Sup all (1 Viewer)

Striker

hmmm.. we don't share the same thought!

although economics does have it's 'fun and interesting' point, i think business or legal studies is better!

don't you hate that crap with the balance of payments?

sif not 99

well i did biz for prelim and plus a bit more and its just poor mans economics really. Biz is SO SO boring, that boring I dropped it even though I was topping it! Man no offence but its like watching paint dry. Economics is where its really at, why worry about the corner store when you can discuss the economy at large!! much more exciting and has supremely bigger implications for all of us and our lives.

As for the Balance of Payments, thats brilliant, I'd love to discuss CAD implications all day

lexie

Junior Burger
HSC
N/A
going to have to agree with u on that one sif!
i love looking at it all from a broader economic POV

Alex

hmmmmm, it is one thing enjoying eco and another doing well in it. Im sort of in between, I cant figure out whether I like it or if I am doing really well in it or not. Well, i guess ill wait for the trials to figure that one out.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
hehe...yes...

I enjoy economics most of the time, even though some aspects are boring
and it is my best subject in terms of marks @ skool

lisa

a question!

hey guys, can anyone help with this q?

how can structural unemployment provide a supply-side constraint to economic growth? how can a govt attempt to reduce structural unemployment?

I'm not 100% sure about how to answer the 1st part... is that in relation to new/emerging markets?

I have an idea about how to answer the 2nd part though...re-training etc

also, anyone know how well eco scales?:) :p :D

thanks

lexie

Junior Burger
HSC
N/A
well, structural employment arises as a result of developments and changes in the demand for labour (usually a result of new technology, innovation, shifting preferences/likes, microeconomic reform etc) so the demand for labour shifts from inefficient industries to efficient and potent industries. there will always be a segment of the labour force deemed redundant. a 'natural rate' [insert graph :p ] of unemployment will inevitably exist, comprising frictional, hard-core and structural. so its one of the variables dictating the level of employment available. there's ur supply-side constraint to ec growth. a limit is forced upon the readily available supply of labour.
structural unemp cant be solved via macroeconomic policy, esp in aus. its critical that micro reform is coupled with objectives of re-education and training. u could shove in some background info the shift in approach re: structural unemp in aus (keating vs howard gov). keating's 'working nation' policy attempted to address the issue of structural unemp. howard gov has emphasised microec & labour market reform. but i dont know if thats criterion for marking ur essay.

my curriculum coordinator said eco will be scaled at nearly the same level as physics and chem. whatever that may be...sounds good.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
well said lexie

check the lazseeker site
it has the list of how well a subject scaled in 2001, from most favourable to least favourable
apparent economics is the 3rd best scaled 2 unit subject after Chemistry and Physics

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
"how can structural unemployment provide a supply-side constraint to economic growth?"

It's a supply-side constraint because the economy isn't running at its PPC frontier. There is a problem with the allocation of resources, in this case labour. Lexie is right about the short-term unemployment and the fundermental idea that they will be employed again in a more efficient industry.

"how can a govt attempt to reduce structural unemployment?"
Since this is supply side economics, talk amout microeconomic reform and the policy options available for the gov. As lexie pointed out, Keating and Howard have gone in different directions.

Should you some figures such as % of structually umemployed and its trends in recent years to assess the progress Howard's micro reform has achieved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)