year before, but Modern would be the subject I have the most interest in. Similarly, I feel like if I do Bio and 3u Maths I would get a bit bored? I don't really know.

Any suggestions or advise would be sooooooo welcomed as I'm really confused and I should be deciding in the next 4 weeks (although I can easily change).

Thanks and this is super long so thanks for reading all the way !!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
My question to you is why you don't pick Business Studies and Legal Studies? Business Studies has a whole HSC topic on HR as well as a preliminary topic dealing with business management and Legal Studies is all about law, so they are both consistent with your career interests and provide you with knowledge that will benefit you in your first-year university units.

To answer your questions:

- Doing Modern History, SOR II and English all in one year is of course a lot of work, but your situation is better than the regular HSC student who picks those subjects, as they would typically have to deal with 2-3 additional subjects in addition to the first 3 within the same year (like maths, science and possibly language subjects). While I think it will be a significant amount of work, I don't think it will be overwhelming for you.

- If you feel Biology might be boring for you, you should probably pick a subject that's relevant to your future tertiary studies (such as one of the subjects I mentioned above) as you are more likely to be interested in that than Biology.

I hope this helps! 😄

not_sure

HSC
Well Business Studies is on the same line as Advanced English and I've been told by some people who did law that you should be better off taking a subject you have more interest in (Biology, Ancient History) rather than Legal Studies as its all covered in the first few weeks without the fluff and the skills you build are the same in most other writing courses. Its not that Biology bores me or maths wrong word choice its that I like a balance between Humanities and STEM.

Thanks for your advise, I appreciate it a lot! :))))

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Well Business Studies is on the same line as Advanced English and I've been told by some people who did law that you should be better off taking a subject you have more interest in (Biology, Ancient History) rather than Legal Studies as its all covered in the first few weeks without the fluff and the skills you build are the same in most other writing courses. Its not that Biology bores me or maths wrong word choice its that I like a balance between Humanities and STEM.

Thanks for your advise, I appreciate it a lot! :))))
No worries!

I see. In that case, I would suggest that you do Biology instead of Ancient History in your first year as that will allow you to maintain the balance you mentioned between humanities subjects and STEM subjects. That way, you should be good to go in terms of your subject selection. The only thing that's left is to study regularly to make sure you receive good marks.

I don't usually recommend this but would doing English Standard instead of English Advanced allow you to do Business Studies? When I did my HSC I had a clash between IPT and EAL/D which forced me to pick English Standard instead of EAL/D to secure IPT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)