Suicide in Australia (1 Viewer)

Ellie_Belly

HSC
Hey guys,

Lately the issue of suicide has been showing up in the news. Today on the radio I heard that the suicide rate is seven people per day.
I can't find an article with that statistic, but this article:

http://www.lifeline.org.au/article.php?id=34

Says that the rate is six people per day.

This is more deaths than car accidents. The question is, what can the government do to help? I think more money needs to be spent, and we need to concentrate on things like depression more.

IronMaiden

HSC
N/A
It is sad but true. I have experienced suicide more times than I would have liked to and it effects more than just the person committing.

Ellie_Belly

HSC
Table 1: Some factors influencing suicide. Psychiatric Influences Psychological Influences Socio-Cultural Influences Depression Self-esteem Sexual orientation Schizophrenia Coping with stress and crisis Aboriginality Substance abuse Family background Unemployment rates (alcoholism, drug abuse)Relationships Marital status Personality Disorders Coping skills Economic cycles (Borderline, Antisocial) Loss and grief Migration and Ethnicity Neurobiological factors Feelings of worthlessness Temporal variation Depression Media Isolation Public Welfare AlienationDemographics - rural or urban Guilt Availability of means to suicide Shame Influence of Religion Societal Values Societal Expectations

http://www.wesleymission.org.au/publications/r&d/suicide.htm#causes

kimmi06

HSC
Ellie_Belly said:
The problem is, if you're suicidal it's not likely that you'll listen to help in the form of something like a government ad.
Yehhh that's exactly the problem. I really think there needs to be a greater emphasis on school counselling and Kids Help Line and other organisations, but also I think there needs to be some sort of organisation that kind of emphasises and can establish good self-esteem in kids and young adults too. Maybe an organisation that can run workshops in schools or something, I don't know. Preferably it would be run by young people so they an relate to the school kids. Is there any organisation already like this? I haven't done much research.

PiGMAN

HSC
Dr_Doom said:
It's so sad. I don't know why people do it..
perhaps because they've come to realise that life, infact, is pointless and would rather end it sooner than later.

gerhard

HSC
id be interested in seeing if/how that changed over time

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
hmm i would say i have alot of experience with sucide

People ive been friends with have been sucidal, some i could talk out of it... and one i knew something was up but didnt say anything, he ended up going through with it.... I have felt really depressed sometimes and thought about sucide i nthe end coming to the conclusion that the best method would be something hardcore that put you all over the news e.g going the the bridge climb ,taking off your harness and jumping off, or strapping yourself to the front of you car, and through the use of strings and a brick on the accelerator, driving yourself into a brickwall at 80kmph, or driving off a bridge or a cliff -

or how about high speed crashes? driving into the side of a building in sydney central at 200kmph+ would get some attention

Yeah sucide is pretty prevailent...gee i wonder why? life is pretty fucked up ok? people who think life its dandy are the ones with something wrong with them. In a society where almost everyone at one stage gets depressed and sick of living their life, it makes you think whats wrong with society to make people so sick of life.
We have to deal with life, and tell them its designed as a challenge: if you can make your mortgage payment by the end of the month you win! win what? err a roof over you and your kids heads for the next month.

Society has alot of problems and one thing that makes me [and depressed people] feel depressed is when i see everyone smiling[however falsly] and acting like life is wonderful and not a care in the world. I need to be around real people who have real problems and complain about them instead of
a) people who act like life is an episode of the brady bunch
b) people whose lifes are pretty good[e.g most emo kids] and complain and winge over minor things. I remember when my pop died, i was on a camp when i found out and not 10 feet away where some kids whinging about how much their life sucked and how shit the camp was because it only had water, not coke.

Have you ever tried to convince someone not to do it and actually realised they dont really have a reason for living? that maybe their choice to end their life is pretty justified? Basically i said
"suck it up princess, the world isnt fair and its supposed to be hard, real fucking hard. Rich kids get given everything whilst your parents slave away to send you to school, are you gonna throw away the opertunites your parents and life itself have given you? are you gonna let those rich fucks win? because i personally want to live for another 10 years and read in the papers: rich kid - died of coke overdose"

Its sad but i dont actually know how to solve the problem, perhaps instread of school councillors we can have life councillors e.g " so you screwed up your HSC and think you have no chance in life? well iam gonna fix your life up and solve all your problems!"

transcendent

HSC
N/A
If I wanted to die, then I'll choose to die. I'd consider my options and if that's the decision I come to then I have more decisions. How to end it. Alot probably are too scared to go through with it and so don't. With those that are, well at least to them their suffering is at an end.

Dr_Doom

HSC
Serius said:
... Why dont you know people do it? its clear as crystal to me
Nothings that bad that it will lead to killing yourself. Unless you're going to die anyway.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
listen God lover. we don't all share your Mary whipped values on death, much less life. people are going to do what they are going to do. you can tell them their issues aren't that bad and maybe they aren't to you but to them it is. that's why not everyone is God's bitch.

davin

HSC
N/A
i don't think this is a thing that gov't can just throw money at and fix. beyond it not actually effecting people, i'd also wonder how many people don't even make it known until they do. i know when I was at my most suicidal points years back, i really kept it private and to myself without letting it be known because i didn't want other people to be dealing or interfereing with it. certainly no way i'd have gone somewhere for some sort of 'help'

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Mongke said:
Serius: what do you think would help people who are depressed? more and better psychologists maybe?
ofcourse thats my position, how did you know what my degree was? Its definetely the best short term fix i can think of.
Really though we should be fixing whats wrong with the world so people dont get depressed about it, not fixing them when they have a normal human reaction to society

PiGMAN

HSC
transcendent said:
listen God lover. we don't all share your Mary whipped values on death, much less life. people are going to do what they are going to do. you can tell them their issues aren't that bad and maybe they aren't to you but to them it is. that's why not everyone is God's bitch.
ah that made me smile

kimmi06

HSC
Serius said:
Society has alot of problems and one thing that makes me [and depressed people] feel depressed is when i see everyone smiling[however falsly] and acting like life is wonderful and not a care in the world. I need to be around real people who have real problems and complain about them
Well good for you, I personally believe that's a pretty poor attitude, but your opinion is just as valid as mine I guess. The only thing though, is some people who are depressed and suicidal actually want to be helped, hence why several people in this thread are questioning what can be done to prevent or lower the suicide rate in Australia.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Dr_Doom said:
Nothings that bad that it will lead to killing yourself. Unless you're going to die anyway.
Count yourself lucky that you havent experienced anything that has led you to consider death. In saying this, I don't mean that death is a solution, but a common consideration? Yes.

arrested development
HSC
It's very sad that suicide is so prevalent in our society, but I don't really think there's much that can be done apart from educating people. I also think it's quite interesting and a little bit disturbing to note that suicide is most common in rich, Western societies. It's rather disgusting, really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)